• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

esteef

Surprise! Nashville player ejected at Worlds.

Rate this topic

Guest Crymson

"Shea Weber, a Nashville Predators defenseman, was ejected 1:19 into Saturday's game after elbowing Seidenberg in the chin. Weber received a five-minute major and a game misconduct. He will miss the rest of Canada's preliminary round matches, against Norway and Slovakia, plus its first qualifying round game."

Nashville player brings jackassery to Worlds

He probably didn't "intend" to do it though. :rolleyes:

esteef

I have begun to suspect that Barry Trotz is behind this sort of behavior.

I have begun to suspect that Barry Trotz is behind this sort of behavior.

Did you guys see when Nashville was playing in San Jose and the fan behind the Preds bench had that sign with a picture of Trotz and a picture of a weasel side by side and they looked identical!!!! Funniest damn thing I've ever seen. :D

haven't seen the hit yet, or read any of the comments on the Preds boards. So right now, all I can say is that it's a shame that this happened and hopefully after being singled out on the international stage that Shea will learn a lesson from this. He's got a great future ahead of him in the NHL, and it would be a shame if the reputations of Hartnell, Nichol and Tootoo are allowed to influence people's opinions of guys like Radulov and Weber.

I'm really hoping that soon, like today or tomorrow, Trotz is let go and we can get a coach in here who won't tolerate the boarderline and blantantly dirty hits. If Hartnell takes a stupid penalty early in the season, then i'd like to see a coach that will sit him for 3-5 games, it might just get him to think about some things and avoid another incident later in the season when it matters more. I'm really hoping that's what this 3 game suspension will do for Weber, hopefully it brings enough humility that next time he can't make a clean hit on someone, he'll keep his elbow down.

whenever I have time to watch the video, i'll comment more.

Guest GodofHockeyStevieY19

Jesus Christ it never ******* ends with these chumps. Seriously, they are BY FAR the dirtiest group of players in the NHL. Absolutely rediculous. We should make bets on which predator is next to be suspended this upcoming season. Cause we all know its gonna happen. Its just a matter of who and when. What a disgrace.

radulov isnt a repeat offender, it just happened to be your team experienced one of his dirty plays.

I meant that, had this been his doing, he'd be a repeat offender. I know Radulov normally plays a clean game, but he's still on the Preds list of recent ejections.

haven't seen the hit yet, or read any of the comments on the Preds boards. So right now, all I can say is that it's a shame that this happened and hopefully after being singled out on the international stage that Shea will learn a lesson from this. He's got a great future ahead of him in the NHL, and it would be a shame if the reputations of Hartnell, Nichol and Tootoo are allowed to influence people's opinions of guys like Radulov and Weber.

I'm really hoping that soon, like today or tomorrow, Trotz is let go and we can get a coach in here who won't tolerate the boarderline and blantantly dirty hits. If Hartnell takes a stupid penalty early in the season, then i'd like to see a coach that will sit him for 3-5 games, it might just get him to think about some things and avoid another incident later in the season when it matters more. I'm really hoping that's what this 3 game suspension will do for Weber, hopefully it brings enough humility that next time he can't make a clean hit on someone, he'll keep his elbow down.

whenever I have time to watch the video, i'll comment more.

I haven't followed much Preds hockey, except for the end of hte season and the games they played the Wings. However, a reputation isn't just assigned, it's earned. Nashville has a team rep of being dirty. It doesn't matter if Shea meant to throw the elbow or not, it was a dirty hit. Although given Shea's history, as someone else pointed out only 60 PIMs this year, I would like to know how tall he is as well as the player who he hit. And I would like to see more angles. This is just for my own decision making process, and by no means do I think it would justify or explain the hit in any manner.

I think it's time we all started to look past the players here. With so many of the players acting and playing in the manner that the Preds do, especially a guy like Shea, it is coming from somewhere else. That somewhere else is Barry Trotz. There is no other explanation, Trotz is telling his players to play this style of hockey. Now I'm not saying that he told Tootoo to sucker punch Robidas, but I am saying he allows and expects his players to play like that. If Tootoo didn't put a dirty hit on Modano, the Robidas punch would never have happened. It's the coaching, and something should be done about it.

