• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
SouthernWingsFan

Giving the not-so-popular players some kudos here...

Rate this topic

Here goes in no particular order...

1. Samuelsson - By no means is he anywhere near my favorite, but if he didn't shoot that puck, absolutely no chance for Datsyuk to collect that rebound for the final goal. Yes he shoots way too much I think, but a sun shines on a dog's rear sometimes and things sometime work out. Kudos to that play for Samuelsson and for a fairly decent game for him.

2. Hasek (at least not-so-popular for a long time today) - You drive me nuts with your crease wandering, you flooped up on that 2nd goal, but you stayed sharp and focused throughout the rest of the game. Quit with the wandering, but I'm going to recognize the good as well. The Sharks could've had a 4-5 goalsl if not for Hasek stopping the puc

3. Maltby - He's fallen off the radar for many people in here, myself included, over the past few seasons. Not just flat out awful, but not doing anything spectacular either. Thank you today for your extremely hard PK work forcing a turnover for Cleary, and for all the other PK's.

4. Lilja - Continues to impress me so far these playoffs. Not playing like a superstar by any stretch of the imagination but I think he's taken very few penalties so far, he's not making many brainfart turnovers, and he's throwing his weight around to an extent.

Here goes in no particular order...

1. Samuelsson - By no means is he anywhere near my favorite, but if he didn't shoot that puck, absolutely no chance for Datsyuk to collect that rebound for the final goal. Yes he shoots way too much I think, but a sun shines on a dog's rear sometimes and things sometime work out. Kudos to that play for Samuelsson and for a fairly decent game for him.

2. Hasek (at least not-so-popular for a long time today) - You drive me nuts with your crease wandering, you flooped up on that 2nd goal, but you stayed sharp and focused throughout the rest of the game. Quit with the wandering, but I'm going to recognize the good as well. The Sharks could've had a 4-5 goalsl if not for Hasek stopping the puc

3. Maltby - He's fallen off the radar for many people in here, myself included, over the past few seasons. Not just flat out awful, but not doing anything spectacular either. Thank you today for your extremely hard PK work forcing a turnover for Cleary, and for all the other PK's.

4. Lilja - Continues to impress me so far these playoffs. Not playing like a superstar by any stretch of the imagination but I think he's taken very few penalties so far, he's not making many brainfart turnovers, and he's throwing his weight around to an extent.

Im here to defend my boy Maltby. Everyone considers him a weak player because he doesnt score, but thats not really his game. Hes out there for PK and to mix things up, and he did both of those today very well. He does both those things very well everygame. Hes a very unsung hero in my book, doesnt get the minutes he used to but still very affective at the game he plays. I think hes fantastic. But your other comments were right on the money. Hasek and samuelson drive me nuts but besides hasek's malfuntion today with giving the puck away, they have played very well. good post

Maltby is a born underdog. That's how he thrives, being down and out on the penalty kill. Even if he's not a household name NHL-wide, Detroit fans know what he brings to the team.

Samuelsson, though, needs to have one of those citronella dog collars where every time they bark it sprays a foul-tasting burst of citrus into their face. Every time he tries to slap the puck in from 30 feet away...he gets a spray.

Maltby is a born underdog. That's how he thrives, being down and out on the penalty kill. Even if he's not a household name NHL-wide, Detroit fans know what he brings to the team.

Samuelsson, though, needs to have one of those citronella dog collars where every time they bark it sprays a foul-tasting burst of citrus into their face. Every time he tries to slap the puck in from 30 feet away...he gets a spray.

Haha if we are talking dog tools i think we need to get Hasek a shock collar, and install an invisible fence around the goal crease, and anytime he tries to leave that area it will zap him untill he returns. I think its the only way he will leanr, but like they say, you cant teach an old dog new tricks, so i dunno how well that will work haha. But Amen to the Maltby response!

Samulesson... eh, ok he's been ok as of late. If it wasn't for his shot today, Datsyuks goal doesn't go in. He has been playing more noticably physical lately too, so he's been allright with me.

Maltby has never fallen off the radar for me. I still like him a lot, and will always be one of my favorite Red Wings. He does his job, and that's all you can ask. He did a great job on Clearys goal.

Lilja has impressed to a huge extent lately. I know us LGW'ers like to make the PAIN TRAIN LOLZ!!!!!!!!!!!11 jokes all the time, but seriously, Lilja has played some great hockey in these playoffs. I've seen him lay at least three huge hits tonight, and he hasn't made too many mistakes lately either. Great job on his part.

...and Hasek? Well, what can you say? He's a crazy old man at times, but as long as he get's it done, I have no complaints. He did a great job in the 3rd stopping some of those shots, so he played good today.

