• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Crymson

This makes me faintly ill

Rate this topic

Guest Crymson

The Wings’ double-overtime victory over Calgary in the first round might go down in franchise history as the last of its kind. At least that’s the intention of some influential NHL people, including ex-Wings forward Brendan Shanahan and Martin Brodeur  two members of the league’s competition committee.

Shanahan is in favor of altering the playoff overtime format to allow for only one sudden-death 20-minute overtime period of 5-on-5 hockey. After that, it’d be 4-on-4 hockey, just like the overtime play in the NHL’s regular season.

“In five-on-five, you can see that teams generally play very conservatively after an initial burst,†Shanahan told the New York Post. “Even though there’s probably less chance of having as many long overtime games as in the past because of the way referees call penalties now, the hockey just isn’t especially good or entertaining as you move further along. And the longer a game goes, the more impact it has on the quality of play in the next game, and maybe the next two.

“With four-on-four, you’d have exciting, attack hockey. We discussed this during our meeting coming out of the lockout. We discussed five-on-five, four-on-four, three-on-three and a shootout, but we came to the conclusion that we should keep it the way it’s always been. But if it’s on the agenda this summer, and I expect it to be, I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s sentiment to change it and make it somewhat consistent with the way we play the regular season.â€Â

Of course, that begs the slippery-slope question: They wouldn’t dare add shootouts to the playoffs would they?

No, not yet. But don’t dismiss it forever.

“I’m not saying I’d vote for that now, because I wouldn’t, but I think it’s something that’s probably coming at some point,†Shanahan said.

Yikes.

I wonder if Shanahan is becoming senile with age, should he actually be considering tinkering with overtime. Should he ever push for shootouts in the playoffs, I will actively begin to hate him.

To quote a clever man on the TSN forums "I love the NHL as much as the next guy, but the day Alexei Yashin wins the Stanley Cup in a shootout is the day I stop watching hockey."

:puke:

I won't ever stop watching no matter what happens..but that is just freaking HORRIBLE to even THINK of having shootouts in the playoffs.

I absolutely love the 5 on 5 OT periods the way they are. The further it goes the more exciting. That's how I feel anyway!

Edited by HockeyCrazy3033

It's not surprising that some players would be in favor, especially older ones.

Long drawn out OT's are tiring and potentially hurt the team in the long run.

I doubt it'll happen though, so...whatever.

To quote a clever man on the TSN forums "I love the NHL as much as the next guy, but the day Alexei Yashin wins the Stanley Cup in a shootout is the day I stop watching hockey."

Famous last words! Here was my quote from yesteryear: "The day cigarettes reach a dollar a pack is the day I quit smoking."

OK, in China they're still less than a dollar a pack, so I guess I bought myself some time. :D

I hate the thought that the NHL might ever go to a shootout, but I have to admit that 4 on 4 after the first OT makes perfect sense. I was thinking that very same thing after the Vancouver-Dallas game that went on forever. They were both so stingy in their five on five play that the game was the ultimate sleeper.

But no matter what rule they come up with, I'd no more give up hockey than than I'd give up * cough cough * anything else I valued.

As much as I love the rules now and would die if they changed, I can totally understand how a casual fan would stop caring when they don't have stakes in a team after 1, 2, or 3, dead-locked 5v5 overtimes.

For us, it's easy because we understand it. Hockey is already the best sport to us. Shanahan is being a business man here.

As much as I love the rules now and would die if they changed, I can totally understand how a casual fan would stop caring when they don't have stakes in a team after 1, 2, or 3, dead-locked 5v5 overtimes.

For us, it's easy because we understand it. Hockey is already the best sport to us. Shanahan is being a business man here.

I have a *slight* feeling that the players don't feel *quite* the same fond way about 5 OT's as we do.

Shanny, you crazy hobo, we love endless 5-on-5 overtime, and you'll be changing it over my dead body! Grab your torches and pitch forks!

Today we march to New York.

::::grabs torch:::: ::::marches::::: :::::torch goes out::::: ::::drowns:::::

goddamnit

watching van-dal overtime marathon, all i could think about was 'man, this game is really boring and im already focusing all my energy to stay awake, i don't care how it ends, just end it now!'

I think part of the problem is that goalies are getting bigger, faster and studied better. So maybe Shanny should think about tweaking other rules first then tool around with overtime format. what next? rock paper scissors?

Guest Tunbo Batman

can any of you actually see just a little further than your own bellybuttons? multiple overtimes are a CATASTROPHE.

