• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
raasc1dj

Lilja the best wings D-man in the playoffs!?!

Rate this topic

Lilja has been the Wings overall best D-man in the playoffs. The numbers obviously dont show it but the play does. He has stopped countless odd-man rushes, block shots, and is playing physical.

Thoughts???

have to admit I like to see him carry the puck in our zone more then Schiender, he has really stepped up and proved well ME especially wrong, keep it up LIljas and I'd love to have you back next season.

Lilja steps it up in the PO's, I thought he was one of our better D last year too!

:blink:

I thought he sucked last year which is why I'm so surprised at how great he's been this year. He's been pretty turnover and penalty free and has really stepped up physically. I hope he keeps it up!

He's been solid. The fact that we're even discussing this semi-seriously is a testament to how much he's improved his play over the last part of the season and into the playoffs. Maybe if Kronwall can take some lessons on how to elevate his play, we'd have a monster defensive corps next year.

have to admit I like to see him carry the puck in our zone more then Schiender, he has really stepped up and proved well ME especially wrong, keep it up LIljas and I'd love to have you back next season.

he signed a two year contract and will be back regardless

He's been solid. The fact that we're even discussing this semi-seriously is a testament to how much he's improved his play over the last part of the season and into the playoffs. Maybe if Kronwall can take some lessons on how to elevate his play, we'd have a monster defensive corps next year.

To be fair Kronwall when not injuryed is one of our best defensive man. Yes Lilja is playing great hockey and he needs to keep this up. How about Quincy though.. OMG is this kid going to be a great player for us in the years to come and not to mention he gets to learn playoff hockey from the Old man Cheli

Guest Crymson

Lilja has been the Wings overall best D-man in the playoffs. The numbers obviously dont show it but the play does. He has stopped countless odd-man rushes, block shots, and is playing physical.

Thoughts???

Ever since Andreas fought Moen, his play has seen a paradigm shift. I don't know what happened, but I like it; I used to despise the guy for being lazy and careless, but now he's quietly reliable and he'll fight.

The guy has zero points; this goes to show that point production is not everything. He leads us in blocked shots and hits, and he's been great in the offensive zone.

Go Pain Train! Kronwall? Who's that?

he signed a two year contract and will be back regardless

That's great! I didn't remember this. This means Lilja is not just playing for a contract!

Edited by Crymson

Most improved for sure. Lilja has really got his act together in the playoffs.

Best overall?? I'm gonna have to go with the Captain.

Sure he may not look like his normal superhuman self, but Lidstrom's job this postseason has included containing Jarome Iginla and now battling Joe Thornton.

Lilja doesn't get those assignments.

Lids has been the best Dman throughout. Liljas play has been great tho. He was real bad last year against Edmonton with always being out of position and being outskated. The start of this year I also thought he didnt look to sharp but really picked it up from January on.

Guest GodofHockeyStevieY19

Yeah Lilja has looked suprisingly effective this post-season. Honestly, the last player on our team that I would except to say this about. But I gotta give props where props are due, and wow, I have been so impressed so far. Hopefully he keeps it going.

:blink:

I thought he sucked last year which is why I'm so surprised at how great he's been this year. He's been pretty turnover and penalty free and has really stepped up physically. I hope he keeps it up!

well my memory aint that great, but I remeber Krownwall being horrible and Schnids was pretty bad too. I thought the reason Lilja got that contract was becuse he played good, but I could be wrong... But yeah He has been great!!!!

Yes the best D man has been and will be our captain Lidstrom but Lil has been pretty solid IMO. providing much needed physical presence and not making too much dumb mistake he had been proned to make. He still does make weak play from time to time but He definately stepped up big time and sends out positive energy to whole team. :clap: He should be proud of himself the way he plays now

I dunno if Lilja is playing really well, or the rest of our D is playing bad and making him look good. haha. No he has been playing really well, with Kronner out its kind of his chance to shine. Hes slow so hes getting beat to alot of pucks in our own zone, but as soon as a shark gets to that puck Big ol number 3 is on top of him throwing his weight around playing like a big player. Alot of our other D men are giving away alot of pucks like scneids and Cheli, and Lidstrom has had his fair share of turnovers in our defensive ends, and these bad plays have helped make lilja stand out, but hes playing really good hockey in my mind. Gota give credit where credit is due

:blink: Um.. no. Lidstrom has been our best defenseman. Then Chelios (I think), then Lilja. BUT, that being said... I echo the "Kronwall Who" sentiment. Quincey is doing fine, smart with the puck, but Lebda really brings the speed, and a tiny bit of offence to our equation.