I agree with most of this thread. Maltby has been Maltby all playoffs and reminded me of why he is here. Hasek has ben amazing except for the leaving the crease. Sammy has surprised me with some strong play all playoffs, especially the last few games. But Lilja has only half impressed me. He has been physical and I like that about him, but he is still making some poor decisions with the puck, led the team with 6 give aways tonight. Overall Lillypads has been pretty good though, just don't think 2 defensive liabilities like Schneider and Lilja should be paired on the penalty kill like they have been...

Lilja & Maltby really didnt look too good today. Lilja had a few blatent turnovers.. Sammy looked OK. He had a few good plays of protecting the puck good and obviously the shot to give Dats teh goal. He was still trying to get that puck through 4 Sharks and Nabby from the blueline though.

Lilja & Maltby really didnt look too good today. Lilja had a few blatent turnovers.. Sammy looked OK. He had a few good plays of protecting the puck good and obviously the shot to give Dats teh goal. He was still trying to get that puck through 4 Sharks and Nabby from the blueline though.

Maltby was the one who caused Bill Guerin to turn the puck over, ultimately leading to Clearys goal. Not to mention the strong job he did on the PK he did today. Is that not enough for you?

Kudos to Maltby...still and always one of the most unsung heroes on the team.

And to all of the critics who said Pasha would do a disappearing act during the playoffs, guess what suckers? You're dead wrong.

Liljas not popular ?

I love big ole Andreas , He's been our best d-man of the playoffs. Schnider and markov have been pretty good too.

Nick has got to have some kinda injury , hes played pretty bad in the SJ games.

I love Malts , I wouldnt trade him for a washington 1st rounder.

Hasek amazing nuff said.

Samuelson has had so much jump in the playoffs , I never hated him , but now I like the dude

And to all of the critics who said Pasha would do a disappearing act during the playoffs, guess what suckers? You're dead wrong.

Yeah, Pavel's laughing all the way to the bank after today! :P

Ah, you know that's just a joke. I commend Pavel for playing good these playoffs. I think the NBC broadcasters said that he currently leads the team in goals right now too.

Yeah, Pavel's laughing all the way to the bank after today! :P

Ah, you know that's just a joke. I commend Pavel for playing good these playoffs. I think the NBC broadcasters said that he currently leads the team in goals right now too.

Even better , Hes showing EMOTION when he scores , when he scored today , he did the Craig Conroy arm pump. It was a beauty :thumbup:

Even better , Hes showing EMOTION when he scores , when he scored today , he did the Craig Conroy arm pump. It was a beauty :thumbup:

Yeah, that is cool to see him celebrate after scoring for once. It actually caught me by suprise and off guard a little. That was one of the very few times I've seen him celebrate.

I have been very impressed with the resolve of quincey, most notably i remember him keeping check with one of the SJ players behind the net, and the SJ player kept switching directions on him but he stayed with him. Major props to mr quincey

Good thread.

Maltby has a penchant for being unsung until he suddenly does something just amazing. Remember the shift in the playoffs (was it 2002? maybe v. the Avs?) when he had no stick and still blocked like three shots in a row on a power play? I was up out of my seat at home, yelling "Maltby, Maltby, Maltby!!" along with the crowd.

Lilja, Markov and Maltby get my votes for stepping up today, in no particular order... maybe 1 extra prop to Markov. He's making himself indispensible out there. Hudler also showed some real chops out there today, too.

Cheli, Pav and Dom just did their jobs and did them well, seriously, but both Pav and Dom get an A+ for showing up when it really counts. Clutch is everything...

I know if it were not for Samuelson, Pavel wouldn't have scored that goal, but I still don't like the guy. He is mediocre at very most. Lilja I don't mind him at all he plays a physical game and I like that! Hasek was great this game, but he can't continue to make dumb mistakes like he did for SJ's second goal, but he made up for it in the end. I know Maltby doesn't score many goals, but he is very important to the team, he is great at blocking shots and playing on the pk. Somebody also mentioned Quincy, I agree with you he has been very good for the wings, and hasn't made too many mistakes.

Sammy's been playing better because he's not seeing as much time up on our higher lines going against quality opponent's. Babs is using him the way he should and that an average level offensive player with a decent D game who belongs on our 3rd/4th lines. Granted he's shooting less and going to make plays more, and like tonight when Datsyuk was in the area shot to create a great rebound chance for Dats and it payed off big time. He overall seems pretty good in the clutch too.

Lilja though has stepped up his game tremendously and should be admonished for it, short of Franzen and Cleary no one else has elevated their game as much as he has in these playoffs, I actually feel confident with him out there. Had pretty damn good hit for us too in the 1st to help turn the momentum in our favor when San Jose was making us look like a junior club.

Well, Im in Vegas right now so the game times arent really complying with my schedule, but for the few periods that Ive gotten to watch, this team continues to impress me withs its balance. New guys are getting up on the scoreboard each game.

Correct me if Im wrong, but Lilja and Markov are the only guys without some points on the board. Thats not bad.