-no TV timeouts means angry sponsors AND even more tired players.

-5,6,7,8 period games are TORTURE for players and staff. the more the games go, the more tired everyone becomes; quality of play just goes down.

-endless games actually diminish your performance for the following games.

-problem is not gonna solve itself. goalies are way too good and still way too big (nets too small), defensive play is easier than ever.

-4 on 4 is awesome and provides exciting play/scoring chances without removing the "team" element from the sport. I would play ANY OT 4 on 4.

It IS broken. DO fix it.

can any of you actually see just a little further than your own bellybuttons? multiple overtimes are a CATASTROPHE.

You win this week's Hyperbole Honor.

-no TV timeouts means angry sponsors AND even more tired players.

f*** sponsors. I mean seriously, who cares about those guys? For the players - that's kind of the point. Game ends eventually cause everyone is so dog-tired.

-5,6,7,8 period games are TORTURE for players and staff. the more the games go, the more tired everyone becomes; quality of play just goes down.

Don't care, sudden death is way too cool, no matter how poorly you think the quality becomes (for the record it isn't a big drop off if you ask me).

-endless games actually diminish your performance for the following games.

Proof?

-problem is not gonna solve itself. goalies are way too good and still way too big (nets too small), defensive play is easier than ever.

Somebody wins everytime: problem solved.

-4 on 4 is awesome and provides exciting play/scoring chances without removing the "team" element from the sport. I would play ANY OT 4 on 4.

Sorry, some goofy nonsense shouldn't be foisted upon the game so that it gets done quicker. I want a legitimate winner, and that means ending the game the way it started: five skaters a side.

Sorry, some goofy nonsense shouldn't be foisted upon the game so that it gets done quicker. I want a legitimate winner, and that means ending the game the way it started: five skaters a side.

Is it possible, though, that you might be defending shootouts, or 4 on 4 2nd OT play, if those were the original rules, and there was talk of changing them to unlimited 5 on 5 OT's now?

Is it possible, though, that you might be defending shootouts, or 4 on 4 2nd OT play, if those were the original rules, and there was talk of changing them to unlimited 5 on 5 OT's now?

Alas, I have no quantum mirror with which I might gaze into that alternate universe, but simply applying my above logic I would say no. The above being that it only makes sense to play the overtimes under the same rules as regulation (in the playoffs).

Edited by Heroes of Hockeytown

Alas, I have no quantum mirror with which I might gaze into that alternate universe, but simply applying my above logic I would say no. The above being that it only makes sense to play the overtimes under the same rules as regulation (in the playoffs).

*POOOF!*

Just warped back in from that other universe. Your other self said basically the same thing.

He also told me to tell you that the missing sock is either behind the dryer or in the vent hose.

Shootouts are not the way to go in the playoffs. But the four on four idea isn't too bad. It is a way to get the stupid trap out of the game. The team with the most talent would be more likely to win instead of the team that can clog up the middle better. It would make players play harder and not be lazy. I'm all for trying most things at least once. (except playoff shootouts.)

f*** sponsors. I mean seriously, who cares about those guys? For the players - that's kind of the point. Game ends eventually cause everyone is so dog-tired.

Who cares about sponsors? Everyone should if they enjoy watching hockey! If the sponsors leave, all we will have to watch is the NBA playoffs this time of the year. I may as well work 24/7!

Edited by LIDDYGIBBY5

Who cares about sponsors? Everyone should if they enjoy watching hockey! If the sponsors leave, all we will have to watch is the NBA playoffs this time of the year. I may as well work 24/7!

Point is that all the sponsors aren't going to leave because of multiple overtimes; endless overitme has been around forever and the NHL has managed to stay afloat. It's basically a non-issue.

:thumbdown::thumbdown:

My 2 pennies: No 4 on 4 in OT. And sure as hell never, ever, ever have shootout's decide playoff games. It ain't broke, quit trying to fix it. I truly cannot get how guys like Shanahan, who did such a great job during the lockout to help get hockey back, can actually think either of those ideas above are good for the game. :blink: Quit trying to pull in fans who normally couldn't care less about the game. Why does the NHL consistently cater to them, when these gimmicks don't work. I could never stop watching hockey, but let teams less deserving win a Cup off a shootout goal one day and ...

What ever happened to maintaining the tradition in sports?

Bettman could give a f*ck about hockey's tradition - that much has long been apparent. :angry: