• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CloudConnected

Joe Thornton

Rate this topic

The funny thing was, when the trade for Thornton first happened there were a lot of Bruin fans that were happy about it. (and many not so happy) Joe had the reputation of disappearing in the playoffs and a large contingent in Boston actually felt like it was going to be a good change. Marco Sturm did pretty well when he first went over there and I remember a few posts from happy Bruins fans. You don't really see too many of those anymore. Even AFAN has gone quiet.

The funny thing was, when the trade for Thornton first happened there were a lot of Bruin fans that were happy about it. (and many not so happy) Joe had the reputation of disappearing in the playoffs and a large contingent in Boston actually felt like it was going to be a good change. Marco Sturm did pretty well when he first went over there and I remember a few posts from happy Bruins fans. You don't really see too many of those anymore. Even AFAN has gone quiet.

Yeah, it's turned out to look like a sucker deal by Boston, but honestly they were in kind of a no win situation. Joe just wasn't happy there and wasn't playing well. Getting out was the best thing that could've happened for his career.

Do you guys not see any games out west until now? :P

Joe Thornton has Datsyuk-like playmaking abilities, but in a 6'4" 220 lb frame.

He dipsydoodles with the puck in ways you would not expect a big man to be able to.

The Wings probably aren't gonna shut him down, but they need to do a better job containing and frustrating him.

Still, it's refreshing to watch Detroit play a hard fought series against a team I actually have some respect for, versus last round of watching Sutter's goon squad do their best impersonations of the Hanson brothers.

That would be 6'4" - 240 lbs.

I can only laugh at the boston bruins so here you are bruins :lol::lol:

oh and I should probably laugh again that your coach is Dave Lewis -- a very nice guy -- but I don't think he has enough fire in his belly :lol:

The biggest reason for Joe's success in SJ is that when he arrived, he was invited to play his game. In Boston, especially in his formative seasons, the Bruins tried to make him into a Holstrom, a front of the net presence.

Joe's physique is conducive to that style of play, but that's not his biggest strength. Wilson surrounded Joe with goal scorers and told him to go out and dictate the pace. And he has.

Not to mention, when you're playing for fans and local media that celebrate you instead of scrutinize you, I've got to imagine you're more motivated.

Thanks for all the compliments, LGWers. I'll pass them along to Joe. ;)

Comparing Joe Thornton to Stevie Y is like comapring a Yugo to a Z06

Cmon man, are you serious?

wow, wow... Hold on here... Who the hell would want a corvette?

Guest Crymson

Joe Thornton played a hell of a game tonight. He was mean, physical and totally dominating. He did all of that while never getting out of control once. After seeing the way Iginla resorted to goonery in the last series and passing it off as leadership, I have to commend Joe for the game he played. He came up big when he had to. I think he's putting the NHL on notice that he's not going to vanish in the postseason from here on out. He's a superstar the league needs on the left coast.

Side note: We only have to take one here at the Tank. Homer's back for game 4, so we'll be better. Win game 4 and then take care of home ice. We can do it.

Thornton isn't the captain of the Sharks, FYI.

Edited by Crymson

Yes but he has chomped down a few wings since that was listed so he has put on a few more pounds.

it took you that long to come up with that?

I'd say he's gained some weight because he's been carrying a lot of the team on his back.

wow, wow... Hold on here... Who the hell would want a corvette?

:lol:

it took you that long to come up with that?

I'd say he's gained some weight because he's been carrying a lot of the team on his back.

:lol:

Well actually it came to me pretty fast because I just got back on the board.

Yes he certainly has been carrying the team. He has been all season. It is a sin that he is not up for the MVP.

The biggest reason for Joe's success in SJ is that when he arrived, he was invited to play his game. In Boston, especially in his formative seasons, the Bruins tried to make him into a Holstrom, a front of the net presence.

Joe's physique is conducive to that style of play, but that's not his biggest strength. Wilson surrounded Joe with goal scorers and told him to go out and dictate the pace. And he has.

Not to mention, when you're playing for fans and local media that celebrate you instead of scrutinize you, I've got to imagine you're more motivated.

Thanks for all the compliments, LGWers. I'll pass them along to Joe. ;)

hit the nail on the head. I dontundertand how the bruins could have treated him so poorly. IM sure they are kicking themselvs in the rear now. espcially after the season he had last year. thanks boston ;)

Guest Crymson

hit the nail on the head. I dontundertand how the bruins could have treated him so poorly. IM sure they are kicking themselvs in the rear now. espcially after the season he had last year. thanks boston ;)

LOL-- if you want to talk about a team kicking itself in the rear, talk about Florida. In exchange for one of the best goaltenders on earth, their net benefit was a backup goaltender and a defenseman who has scored 58 points in 300 games. HAHAHA.