I just saw the hit. WTF was he thinking ?!?!?!? :crazy: I know this kid hasn't got a bad reputation for doing stuff like this, hopefully this was just a bit of a brain fart by him and he dosn't make a habit of doing this.

Brain cramp is the most charitable explanation for that hit. He lined the guy up from a distance trying to deliver a big hip check. When the player evades, Weber lunges to deliver the elbow -- nothing inadvertant about it.

Like you, I hope this was an isolated incident and he shows more control in the future.

How much Trotz encourages such play is difficult to gauge. At a minimum, it is the coach's responsibility to set his acceptable limit of borderline play and to demand the discipline not to exceed that limit. Clearly, Trotz has failed to do so, especially with younger players like Radulov and now Weber.

I know that people aren't too high on the Preds these days but Shea Weber is not a dirty player. The dude played 79 games this year and amassed only 60 PIM's. Not exactly Bryan Marchment.

And if you watch that hit in real time, you could tell that his elbow came out from reflex, in a desperation move, after Seidenberg deked to the side - very similar to Kyle McLaren's hit on Richard Zenik from a few years back.

There are a lot of Preds that deserve the 'dirty' label but Weber isn't one of them. He's a hardnosed player that plays it clean. This is only one kneejerk-reaction that I'm sure he wished he could take back.

That's bull. It's clear that Weber lunged towards his head. I'm so positive that if Seidenberg happened to break his neck you'd be singing a different tune. As it is, the dude was clearly f***ed up and probably suffered a concussion.

I can't believe the everyone on the ice didn't start beating the crap out of Weber (including his own teammates)

okay, finally watched the video (can't watch at work, not even supposed to be on message boards there).

I'm pretty speechless after seeing that hit, it was actually worse than I had imagined. I watched and watched, trying to see if there was any kind of explanation along the accidental lines... but I can't see anything. It's just a horrible, horrible play from Weber. He's a big hitter, and i'm sure he was trying to send a message and set the tone, but you can't be pulling crap like that.

As for Trotz's role in the Preds dirty rep. I don't think he tells them to go out and play like that, but I do think that he doesn't discourage it or discipline any of the usual suspects for questionable plays.

What I meant by Trotz telling his players to play this style of hockey, is that Trotz is coaching his players to try hurt players. I don't think by any stretch of the imagination that Trotz actually tells his players to play dirty. There are many ways in which a coach can instruct his players, what Trotz says is one of them. As well as how he says it, and to whom he says it. Simply by standing behind Tootoo for how he plays is enough to send the message to young players that Trotz not only accepts and approves of that type of play, but it's what he wants from them. Trots doesn't have to tell Tootoo to play dirty, he is pretty good at that on his own. But a guy like Webber, come on, 60 PIMs in 79 games? That's Lady Byng material.

Absolutely pathetic elbow. No excuse, hopefully he learns from this. And heaven help any Predators fans or anybody else who is trying to justify his hit. That's not being tough. That's not hockey. That's just a cheap shot.

I just watched this clip again, about 7 times. Something I just noticed. Normally when a player throws an elbow with as much force as Webber does, it's the opposite elbow from his shooting hand (a righty would use left, lefty use right). You see this because the player usually hits the opposing player in a swinging motion while holding a stick, and it's much more difficult to get any realy force behind an elbow using the arm that is the bottom hand on the stick (pick up a stick and hold it like you would while you are playing, try to throw an elbow with the top hand side, then the bottom hand side.) Judging by the sheer amout of force behind that elbow, I have to think it was premeditated. And did anyone else notice the lack of blood on the face of the player who was hit? He was lucky to escape without any serious lacerations.

I always like anyone on team Canada , Even Weber. While an elbow , he was proving to Germany that we arent frigging around this year , the world championships are comin to Canada. :P

Damn right! No matter how many people they have to maim!!!