Sharks Fan

• HoF Booster
  • 487 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 02:27 AM

QUOTE(regwinguofmfan @ May 1, 2007 - 03:07PM) View Post

Comparing Joe Thornton to Stevie Y is like comapring a Yugo to a Z06

Cmon man, are you serious?

A Yugo? biggrin.gif

Kind of a stretch in the other direction, don't you think?

Not to take anything from Stevie Y, as I'm a big admirer of his, and his record speaks for itself, but Thornton did win the 2006 Art Ross Trophy. That alone put his name up there with Gretzky, Lemieux, Howe, and other hockey greats (not Stevie Y, but that doesn't mean he wasn't great), but Thornton also did something that only two other two players in the history of the NHL have ever done, and that's had consecutive 90-assist seasons. Wayne Gretzky did it (12 in a row, 1980-81 through 1991-92) and Mario Lemieux also did it (1987-88 and 1988-89) .

So while I don't know how (or even whether I'd want to) compare JT with SY, I'd say Thornton deserves at the very least a nice shiny Volkswagon Jetta rating in your analogy, don't you? Or a Ford Pinto, or something a little better than a Yugo.

#22 discohadestwo

discohadestwo

4th Line Grinder

• Guests
  • PipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 02:30 AM

Don't cover him. Cover everyone else & the passing lanes.
No matter how many people you put on him, he's going to put it on someone's tape. Lay off him & don't let him pass.

#23 Defenseman13

Defenseman13

4th Line Grinder

• Bronze Booster
  • 271 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 03:23 AM

QUOTE(CloudConnected @ April 30, 2007 - 09:42PM) View Post

Joe Thornton played a hell of a game tonight. He was mean, physical and totally dominating. He did all of that while never getting out of control once. After seeing the way Iginla resorted to goonery in the last series and passing it off as leadership, I have to commend Joe for the game he played. He came up big when he had to. I think he's putting the NHL on notice that he's not going to vanish in the postseason from here on out. He's a superstar the league needs on the left coast.

Side note: We only have to take one here at the Tank. Homer's back for game 4, so we'll be better. Win game 4 and then take care of home ice. We can do it.

Big Joe has been known to take a few bad penalties, but yes... the goonery of Iginla was surprising. Iginla is the guy you do NOT want to get pissed off, as he usually steps it up and scores.

And yes, I'm a bit nervous about that lurk that's going to be in front of our net for game 4......

QUOTE(discohadestwo @ May 1, 2007 - 12:30AM) View Post

No matter how many people you put on him, he's going to put it on someone's tape. Lay off him & don't let him pass.

That's a safe bet. And kicking up the physical play.

QUOTE(Grypho @ April 30, 2007 - 10:10PM) View Post

The SJ boards has a Thornton hater (I think he's a Bruins fan, but I'm not sure) whose only goal in life, it seems, is to attack Thornton and downplay his value and contributions to hockey. He comes off looking like the village idiot, of course, so he's allowed to remain, but if you can't set aside your own colors long enough to at least acknowledge reality, there's no chance of seeing all that's going on. Joe Thornton was, indeed, the best thing that ever happened to the Sharks, and regardless how he was seen in previous games, he definitely showed up for this one.

Class thread. Nothing but class. Props to you all.

clap.gif

Those guys on the SJ boards take things SO seriously. It's no business over there.

IPB Image

Edited by Defenseman13, 01 May 2007 - 03:53 AM.

IPB Image

#24 68 Z-28

68 Z-28

Draftee

• 10 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 03:35 AM

QUOTE(discohadestwo @ May 1, 2007 - 12:30AM) View Post

Joe can score too. He's just so damn effective drawing the D and then finding the open guy.
IPB Image

#25 Defenseman13

Defenseman13

4th Line Grinder

• Bronze Booster
  • 271 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 03:55 AM

QUOTE(68 Z-28 @ May 1, 2007 - 01:35AM) View Post

Joe can score too. He's just so damn effective drawing the D and then finding the open guy.

