• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Cicada

Liv, Ellis, Meech, Ericsson & Howard recalled...

Rate this topic

IIRC, there's no roster limit in the playoffs, so might as well have 'em on standby in case we get shark herpes from the torpedo last night.

Liv & Howard ? Did I miss something? Is Ozzie hurt? :huh:

Guest Crymson

http://stats.theahl.com/hm/transactions.php

the healthy scratches just got a lot bigger...

4 goaltenders on the roster now

Well, we've got no limits on roster size and GR's postseason is over. Why not have them standing by?

I believe if the player plays in a certian percentage of the teams playoff games he gets his name on the cup. (This of course would assume that the player did not appear in the finals)

It takes eight games in the regular season or one in the playoffs to get one's name on the cup, hence we see Jiri Slegr's signature on the '2001-2002' section of the silver.

Edited by Crymson

Well, we've got no limits on roster size and GR's postseason is over. Why not have them standing by?

It takes eight games in the regular season or one in the playoffs to get one's name on the cup, hence we see Jiri Slegr's signature on the '2001-2002' section of the silver.

I'm pretty sure it's more than 8 regular season games, isn't it upwards of 40?

I do agree, I think Babs has them up for few reasons,

1. No roster limit, so having them up doesn't hurt.

2. In the event someone gets hurt, they could step in.

3. To get them some playoff atmosphere experience at the NHL level.

4. So he can rest guys like Hank, Pav, Bert, Dom ect... and still run a full practice

It only takes one game. A finals game (Slegr played game 5 vs the Canes when Fischer was suspended for a crosscheck). Or 41 in the regular season.

And actually not even that. The Wings successfully petitioned the League to have Konstantinov's name engraved for the '98 Cup win.

They wont play. I wouldnt mind seeing Ellis in the line-up though. hes 6'1 and likes to hit. Might have some jump if Sammy's play starts to suck

Ellis is WAY too slow. He tries harder than just about anyone else out there, but he'll never overcome his lack of mobility as it isn't augmented by enough skill ala Hudler.

Ellis is WAY too slow. He tries harder than just about anyone else out there, but he'll never overcome his lack of mobility as it isn't augmented by enough skill ala Hudler.

Thats true. I would liek Hudler to play too , but his size is kiling him in this series.

Thats true. I would liek Hudler to play too , but his size is kiling him in this series.

The same could be said for the majority of the Wings roster...everyone's wondering why there have been all these "uncharacteristic turnovers" lately, it's because the Sharks have a lineup full of 6'2 220-pound monsters shoving our 5'11 180-pound guys off the puck every time they try to carry it...It's no mystery why the smaller players (Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Hudler, Filppula, etc) have been all but silenced in this series.

I say let Ellis and Ericsson play a game or two...a little size and physicality could do us good.

STARTS????

:lol:

he's been doing decent lately though. I haven't paid great attention to all of the last two games... but I've seen Sammy doing more hustling and smart drives to the net than he was at the tail end of the season.

Sammy pre-playoffs = god awful shot-shot-shots at goaltenders, doomed to be grabbed

Sammy now = kinda not too bad lookin', at the moment. I'd nearly ask him out on a date.

Smart move.

Ellis is a very viable replacement for Calder if Babcock is shy about playing Hudler.

It will be good, in general, for these guys to soak up some of the playoff atmosphere the Wings have got going on right now.

You bring up a point that's been bugging me. Calder has played a total of 9 minutes the last 7 periods combined. I admire him for playing through his injury but maybe it's time to get a healthy body in there that can offer more consistent minutes. Hudler is an option but against these gigantic forwards he may be a liability. Kopecky is an option and Ellis would be also. At this point, I wonder if Calder isn't hurting the team more than he is helping them.

To get your name on the Cup you have got to play at least 40 regular season games, or one game in the Stanley Cup Finals.

if we win the cup, does jason williams get his name on it?

No. You still have to be part of the organization. You can't have been traded away.

In 02 , Did Williams play a playoff game that year ?

I know Slegr did and Avery did and they got there names on the cup. