#41 Valas19

Valas19

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 10:19 AM

QUOTE(FireCaptain @ May 1, 2007 - 01:48AM) View Post

One of the top 20 trades EVER.

It certainly tops the Blues sending Bernie Federko and Tony McKegney to the Wings for Adam Oates. Man, the was awful.

Who was the marquee player that the Bruins got? Wasn't it Brad Stuart? Ouch.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

#42 Draperfan01

Draperfan01

Jr. Prospect

• 20 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 10:31 AM

QUOTE(TheLegend19 @ May 1, 2007 - 11:15AM) View Post

I don't know if we can. He's too big.

I was going back to some of the old threads, and it looks like some of the Sharks fans were going on and on about their size. You guys beat up on one or 2 of them in particular.

But I can sure see what they were talking about.

#43 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,897 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 10:32 AM

QUOTE(Draperfan01 @ May 1, 2007 - 08:31AM) View Post

I was going back to some of the old threads, and it looks like some of the Sharks fans were going on and on about their size. You guys beat up on one or 2 of them in particular.

I don't think anyone was disagreeing with those Sharks fans.

But there was a guy who was bringing it up in every single thread, even when completely unrelated to the topic.

There's no denying the Sharks are a big team.

#44 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 11:46 AM

Joe sure would look good wearing the Winged Wheel. Oh well.

The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

#45 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 11:47 AM

QUOTE(BlakChamber @ May 1, 2007 - 12:46PM) View Post

I'll get the PS2 Brigade in here pronto. wink.gif
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#46 Hank

Hank

60% of the time it works everytime

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 11:56 AM

QUOTE(Valas19 @ May 1, 2007 - 11:19AM) View Post

It certainly tops the Blues sending Bernie Federko and Tony McKegney to the Wings for Adam Oates. Man, the was awful.

Who was the marquee player that the Bruins got? Wasn't it Brad Stuart? Ouch.

And he got dealt because he was an impending UFA.
In the end, Joe Thornton got dealt for Marco Sturm, Chuck Kobasew and Andrew Ference. That's a joke. Joe Thornton could have fetched far better players or at least 1 superstar player at the very least.

#47 Valas19

Valas19

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 12:26 PM

QUOTE(Hank @ May 1, 2007 - 12:56PM) View Post

And he got dealt because he was an impending UFA.
In the end, Joe Thornton got dealt for Marco Sturm, Chuck Kobasew and Andrew Ference. That's a joke. Joe Thornton could have fetched far better players or at least 1 superstar player at the very least.

Ahh, yes...Sturm. Wonder where the heck I got Brad Stuart from? blink.gif
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

#48 uncle ovipositor

uncle ovipositor

Rookie

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 12:45 PM

QUOTE(HockeyCrazy3033 @ April 30, 2007 - 11:06PM) View Post

Stupid is too kind of a word me thinks. They were out of their damn minds. They must be kicking theirselves in the ass right about now.

I don't think it was a bad trade, except in the sense that they could have gotten more for him. He was having a lousy time in Boston, where they expected him to be the whole team. He was miserable, they were furious. Of course they got rid of him.

If they had any sense they might have tried to make it work, but they don't. Worked out well for the Sharks.

QUOTE(discohadestwo @ May 1, 2007 - 12:30AM) View Post

Don't cover him. Cover everyone else & the passing lanes.
No matter how many people you put on him, he's going to put it on someone's tape. Lay off him & don't let him pass.

He ate out on this approach a lot at the start of the regular season. Teams would try to do exactly that and he would stutter a bit, wait until the goalie slid to the side where they figured he'd be passing, then he'd pop it in. Funny every time.

#49 spaMgobLiN

spaMgobLiN

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 12:52 PM

QUOTE(Draperfan01 @ May 1, 2007 - 10:31AM) View Post

I remember that too, but those sharks fans we're boasting and pounding there chest so they deserved anything they got from these boards, I just say let the game speak for it's self why go to someone else's boards to rub anything in? That's kid stuff.

Thornton was amazing lastnight, but I thought ryane clowe had a monster game, and he is having a fantastic playoff run so far and this is just his first one at the nhl level ;-P . The future is bright for the sharkies!

#50 clamchop

clamchop

Jr. Prospect

• 23 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 01:06 PM

QUOTE(Defenseman13 @ May 1, 2007 - 03:23AM) View Post

Big Joe has been known to take a few bad penalties, but yes... the goonery of Iginla was surprising. Iginla is the guy you do NOT want to get pissed off, as he usually steps it up and scores.

And yes, I'm a bit nervous about that lurk that's going to be in front of our net for game 4......
That's a safe bet. And kicking up the physical play.
Those guys on the SJ boards take things SO seriously. It's no business over there.

IPB Image

why do you care so much about what goes on in the SJsharks.com message board if you hate it so much? Like the feeder or chumpboard is any better.