There was a great quote earlier in the season by Randy (color guy) talking about Joe's dad, who was yelling at him all game to SHOOT. One would think that a guy who could put an impossible pass on the tape could pick a corner. He can... but hey, I'm not complaining. Ok, a little. I think he's a little better at that this year...
IPB Image

#26 Grypho

Grypho

Sharks Fan

• HoF Booster
  • 487 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 04:42 AM

QUOTE(Defenseman13 @ May 1, 2007 - 04:55PM) View Post

There was a great quote earlier in the season by Randy (color guy) talking about Joe's dad, who was yelling at him all game to SHOOT. One would think that a guy who could put an impossible pass on the tape could pick a corner. He can... but hey, I'm not complaining. Ok, a little. I think he's a little better at that this year...

I remember that!

This is one I've thought about a lot when watching Thornton play, even when he was with Boston. He's such an imposing presence on the ice that he draws a lot of attention to himself. His moves are telegraphed visually so much, that every netminder remains square to him at all times - despite the fact that he's a known disher! I think his options were cut down years ago in regard to taking direct shots from a stand still, and he developed a mindset along the way that says, "Hey, why should I shoot when my team mate over there has such a juicy opening? All I have to do his make the puck beat the goalie's ability to adjust accordingly and get square to him."

This goes right to what I see as a defining characteristic of JT's personality as well, because he really does seem to enjoy being background support, while lifting someone else up. It's almost incidental that this launches him into the limelight even more, because I don't think that's his intent at all.

Plus, Joe Thornton's favorite shots (on a shootouts especially) are low, just like his passes, as we can see as he goes tape to tape with uncanny accuracy. He doesn't seem as confident (to me at least) giving the puck any air unless he's taking a pass and has a large hole or an empty net to shoot at -- and most of those shots are while he's in motion. So it makes sense to me that he'd prefer to keep it low where his strength is, and just pass the puck and let a hot dog like Cheechoo (or Marleau) put it up top shelf and take most of the glory.

Edited by Grypho, 01 May 2007 - 04:47 AM.

#27 Draperfan01

Draperfan01

Jr. Prospect

• 20 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 06:23 AM

QUOTE(regwinguofmfan @ May 1, 2007 - 03:07AM) View Post

Comparing Joe Thornton to Stevie Y is like comapring a Yugo to a Z06

Cmon man, are you serious?

That's not fair. Yzerman is better than a Yugo...

#28 cincywingfan

cincywingfan

The Fronz approves

• Gold Booster
  • 548 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 08:43 AM

Thorton was a man among boys again last night....you have to tip your cap.

But this is no place to bring Stevie Y's career up. The tallent level may be nearly equal but they play(ed) completely different styles. Please continue the props for Thorton but leave Stevie and his legacy out of the conversation.

#29 Hank

Hank

60% of the time it works everytime

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 08:50 AM

QUOTE(CloudConnected @ May 1, 2007 - 12:42AM) View Post

Joe Thornton played a hell of a game tonight. He was mean, physical and totally dominating. He did all of that while never getting out of control once. After seeing the way Iginla resorted to goonery in the last series and passing it off as leadership, I have to commend Joe for the game he played. He came up big when he had to. I think he's putting the NHL on notice that he's not going to vanish in the postseason from here on out. He's a superstar the league needs on the left coast.

Side note: We only have to take one here at the Tank. Homer's back for game 4, so we'll be better. Win game 4 and then take care of home ice. We can do it.

I've always been a big fan of Joe Thornton. I was kicking myself when I found out he was dealt and for whom. I was certain the Wings could have put together a much better package. But then I found out that Boston only contacted 3 other teams (San Jose, Calgary and another one I can't remember). Boston ownership hates the Wings so he would never have been dealt here.

Good for San Jose to get him, and for so little. Thornton has been a man among boys out there. If he would just shoot a little more often he'd be even more dangerous.

#30 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,817 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 08:54 AM

QUOTE(Grypho @ May 1, 2007 - 03:27AM) View Post

A Yugo? biggrin.gif

Kind of a stretch in the other direction, don't you think?

Not to take anything from Stevie Y, as I'm a big admirer of his, and his record speaks for itself, but Thornton did win the 2006 Art Ross Trophy. That alone put his name up there with Gretzky, Lemieux, Howe, and other hockey greats (not Stevie Y, but that doesn't mean he wasn't great), but Thornton also did something that only two other two players in the history of the NHL have ever done, and that's had consecutive 90-assist seasons. Wayne Gretzky did it (12 in a row, 1980-81 through 1991-92) and Mario Lemieux also did it (1987-88 and 1988-89) .

So while I don't know how (or even whether I'd want to) compare JT with SY, I'd say Thornton deserves at the very least a nice shiny Volkswagon Jetta rating in your analogy, don't you? Or a Ford Pinto, or something a little better than a Yugo.

