• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Valas19

What does Mikael Samuelsson bring to the table?

Rate this topic

I seriously don't understand why this guy is in the lineup. Well, with the injury to Homer I do but when Homer is back who's gonna sit? Hudler again? Calder? WHY??

I was honestly disappointed 2 years ago when Sammy had the 20+ goal season. I knew that meant we were going to sign him to a multi year contract. What does he do other than have a decent shot from the point and top of the circle? He doesn't really play a physical game despite his size. Anytime there is a scrum somewhere he tends to be on the outskirts of it not really doing anything. Even Datsyuk will mix it up. He isn't a quick skater. He doesn't seem to get back and play defence very well.

Could someone put on the rose colored glasses and enlighten me as to why he's in the lineup every game?

He is the most defensively reliable of the three borderline guys (Calder, Hudler, Sammy). You're right in that he doesn't bring much to the table in terms of pure offense, but in terms of the DRW gameplan, he's the better fit.

I wonder it myself sometimes.

He has a good shot, but no aim, meaning the puck sails right to the goaltender's chest or far wide of the net. He has good size, but rarely uses it. I've noticed some better puck-handling from him lately, but he always seems to lose the puck at the blue line leading to odd-man rushes the other way. It looked like he was taking a step forward in the late-goings of the Calgary series, but against San Jose, he's taken two steps back.

I keep trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, thinking "Maybe he'll shoot and get a juicy rebound off Nabokov..." but it rarely happens. He'll take 70-footers when he's the only one in the zone, with no one around to grab any potential rebounds or screen the goaltender.

As I alluded to in another thread...I'd love to get inside Babcock's head and see for myself what Mike sees in him, night in and night out. I'm just not seeing it.

Like others have said, he can be very reliable defensively and he hussles.

But why a guy who only has 3 assists in 15 playoff games with Detroit is continually put on the top 2 lines and PP is beyond me.

It only took Babcock 2 seasons and 14 playoff games to finally treat Lang the way he deserves but now I'm sure we'll have to endure 20 more playoff games before he finally relegates Sammy to where he belongs - the 4th line and nowhere else.

If we're forced to use a forward on the point it should be Maltby. He has the speed to get back and his shot is way more accurate. I understand that B'cock might be worried about overusing him on the PK and the PP but you could always substitute Cleary on the PK with Drapes or maybe sack up and realise this is the playoffs and some players like Maltby and Cleary can handle more load at that time of year.

He has good hands, a solid shot and great play making skills. He is a big body that can cause problems in the offensive zone, he can play either Winger or Center. He has a cannon on the point for the power play, he can score, he can grind it out in the corners. He plays very good Defense.

Yes Sammy can play better then what we have seen out of him in the playoffs but rememeber he was injuryed earlier in the year and my not be 100% back into games. Sometimes it takes awhile for a player to come back from his first major injury because he doesnt want to get hurt again so he doesnt take the same chances he did before the injury, the only way to get over something like this is time.

Mikael Samuelsson is a smart hockey player, he adds a scoring touch with great defensive play and a large body. He is what the Red Wings need. Size, speed and hands for a winger.

Please look for a new team to root for. You and all your Lang Sammy and now Hasek and Babcock haters need to leave the Wings Fan Bandwagon, We simply dont have room for you fair weather fans.

I didn't think he played that bad last night. I wasn't yelling at him like I usually do every game. I ended up yelling at Bertuzzi for most of the night.

Edited by Zeta Power 40

He brings a rock solid point man on our always talented, successful and hot PP unit. he also provides a very air tight excuse as to why Huddles should be benched everygame :ph34r: (ninja's)

Please look for a new team to root for. You and all your Lang Sammy and now Hasek and Babcock haters need to leave the Wings Fan Bandwagon, We simply dont have room for you fair weather fans.

Ahh yes. Because I question one player that isn't producing regardless of the fact he's coming back from an injury or not I am clearly not a devoted Wings fan.

Ahh yes. Because I question one player that isn't producing regardless of the fact he's coming back from an injury or not I am clearly not a devoted Wings fan.

Ahh yes he didnt help the Wings get the Game Winner in game 2, So sorry that is not good enough for you. Geez how could a NHL player not score every shift, I mean come on he is a Pro Hockey player, what is his problem.

Leave and dont let the Joe Louis door hit you on the way out.

I was the biggest Samuelson hater, but i have to admit that he is earning my respect these playoffs. I thought he played a good game last night, he was one of the few who could actually take the puck away from the Sharks sometimes. Also he should be the one who slides down low to the left circle on the PP. How many times have we seen Lidstrom recieve the puck there wide open and not be able to one-time it because he's a left handed shot.

I have to agree with Kozac. I thought that he played pretty well last night. He's not the most offensively gifted but he is throwing his weight around a bit more this series. He's very defensively responsible. I don't know what it is but he's much better this series than last.

