• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Systemfel

Maltby staying in Detroit?

Rate this topic

Hard to argue with those salary numbers.

Would have preferred 2 years guaranteed with a team option for the 3rd but like some of you said I'm glad to see he will finish his career here.

His minutes will go down but he will be needed. People are going down with injuries all the time so it will be nice to have a player like Maltby to plug in.

Relax guys. He signed a 3 year deal and all that means is he finishs his Career in detroit.

All of you bitching about him being resigned, Would you honestly want to play againts Maltby? Seriously he is one of the best PKer and by far one of the best at digging the puck out of the corner. He is a great Offensive Defenseman and he can create scoring chances. He is still fast and can and does play againts the best the other teams can throw at us.

Maltby is a Great hockey player. Holland is the best GM in the League. :clap: Maltby :clap: Holland :clap: Detroit Red Wings

That made my day, glad Malts is staying in Detroit! He's helped us win some cups, he's been solid, good price, and yeah, great guy too!

The freepress article is hilarious!

I hope we sign bertuzzi somehow before playoffs end ... cause i dont want another team over paying and him leaving ... we could sure use his body and start getting bigger but i was wondering wich goalies are UFA this off season?

Homer - Zeta - XXX

Franz - Dats - Sammy

Clear - Drap - Malt

Huds - Flip - Kope

That's our offence at next season?

We have to pursue 1st line right handed winger. (Or Chris Drury) ;)

So you want to split Henrik and Pavel = :blink:

Mikael on the 2nd line = :crazy:

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID.../705030457/1053

in the freep

"Maltby, whom the Wings have signed to a three-year extension worth $2.65 million..."

I, for one, am flabbergasted. I thought it was a no-brainer that this would be his last, possibly, maybe his second-to-last year here. wow. He kinda sucked it up all year, and definitely has lost ...well, what little he used to have. He's good with drapes, and gets under opponents skin some, but...geez. Flabbergasted.

The only thing I can think is that maybe, in the cap world, The Brain Trust has decided that since you can't pay guys to get them on your team the Wings will instead develop a reputation for loyalty, and hook them up with big-time perks. Their logic being "if superstars see us treat our guys great, with loyalty, maybe they'll come play for us on the cheap."

I dunno. wow. wow.

*shaking head*

wow.

sorry Kirk, luv ya, but...wow.

I like Maltby a lot, but 3 years is pretty steep to sign a player that has been on the decline. Still not a bad deal though, since he doesn't make a lot, and is still a very important part of this team.

All in all not bad. Though I wonder where Kenny is all of a sudden handing out long-term deals like this, since this is usually not something he does.

Edited by Kp-Wings

I like Maltby a lot, but 3 years is pretty steep to sign a player that has been on the decline. Still not a bad deal though, since he doesn't make a lot, and is still a very important part of this team.

All in all not bad. Though I wonder where Kenny is all of a sudden handing out long-term deals like this, since this is usually not something he does.

Yeah but Kenny likes to have guys prove themselves before getting a new contract. I think he is well past this stage in regards to Maltby. I mean he has been with us for a long time and as you said he is an important part of our team. Maltby is at the stage where he is willing to take pay cuts to play in Detroit.

If you want depth and someone who knows his role here in Detroit, Maltby is your guy. No one is expecting Maltby to be a star player, but as someone mentioned, players are inevitably going to get hurt, and I am comfortable seeing Maltby in the lineup rather than simply plugging in a bunch of young players to fill holes. For the price, I don't really see how anyone can complain much.

Maltby at age 37 ===> :crazy:

I know this team is all about loyalty and re-signing everyone that ever wears the sweater to a series of deals lasting a career, but let's be serious here. Tomas Kopecky? That guy? "Don't you forget about [him], don't don't don't don't..."

ya its a HORRIBLE HORRIBLE move , wtf man what if chelios is here in 3 yrs still ??? LOL and holland is still in love with schneider and keeps him ?? chelios 48 lidstrom 39 schenider 40 maltby 37 draper 38 ......... LOL thats just ridiculously stupid i like maltby but sometimes life moves on , keeping draper is good enough we dont need to keep both he and maltby until they retire , wtf were gonna put them both out to kill penalties in 3 yrs ?? draper will be 38 and maltby 37 lol...1 yr deal max should of been given to him , im still holding out hope this signing didnt happen since i havent seen it on mlive or tsn

Maltby at age 37 ===> :crazy:

I know this team is all about loyalty and re-signing everyone that ever wears the sweater to a series of deals lasting a career, but let's be serious here. Tomas Kopecky? That guy? "Don't you forget about [him], don't don't don't don't..."