Slow down fella. The Art Ross is given out every year, and just because you win it doesn't put you in the HOF, which JT will NOT be in with his current stats and awards (and lack of awards).

Current LGW Whippin' Boy: Referees

HTBanner400x100.jpg

#31 bellarina

bellarina

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 08:57 AM

QUOTE(kylee @ May 1, 2007 - 01:12AM) View Post

Thornton was a total beast tonight.

Wings need to figure him out, and quick

Hit him low, Punish his knees. The wings need to get under his skin and off his game. As good as he is he gets easily discouraged ala Boston.
com mas bacalhao filho!
CR 7

#32 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 09:02 AM

QUOTE(bellarina @ May 1, 2007 - 09:57AM) View Post

Hit him low, Punish his knees.

crazy.gif Are you serious?

#33 Hank

Hank

60% of the time it works everytime

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 09:06 AM

QUOTE(bellarina @ May 1, 2007 - 09:57AM) View Post

Hit him low, Punish his knees. The wings need to get under his skin and off his game. As good as he is he gets easily discouraged ala Boston.

The only way you 'eliminate' Joe is to take away his passing lanes. Besides doing that, he will do whatever he wants out there. He's too big and skilled to contain for 60 minutes. And even when he's not putting up points on the board he's tattooing guys to them.

Joe's a beast and it's been a lot of fun watching him - even if he's on the other team.

#34 Grypho

Grypho

Sharks Fan

• HoF Booster
  • 487 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 09:11 AM

QUOTE(Wings_Dynasty @ May 1, 2007 - 09:54PM) View Post

Slow down fella. The Art Ross is given out every year, and just because you win it doesn't put you in the HOF, which JT will NOT be in with his current stats and awards (and lack of awards).

The Stanley Cup is given out every year, but I wouldn't call it nothing...

OK, fine, the Art Ross trophy that's given to one player in the NHL every year, and the consecutive 90-assist seasons aren't all that big a deal.

Could we at least make JT a sporty little Toyota? (doesn't have to be a new one, and you can pick the color)

#35 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 09:12 AM

QUOTE(toby91_ca @ May 1, 2007 - 10:02AM) View Post

crazy.gif Are you serious?

The Wings have negotiated a one-week deal with Bryan Marchment to handle the "Thornton Problem."
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#36 CloudConnected

CloudConnected

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 09:21 AM

QUOTE(Wings_Dynasty @ May 1, 2007 - 09:54AM) View Post

Well, yeah, you're right he won't be in with his current stats. The thing is that the guy is only 27. He has at least ten more years left in him. He has just under a point per game average, which is ridiculous considering he was about 100 points behind that pace after his first two dismal years in the league. On top of that, he's going to be playing with Cheechoo, Michalek and Marleau for the next four or five years at least. So by the time it's all said and done, barring injury, he'll be in the Hall of Fame range statistically. There's no doubt in my mind.

Edited by CloudConnected, 01 May 2007 - 09:24 AM.

#37 hoogs

hoogs

3rd Line Checker

• Silver Booster
  • 403 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 09:27 AM

Joe definitely looked good last night, very intimidating..........I was laughing everytime he lined up for a faceoff and TOWERED over the Wing he was facing, i was like WTF. Guess I didnt realize he was that big, definitely top 5 in the league.

#38 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 09:55 AM

Why is Datsyuk's salary the same if not more than Joe's next year? The only solice I can take is that I believe Joe's contract is a couple years old.

#39 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,247 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 10:06 AM

Do you guys not see any games out west until now? tongue.gif

Joe Thornton has Datsyuk-like playmaking abilities, but in a 6'4" 220 lb frame.

He dipsydoodles with the puck in ways you would not expect a big man to be able to.

The Wings probably aren't gonna shut him down, but they need to do a better job containing and frustrating him.

Still, it's refreshing to watch Detroit play a hard fought series against a team I actually have some respect for, versus last round of watching Sutter's goon squad do their best impersonations of the Hanson brothers.

#40 TheLegend19

TheLegend19

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 10:15 AM

QUOTE(kylee @ May 1, 2007 - 01:12AM) View Post

Thornton was a total beast tonight.

Wings need to figure him out, and quick

I don't know if we can. He's too big.
stevienewjo4.gif