I was the biggest Samuelson hater, but i have to admit that he is earning my respect these playoffs. I thought he played a good game last night, he was one of the few who could actually take the puck away from the Sharks sometimes. Also he should be the one who slides down low to the left circle on the PP. How many times have we seen Lidstrom recieve the puck there wide open and not be able to one-time it because he's a left handed shot.

?

I think this is the wrong day to start this thread. I thought Sammy played a decent to good game last night. He moved the puck on the point, he backchecked, he finished his checks and he didn't look lost out there with Pavs and Hank. He still shoots the puck right into the goalie's chest far too much for my liking, but he hasn't really been floating a wrister at the goal from 60 feet too often in this series.

San Jose outplayed us in the third guys. They have the most dominant player in the series, and he played like it last night. Homer's back for game four, we'll be ok.

I think this is the wrong day to start this thread. I thought Sammy played a decent to good game last night.

Not exactly... one good game doesn't shift the blame from other players in their bashing threads... so to be fair, one decent game out of 9 shouldn't nully this one.

Not exactly... one good game doesn't shift the blame from other players in their bashing threads... so to be fair, one decent game out of 9 shouldn't nully this one.

How quickly you forget the person that setup the game winner in Game 2. Hmmm maybe you should go watch Game 2 over again and see how Sammy played?.

He has played well in this series. He is a solid player.

Yeah, but you need to be fair too. This isn't his first good game this playoff season. And I'm usually right there yelling at my TV about Sammy, but he hasn't done the things that drive me nuts the last two games. And he had a couple of decent games in the Flames series. I know a lot of the people on this site are too busy posting things in the game day thread during the game to actually take notice of what's going on on the ice, but starting a new thread making him the whipping boy isn't fair today. If someone watched the game last night, they would've seen what he can bring to the team, nullifying the need for this post. I'll agree he doesn't bring his A game enough, but give the guy a break after he has a couple good games at least.

I think this is the wrong day to start this thread. I thought Sammy played a decent to good game last night. He moved the puck on the point, he backchecked, he finished his checks and he didn't look lost out there with Pavs and Hank. He still shoots the puck right into the goalie's chest far too much for my liking, but he hasn't really been floating a wrister at the goal from 60 feet too often in this series.

San Jose outplayed us in the third guys. They have the most dominant player in the series, and he played like it last night. Homer's back for game four, we'll be ok.

Bad timing on my part. This pretty much stems from last series and a lot of games since he's been back not including the 5 point game against the Hawks. Maybe it's just Lang, maybe he's still tentative or flat out still hurt from the injury.

I guess this series he's more of an asset because of his size and the fact that the Sharks are are big team. I just don't see him using his body like I think he should. He's a big boy. He's doesn't have to be a Bertuzzi and knock people on their can but maybe once in awhile he should just to send a message.

Look, despite the topic I really don't hate the guy. I want to see him do better. Am I asking too much? And no, I am not expecting a point a game, just a little more presence felt.

Bad timing on my part. This pretty much stems from last series and a lot of games since he's been back not including the 5 point game against the Hawks. Maybe it's just Lang, maybe he's still tentative or flat out still hurt from the injury.

I guess this series he's more of an asset because of his size and the fact that the Sharks are are big team. I just don't see him using his body like I think he should. He's a big boy. He's doesn't have to be a Bertuzzi and knock people on their can but maybe once in awhile he should just to send a message.

Look, despite the topic I really don't hate the guy. I want to see him do better. Am I asking too much? And no, I am not expecting a point a game, just a little more presence felt.

See, I can't believe I'm defending the guy like I am. He's been my least favorite Wing all season, but he has been physical. In the Calgary series he got Iginla off his game with some solid checks and he's been putting guys into the boards all playoffs long. The one knock on his physical play is he doesn't get into the high traffic areas to try and score. He has been hitting though.

The one knock on his physical play is he doesn't get into the high traffic areas to try and score. He has been hitting though.

That pretty much sums up with what I've failed to clearly say so I thank you for that. No guys in front of the net means a halfway decent goalie will make almost every save. Having a really good one like Nabakov makes it even worse.

The one knock on his physical play is he doesn't get into the high traffic areas to try and score.

Not to defend Sammy but this statement could be said about a lot of our forwards.

He has good hands, a solid shot and great play making skills.

You know we're talking about Mikael Samuelsson right? Good hands, solid shot or the word playmaker aren't on any scouting reports i've seen. :P

I'm getting a vision ... him skating with the puck. Over the blueline. Akward. Oh oh. A pass. Umm, actually it's a TURNOVER. Sloppy. Wait. Here he comes again. Wait. Wait. A shot! Right into the crest. Whistle. :thumbdown::thumbdown:

Edited by motorcitykid