• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Viperar

Sammy or Bert on top line

Rate this topic

"Babcock said either Todd Bertuzzi or Mikael Samuelsson will start the game on the top line with Zetterberg and Pavel Datsyuk. And he said Kyle Calder's fine."

I think its pretty clear that he should choose bert, I think it will be a good fit until homer is back, calder works better on a lower line in my opinion, and putting sammy up there could be the worst decision of them all.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/weblog/index..._04.html#249329

Bert played pretty well with Zetterberg and Datsyuk and can pull of Homer's routine a hell of a lot better than Sammy. It's a no-brainer in my opinion. Sammy's been pretty good on our lower lines anyways, why mess that up.

At first glance I'd obviously go with Bertuzzi at the top line. Franzen and Bertuzzi have seemed to develop some good chemistry though. Samuelsson isn't my favorite, sometimes he takes pointless shots, but he tries to get it on net, it worked big at the end there with the Datsyuk rebound. I'd rather Bertuzzi on the top line but I wouldn't be throwing a temper tantrum giving Samuelsson a try there if it happens.

Here are the only things I worry about.... I worry about them just working on shutting down the top line, if Bertuzzi played there. Granted Cleary is scoring and doing good things, I feel like this would hurt our other lines dearly. If Bert moves up, we need to do something to make sure Franzen, Cleary, and Filpulla keep scoring.

Bert for sure. Even though it actually only panned out for one goal, Bert with Dats and Zetts dominated play almost every time on the ice. Takeaways, pretty scoring setups, crashing the net, scrums...they were doing it all.

BUT, I also thought the Fillpula, Franzen Bert line was good while it lasted.

esteef

Edited by esteef

Why not throw Sammy on the top line? Frankly, he's sucked these playoffs (except for this last game....he looked alright then.) But his suckitude isn't so great that Z and Dats can't overcome it. Put him with the best we got, and he might just stop sucking....and even if he does, Pavel and Hank will still get theirs. And with Sammy on the top line, you can put together some pretty good-looking combos down below.

So, me, I say go for it. Sammy's been known to pounce on some rebounds, which there ought to be plenty of if Pavel and Hank can put shots on net like we know they can. Then you can use Bert with, say, Calder and Hudler. I like it. Or Bert with Flip and Cleary. Like that too.

I've got to go the other way on this one ... I think Bert is better on the second line, I don't think he works particularly well with Pavel and Hank ... he can't pass the way they can which breaks up their rhythm, and I don't think he's content standing in front of the goal all day waiting for rebounds ... plus what someone already said, with Bert on line 2 we have two pretty intimidating scoring lines plus the Cleary line that they have to worry about matching up with ... that said, Sammy doesn't bring much to improve this line either, but at least the rest of the lines look better ...

Honestly, I haven't really seen anything I like in Bert thus far in the playoffs. He looks a bit disorientated and he floats around a lot. I would like to see either Sammy or Huds on the top line with Dats and Zetts. And, might I add, any line with Cleary is awesome. The guy just is plain awesome!!

With Bert on the top line:

Zetterberg/Datsyuk/Bertuzzi

Hudler/Lang/Calder

Franzen/Filppula/Samuelsson

Cleary/Draper/Maltby

With Sammy on the top line:

Zetterberg/Datsyuk/Samuelsson

Franzen/Filppula/Bertuzzi

Hudler/Lang/Calder

Cleary/Draper/Maltby

Honestly I think I prefer the second set better, despite Sammy's presence on #1.

Hudler/Lang/Calder

Cleary/Draper/Maltby

With Sammy on the top line:

Zetterberg/Datsyuk/Samuelsson

Franzen/Filppula/Bertuzzi

Hudler/Lang/Calder

Cleary/Draper/Maltby

Honestly I think I prefer the second set better, despite Sammy's presence on #1.

Thats true. The lines are much more balanced that way.

Why is Babcok such a ****** bag?? What is wrong with putting Cleary or Franzen on that line instead??

Cleary, Franzen, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Lang, and Bertuzzi. Nobody else except Filppula should be in the top 6.

I personally think that Babs is amazing. I dont' disagree with you that those are our top six players, but I don't think Cleary should be up there. I think Cleary is fine right where he is now with Malts and Drapes.

Why is Babcok such a ****** bag?? What is wrong with putting Cleary or Franzen on that line instead??

Cleary, Franzen, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Lang, and Bertuzzi. Nobody else except Filppula should be in the top 6.

Why does everyone want to move Cleary off of the grind line? He's perfect there and it's where he should stay. He wouldn't be able to play his same game on a scoring line and wouldn't be nearly as effective.

Why does everyone want to move Cleary off of the grind line? He's perfect there and it's where he should stay. He wouldn't be able to play his same game on a scoring line and wouldn't be nearly as effective.

I like my second set of lines.

The first two lines have two of our top six forwards, and the third and fourth have one each. Three of our five best defensive forwards are concentrated together on the fourth, and the third line was one of the league's best lines for the short period it was together in the regular season.

Hudler/Lang/Calder

Cleary/Draper/Maltby

I like this first set but switch out Hudler and Sammy and move the Flip line to second. That Flip line with Hudler (who he works so well with) and Franzen is a poor man's Dats/Zetts/Holmstrom. Bert can fill the top line until Holmstrom's ready to go, (then we juggle again of course :) )

peace,

esteef

babcock is smart, he wants to roll 4 scoring lines, if you move all your power to the first line in having bert z and dats together, the other lines won't be as effective. spacing franzen bert and flip apart is smart.

It will be Bertuzzi. Unless the trend continues of the exact opposite happening of the fate of Samulesson. Just like how we all wanted him benched, and it was Calder instead. In that case, let's hope he does play on the top line. Then maybe he won't! :hehe:

Guest Tunbo Batman

I completely agree. If Babs chooses Sammy, it will be confirmed that he suffers from mental retardation.

yeah, a run of the mill lineup getting 124 and 113 point seasons, and a nice playoff run in 2 tries. babcok is really retarded.

probably because our offense has been pretty spotty in this series so far. It wouldnt be a bad idea to try it out. While Cleary has been awesome, he easily could show up more on the scoresheet with more time on that line. Its a win-win situation.

Best lines:

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Bertuzzi

Hudler - Lang - Cleary/Calder

Franzen - Filppula - Samuelsson

Maltby - Draper - Calder/Cleary

3rd and 4th lines would get equal ice time with Draper/Maltby line doing most the PK.

Cleary or Calder, whoever is playing better that night I'd give the ice-time too. I'd give it Cleary for the start because he's earned it.

I love our third line because you cannot underestimate them. Frazen and Filppula have been great!