• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BringHomeTheCup!

Playoff OT

Rate this topic

Playoff overtime hockey. I love it. The thrill of a great scoring chance. The let down of a lost opportunity. The celebration after your team scores the winner. Being heartbroken because your team lost.

It's all part of playoff hockey. Any single playoff overtime game is a microcosm of an entire playoff run. It has highs and lows. Great saves, and close calls. And ultimately for one team, a huge celebration.

Who doesn't remember Stevie beating Casey over the glove from the blue line? I think about that now, and I get goosebumps. It's something I will never forget. Seeing that goal was unbelieveable. I was just a wee lad, but I woke up the neighbors due to my 'obnoxious screaming'. My dad, who had to work at 4:30am wasn't so happy with me either.

What I can't believe is that some fans aren't, well, fans of playoff overtime hockey. Yeah, I know it can effect the next game, possibly even 2. Yeah, I know at times, it isn't the most exciting gameplay to watch. But it is the most exciting thing in all of sports to watch.

Hockey has playoff overtime like no other sport. Basketball is nothing more than an extra session. Baseball both teams have equal chances. Football is the closest, but let's be honest, whoever gets the ball first is most likely going to win. But hockey is different. Hockey is next goal wins. Hockey is something special. Hockey there are no second chances.

Some players don't like it, Shanny recently spoke out against it. He would be in favor of an eventul shootout in the playoffs. That is just insane. It's ok to decide an extra point in the regular season, but to one day decide who wins the most prominent trophy in sports in a shootout?! UGH!! I cringe at the thought.

I love hockey. I live for the sport. I play it, both roller, and ice. I eat, sleep, and drink hockey. I don't care about any of the other sports. Hockey is different. Hockey brings a different passion to it's game from it's players. No other sport has such an exciting playoff format, or a more recognized playoff championship trophy.

So here is my ploy to Gary Bettman: PLEASE leave this one alone. Youv'e hurt the game enough. Don't take away the single most exciting event in all of sports playoffs. Hockey needs this. I need this. Please Gary, don't kick hockey in the ribs while it's down.