Edited by clamchop, 01 May 2007 - 01:07 PM.

#51 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,897 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 01:38 PM

QUOTE(BlakChamber @ May 1, 2007 - 09:46AM) View Post

If Holland didn't suck so bad we could have Thornton and Luongo on the team right now and be kicking everyone's ass!!

#52 Butt End

Butt End

Draftee

• 3 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 01:41 PM

The funny thing was, when the trade for Thornton first happened there were a lot of Bruin fans that were happy about it. (and many not so happy) Joe had the reputation of disappearing in the playoffs and a large contingent in Boston actually felt like it was going to be a good change. Marco Sturm did pretty well when he first went over there and I remember a few posts from happy Bruins fans. You don't really see too many of those anymore. Even AFAN has gone quiet.

#53 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,897 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 01:43 PM

QUOTE(Butt End @ May 1, 2007 - 11:41AM) View Post

The funny thing was, when the trade for Thornton first happened there were a lot of Bruin fans that were happy about it. (and many not so happy) Joe had the reputation of disappearing in the playoffs and a large contingent in Boston actually felt like it was going to be a good change. Marco Sturm did pretty well when he first went over there and I remember a few posts from happy Bruins fans. You don't really see too many of those anymore. Even AFAN has gone quiet.

Yeah, it's turned out to look like a sucker deal by Boston, but honestly they were in kind of a no win situation. Joe just wasn't happy there and wasn't playing well. Getting out was the best thing that could've happened for his career.

#54 4th line grinder

4th line grinder

Draftee

• 10 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 02:01 PM

QUOTE(haroldsnepsts @ May 1, 2007 - 10:06AM) View Post

Do you guys not see any games out west until now? tongue.gif

Joe Thornton has Datsyuk-like playmaking abilities, but in a 6'4" 220 lb frame.

He dipsydoodles with the puck in ways you would not expect a big man to be able to.
The Wings probably aren't gonna shut him down, but they need to do a better job containing and frustrating him.

Still, it's refreshing to watch Detroit play a hard fought series against a team I actually have some respect for, versus last round of watching Sutter's goon squad do their best impersonations of the Hanson brothers.

That would be 6'4" - 240 lbs.

#55 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,897 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 02:04 PM

QUOTE(4th line grinder @ May 1, 2007 - 12:01PM) View Post

That would be 6'4" - 240 lbs.

I was taking a guess based on what I'd remembered hearing.

But actually it's 6'4" and 235.

http://www.sjsharks....sp?player_id=29

#56 gameover

gameover

Jr. Prospect

• 27 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 02:25 PM

I can only laugh at the boston bruins so here you are bruins laugh.gif laugh.gif

oh and I should probably laugh again that your coach is Dave Lewis -- a very nice guy -- but I don't think he has enough fire in his belly laugh.gif

#57 tiburones

tiburones

Draftee

• 7 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 06:59 PM

San Jose sent forwards Marco Sturm and Wayne Primeau and defenseman Brad Stuart to the Bruins for Joe Thornton. Marco is the only one left in Boston, as you know the other two are in Calgary.

#58 murf

murf

Jr. Prospect

• 19 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 07:28 PM

The biggest reason for Joe's success in SJ is that when he arrived, he was invited to play his game. In Boston, especially in his formative seasons, the Bruins tried to make him into a Holstrom, a front of the net presence.
Joe's physique is conducive to that style of play, but that's not his biggest strength. Wilson surrounded Joe with goal scorers and told him to go out and dictate the pace. And he has.

Not to mention, when you're playing for fans and local media that celebrate you instead of scrutinize you, I've got to imagine you're more motivated.

Thanks for all the compliments, LGWers. I'll pass them along to Joe. wink.gif

#59 SFAN

SFAN

Draftee

• 11 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 05:20 PM

QUOTE(regwinguofmfan @ May 1, 2007 - 12:07AM) View Post

Comparing Joe Thornton to Stevie Y is like comapring a Yugo to a Z06

Cmon man, are you serious?

wow, wow... Hold on here... Who the hell would want a corvette?

#60 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 05:29 PM

QUOTE(CloudConnected @ April 30, 2007 - 10:42PM) View Post

Joe Thornton played a hell of a game tonight. He was mean, physical and totally dominating. He did all of that while never getting out of control once. After seeing the way Iginla resorted to goonery in the last series and passing it off as leadership, I have to commend Joe for the game he played. He came up big when he had to. I think he's putting the NHL on notice that he's not going to vanish in the postseason from here on out. He's a superstar the league needs on the left coast.

Side note: We only have to take one here at the Tank. Homer's back for game 4, so we'll be better. Win game 4 and then take care of home ice. We can do it.

Thornton isn't the captain of the Sharks, FYI.

Edited by Crymson, 02 May 2007 - 05:29 PM.