• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Systemfel

Maltby staying in Detroit?

Rate this topic

Wasn't sure whether to post this or not, but FWIW:

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=9154883&postcount=46

Not sure how much I trust this, if for no other reason than the timing involved. Kenny Holland is notorious for not doing any contract negotiation during the playoffs. Can't see him changing that policy all of a sudden.

maltby for 3 yrs ????? LOLLLLL wtf is going on man , better not be true thats all i gotta say , we need to get younger and cheaper guys in the line up .....kopecky should get maltby's spot next year....and we got helm and abdelkader hopefully coming up in a few yrs , don't know how most of you feel but i dont want him back let alone for 3 yrs

maltby for 3 yrs ????? LOLLLLL wtf is going on man , better not be true thats all i gotta say , we need to get younger and cheaper guys in the line up .....kopecky should get maltby's spot next year....and we got helm and abdelkader hopefully coming up in a few yrs , don't know how most of you feel but i dont want him back let alone for 3 yrs

Agreed. The price is pleasing, but 3 years is too much. His offensive production seems to be on the decline and with defensive minded forwards Helm and Abdelkader coming through the system how much longer will Maltby be required for?

Not sure how much I trust this, if for no other reason than the timing involved. Kenny Holland is notorious for not doing any contract negotiation during the playoffs. Can't see him changing that policy all of a sudden.

I agree. However, if this were true, I couldn't argue with it. What Malts brings to the table, he is worth that price.

If its turns out to be true i think its a great thing! We get him cheap, and we get one of the best penatly killers in the league period for the next three years. Yeah we have younger guys in our system that are going to score more goals, but you find me one of them that can play the PK better than this man. Blocking shots, agitating the opponents, checking, grit, heart.....we need this man, and i think its a great deal. Say what you will "hes old" "he doesnt score" "he isnt hte player he used to be" but the facts remain that he can kill a penalty for my favorite hockey team any day of the week! now i doubt its true due to Hollands history of non playoff contracts, but this defenintly needs to get done! PERIOD!

Man I hope this isn't true.

If it is, Maltby is using his old linemate McCarty's strategy... play 3 good weeks of hockey out of 40, and end up with a new contract.

Franzen and Cleary are just as good on the PK and have more to offer overall. Time to move on.

I hope this is true, Maltby has been a cornerstone of this team when it comes to the PLAYOFFS...and if those numbers are right, how could this be a bad thing? Maltby is exactly the kind of guy we need more of during the playoffs.

If its turns out to be true i think its a great thing! We get him cheap, and we get one of the best penatly killers in the league period for the next three years. Yeah we have younger guys in our system that are going to score more goals, but you find me one of them that can play the PK better than this man. Blocking shots, agitating the opponents, checking, grit, heart.....we need this man, and i think its a great deal. Say what you will "hes old" "he doesnt score" "he isnt hte player he used to be" but the facts remain that he can kill a penalty for my favorite hockey team any day of the week! now i doubt its true due to Hollands history of non playoff contracts, but this defenintly needs to get done! PERIOD!

Maybe the Maltby from 1996-2002. We need to get younger, and while he's been one of my favorite players, it is time to start thinking younger.

From Free Press

Maltby, whom the Wings have signed to a three-year extension worth $1.65 million, joined the Wings on March 20, 1996, almost three years after Draper was acquired during the summer of 1993. The two have spent the majority of games since 1996-97 paired, a tribute to their remarkable chemistry.

Looks to be confirmed. $550,000 per year towards the cap for 3 years.

From Free Press

$550, 000 is a steal. I think it's a great deal and I may be one of the few, but im very pleased he'll be a Wing for the next three years. The guy doesn't show it on the scoreboard, but he's always huge for the Wings in the playoffs. He brings it every year, and it's the little things he does..hits, pk, great forechecking/pressure, etc.. that leads up to the big goals, and plays that in the end makes all the difference.

Edited by HockeyCrazy3033

From Free Press

Typo (recently fixed at that). $2.65M. $800somethingK/year.

Not bad for a good energy/defense/PK guy. And the best thing is he's 34. If it doesn't work out, Kenny can make the cap hit disappear which wouldn't be the case if Kirk were 35.

Guest Agalloch

f***. What a stupid move. What is it with Holland and resigning every player he possibly can? Are we going to end up resigning Lang too? I like Maltby, but it's time for him to go. Helm, Abdelader, and Kopecky can fill his role, and do it better as early as next year (probably just Kopecky next year).

Stupid, man. I'd be alright with it if it was for one year, but three? Very stupid.

Relax guys. He signed a 3 year deal and all that means is he finishs his Career in detroit.

All of you bitching about him being resigned, Would you honestly want to play againts Maltby? Seriously he is one of the best PKer and by far one of the best at digging the puck out of the corner. He is a great Offensive Defenseman and he can create scoring chances. He is still fast and can and does play againts the best the other teams can throw at us.

Maltby is a Great hockey player. Holland is the best GM in the League. :clap: Maltby :clap: Holland :clap: Detroit Red Wings

Typo (recently fixed at that). $2.65M. $800somethingK/year.

Not bad for a good energy/defense/PK guy. And the best thing is he's 34. If it doesn't work out, Kenny can make the cap hit disappear which wouldn't be the case if Kirk were 35.

meh.

The price is right. It just seems like he hasn't played like himself the last couple seasons, and there's younger, cheaper versions of Maltby on the team that could use the ice time.

I love Maltby, why would it be such at bad thing if he was with us a few more years. yes he does not score much, there is more to a game then scoring, plus we got others to do that. he does a job giving us power plays and he is a great offensive Defenseman. he's a great player and we should keep him.

Homer - Zeta - XXX

Franz - Dats - Sammy

Clear - Drap - Malt

Huds - Flip - Kope

That's our offence at next season?

We have to pursue 1st line right handed winger. (Or Chris Drury) ;)