As long as #5 is playing for the Red Wings, he will be the best defenseman out there. That being said, Lilja and Quincey have both been spectacular. No offense to Kronwall, but I would rather have either of these two in the line-up as opposed to him. Lilja has been great, especially in penalty kill situations. Actually, all six guys on defense deserve a ton of credit in these playoffs. They are the reason this is a series still against the Sharks.

Edited by GoWings1905

well my memory aint that great, but I remeber Krownwall being horrible and Schnids was pretty bad too. I thought the reason Lilja got that contract was becuse he played good, but I could be wrong... But yeah He has been great!!!!

Actually, Kronwall played pretty well for us in the playoffs last year. Lilja was terrible last playoffs. But he has gotten it together this year. Maybe all he needed to do is finally start hitting people and that turned his game around. His good play has directly coincided with his decision to start checking people. Go figure...

Guest Agalloch

I think Chelios has been the best in the playoffs so far, but meh...

As I've said many times before, Lilja is underrated. Everyone gives him so much crap, but he's a very solid defenseman if you see him for what he is: a third pairing, or a seventh defenseman. He could probably be even higher on some teams. I don't know if everyone is spoiled because of all the great defensemen we've had the last few years, but Lilja is very underrated.

I dont get the Lidstrom love affair again in the playoffs this year.

He looked bad in the playoffs last year too.

He play has been so un-Lidstrom like some people are thinking he may be injured.

He has coughed the puck up, been passing badly, and getting beat on his poke checks.

I mean I love the guy, but he has not been his usual solid spectacular self.

I really think Lilja has been the best D man weve had, Cheli second and Markov 3rd.

Not that he has been better than Lids but Quincy has done a bang up job too, seeing before the playoffs he had a whoping 4 NHL games under his belt.

Edited by regwinguofmfan

Guest Agalloch

I dont get the Lidstrom love affair again in the playoffs this year.

He looked bad in the playoffs last year too.

He play has been so un-Lidstrom like some people are thinking he may be injured.

He has coughed the puck up, been passing badly, and getting beat on his poke checks.

I mean I love the guy, but he has not been his usual solid spectacular self.

I really think Lilja has been the best D man weve had, Cheli second and Markov 3rd.

Not that he has been better than Lids but Quincy has done a bang up job too, seeing before the playoffs he had a whoping 4 NHL games under his belt.

Um... 6th in point in the playoffs as a DEFENSEMAN, he completely shut Iginla down except for one goal that was definitely his fault. He's played great, just like he has his entire career. What are you talking about?

Then again, you're the guy that said the series was over after it was 2-0 in game 2, and you called Hasek an "ass clown" and said that everyone on this board is "butt hurt".

What does all that mean, and why do you make things up?

Edited by Agalloch

You know why I use to rag on Lilja all the time? *prior to the post season* because he's such a big guy and I knew that if he wanted to, he could do some damage out there! The second the post season started he has been fantastic! Laying the body, mixing it up, sticking up for his mates, getting into scrums, and if need be, fighting. His PK is amazing as well, and the fact that he sacrifices himself, gets down low and blocks shots. Not only has the guy been a dominant physical prescence, but his entire overall game has improved majorly. He has made some HUGE defensive plays that literally saved the Wings in being the diference between a win and loss. The guy has come up big and I am exteremely happy for him. Definitely IMO the top 3 D for us so far this playoffs. You rock, Lils! Keep it up baby!

Also not sure if anyone knows this BUT our boy Andreas leads the Wings AND Sharks in hits this post season. WOOT WOOT!

Speaking of him..here's an article on him in the Detroit News.

Lilja unsung playoff hero

Edited by HockeyCrazy3033

lids hands down. come on people.

take this for example: one of your kids brings home straight A's every class for 10 years. then one day he slips up and gets a B-. and you tell him "what the hell happened? this isn't the end of the world but lets try and bring that up to an A". then you have another kid who is mildly retarded and gets nothing but C's. one day he does super great on a test and brings home a B. you then say "WOW kid. you did real good. all that hard work is really paying off. great work. were going out for ice cream and new wings jerseys!!!"

such is the case here. when lids isn't super human and doesn't block every shot the opposition takes, he gets railed by everyone. then lilja steps up and starts playing really well. far better than any of us thought. it doesn't mean lids sucks, just he made a couple less than his usual superman plays and lilja isn't a traffic cone.

in summary: LIDS IS STILL THE BEST WINGS PLAYER ON THE ICE. anyone that says any different is wrong. (this may change from game to game but over an entire year and/or series he is the best, hence the big C he wears)

-t bone

Guest Agalloch

Let me also point out Lids has a plus minus of 1.

Oh no! Let me also point out that Jay Pandolfo has a plus/minus of -7. And yet, he's a Selke nominee.

See how misleading that statistic is? What else are you going to spout off about how much you hate Lidstrom?