• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
SweWings

About that Don Cherry

Rate this topic

The more I see this guy the more I get confused. I'm not sure if I should like the guy or not. The suits he wears are amazing - the one tonight is just :ph34r: . He can't express himself too clearly at times but that's ok, it adds to his charm. His opinions, meh, sometimes I agree, sometimes I don't but that's the point isn't it, you don't want a commentator to sit there calmly and say stuff that you can agree with all the time. On the other hand sometimes he can say so f-ed up things.

All in all though, the suits do it for me. Can't stop laughing whenever I see him.

Don Cherry is like your drunk uncle at a family party.

He's loud, obnoxious, a little racist, but usually pretty friggin entertaining if you don't take anything he says too seriously.

:lol: I like that!!

He's loud, obnoxious, a little racist, but usually pretty friggin entertaining if you don't take anything he says too seriously.

If you add on handing out money to all the kids, i would almost think you know my uncle personally!

Don Cherry is a living hockey legend. He is flamboyant, opinonated, loud, obnoxious, and boarderline crazy. But I love him. I respect his opinons as they are right about 80% of the time, but when he is wrong, HE ADMITS IT!!! Class act, crazy at times, and very animated, but classy.

The best thing about Cherry is his absolute inability to correctly pronounce any semi-unique names.

He pronounces Luongo “Lalongo†or simply “Longo’

He pronounces Koivu “coy-voy.â€Â

Lecavlier is “la va cava lee airâ€Â

St. Louis is simply pronounced like it’s St. Louis, MO.

He can’t pronounce Jaromir, so I think he’s given up on trying and he simply calls him “Yammy.â€Â

He can’t pronounce Jaromir, so I think he’s given up on trying and he simply calls him “Yammy.â€Â

That's what so embarrassing to see. Ron had to jump in and correct him; you could hear the desperation in his voice to get Don to at least get something remotely right-sounding down.

The best thing about Cherry is his absolute inability to correctly pronounce any semi-unique names.

He pronounces Luongo “Lalongo†or simply “Longo’

He pronounces Koivu “coy-voy.â€Â

Lecavlier is “la va cava lee airâ€Â

St. Louis is simply pronounced like it’s St. Louis, MO.

I'll give you all of the others, but he loves Vinny, he intnetionally adds the extra ephasis there. What's great is hearing him try to pronounce a new european kids name. God he can really butcher names with the best of them.

The best part about Cherry is that he shows plays that he can use to teach the right way and the wrong way. Like a hit from behind. He'll show it, then say, "this is for all you kids out there. Don't do this". He also likes to commend Canadian troops overseas and never fails to mention if one is killed or if some Canadian policeman is killed in the line of duty, or even if some kid hockey player met with an accident and either died or is recovering. And most times, he gets pretty emotional about it. I like Cherry and have liked him for all the years he's been on. Absolute best about him is he loves the rough stuff and the fights.

The best part about Cherry is that he shows plays that he can use to teach the right way and the wrong way. Like a hit from behind. He'll show it, then say, "this is for all you kids out there. Don't do this". He also likes to commend Canadian troops overseas and never fails to mention if one is killed or if some Canadian policeman is killed in the line of duty, or even if some kid hockey player met with an accident and either died or is recovering. And most times, he gets pretty emotional about it. I like Cherry and have liked him for all the years he's been on. Absolute best about him is he loves the rough stuff and the fights.

Hockey needs more people like Grapes. I think it would do wonders for the sport in the U.S. if we could get a guy like Grapes to be the face of something like HNIC. Hell, I'd love to see VS sign a deal to carry HNIC.

Perfect description.

Don Cherry, sometimes entertaining, and sometimes I'd really wish he just shut the f**k up. I sometimes want to kick him in the balls so he shuts the hell up.

He's passionate no doubt, but his hate affair on such things like European players is comical. As a result of that and him being obnoxious all the time, I rarely take much of what he says seriously.

I don't get the racist thing... I think he just has stong opinions. He loves the tough guy, and loves the physical play and fights. He's definitely a man's man when it comes to hockey. I love the guy.

Speaking of men, you'll love this clip. I've met both these men (Cherry and Scott THompson from Kids in the Hall) and have their autographs. It starts kind of awkward, but gets hilARious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYjqaZIOUws

He entertains me when he's not talking about the Wings. When he does though, his European racism gets pretty over the top.

well, being European isn't a "race" persay... but yeah, he did blast the Russians. But he called them wimpy, which is just him beating his chest about loving physical hockey as opposed to the grace and stickhandling that European players brought to the game.

It's not "racist"... just a proud ol' Canuck.

Cherry blasting RUssia.....

a little over the top, yes.

Don Cherry is a Living Hockey God. Do agree with him 100% of the time? No but that is why he is so great. Love him or Hate him, he knows hockey like nobody else.

Watching Coach's Corner is alot of fun. Yes come playoff time he picks his favorites but dont we all.

Don Cherry hates the Refs and the way they can ruin a game.

Just like Game 4 yesterday... Those Refs were horriable. They need to be fired, or fined or shot or all of the above.

Don Cherry is a living hockey legend. He is flamboyant, opinonated, loud, obnoxious, and boarderline crazy. But I love him. I respect his opinons as they are right about 80% of the time, but when he is wrong, HE ADMITS IT!!! Class act, crazy at times, and very animated, but classy.

Actually, Don hardly ever admits when he's wrong. Before the 2005 season kicked off, he told the world that Cory Perry was going to be better than Crosby or Ovechkin. Why? Because Crosby played in the Q and A.O. is a Russian. And since Corry Perry played in his beloved OHL, he is obviously better than anyone that played in a Frenchy league or is a peice of Euro trash. If Crosby played for Guelph he would absolutely adore the kid. Look at the pub he gave Jordan Staal this year. Coaches Corner should have been changed to "The Jordan Staal Show". Sure, the kid was great and nearly scored 30 goals this year. But what did Crosby do as an 18 year old? He only recorded 102 points and finished 6th overall in scoring. He didn't show any Crosby highlights last year.

I love Cherry, but he always thinks he's right when he's really wrong half the time. But he'll never admit to it. He goes to all the Weddings but none of the Funerals. I would like to see him admit more often when he was way off base.

But I do like how he's constantly showing the do's and don't for kids playing hockey.

i don't agree with everything he says, but i love the guy. i'm sick of tv personalities having to be so polite and p.c. all the time. don cherry states his opinion and doesn't care if he offends anyone.

The best description of Don Cherry I've ever heard, and completely accurate.

That being said, he still annoys me.