I balk at this comment. Kopecky is unproven, and did not impress me at all during his tenure this year. See my rant in one of the other topics if you don't believe. At this point, Kopecky is a pretty poor replacement.

Homer - Zeta - XXX

Franz - Dats - Sammy

Clear - Drap - Malt

Huds - Flip - Kope

That's our offence at next season?

We have to pursue 1st line right handed winger. (Or Chris Drury) ;)

we have to find a way to get rid of samuelsson ......im pretty sure bertuzzi will be back here id say its 90% sure hes coming back, he hasnt played in yrs and is now in detroit a team who can win it all , hes with a team whos 2 wins away from being in the west finals and its close to his home in ontario .........now with the signing of malby im pretty sure kopecky will be the extra forward cause i really expect grigorenko to finaly come in next year and have a legitimate shot after all these yrs , and if it was up to me id go after another big body, maybe a scott hartnell

hartnell datsyuk holmstrom

franzen zetterberg bertuzzi

hudler filppula grigorenko

cleary draper maltby

kopecky

I've always like Maltby and he's always a presence in the playoffs. This year is no exception. We're not giving him boatloads of money, it looks to me like it's not much more than league min. Plus, his PK skills are second to none.

Eh, I'd be more comfortable if it were a 1 year deal...although Maltby is still one of the best in the league at skating around looking pissed off no matter what's going on, an area in which the Wings would be sorely lacking if he left.

Don't understand all this bashing of Maltby at all. Its 800k a year, a very good deal considering the way this guy kills penalties. He's playing the third line right now and maybe he'll be put on the fourth in a couple of years, but so what? The guy has never been about scoring goals. He is a penalty killer, and a GOOD one at that.

Good move Holland :clap:

I never thought that I would have been unhappy with signing Maltby for less than $1M/yr. But I am. Three years is too much. I don't want Maltby two years from now let alone three. This team needs to get big, fast, strong, and offensive. Maltby only has one of those qualties, fast. How fast will he still be at 37? This is a business, and needs to be run like one. Sometimes you have to let well liked, seasoned guys, finnish their careers somewhere else.

Don't understand all this bashing of Maltby at all. Its 800k a year, a very good deal considering the way this guy kills penalties. He's playing the third line right now and maybe he'll be put on the fourth in a couple of years, but so what? The guy has never been about scoring goals. He is a penalty killer, and a GOOD one at that.

Good move Holland :clap:

How many GOOD PKers do you need? Draper, Cleary, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen. Not to mention all of the young talent that needs to come up to the big time.

How many GOOD PKers do you need? Draper, Cleary, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen. Not to mention all of the young talent that needs to come up to the big time.

Drop Maltby and next year you will either see Dats/Zetts killing more penalties or having a new guy who is not as experienced killing penalties.

Option 1... Well yes, obviously Dats/Zetts are good pkers but i'd rather save as much of their energy as possible for scoring goals

Option 2... The new guy will get better over time but will be prone to mistakes in his first year.

*shrug* Why not just keep Maltby?

Drop Maltby and next year you will either see Dats/Zetts killing more penalties or having a new guy who is not as experienced killing penalties.

Option 1... Well yes, obviously Dats/Zetts are good pkers but i'd rather save as much of their energy as possible for scoring goals

Option 2... The new guy will get better over time but will be prone to mistakes in his first year.

*shrug* Why not just keep Maltby?

Because those new guys in option 2 will never have a chance to show how good they are until they get the chance. How about they get that first year under their belt while the other players I listed are still there to help pick up the slack.

I think you're all crazy. Maltby is much better than you're all making him out to be. Hes a solid defensive forward, rarely makes mistakes, he knows how to get under the opponent's skin better than anyone, and even though he's kinda small, he can handle tough hits, and doesn't mind dishing them out. Detroit is based on tight defense, and its people like him that give a great contribution from the forwards. Yes, the wings need power forwards more than anything else right now, but the price is too steep for us to sign another PF and keep our team in tact. Maltby is definitely NOT a power forward, but hes more aggressive than many of the other forwards. That and hes a good PKer

Besides, when has Ken Holland steered this team wrong?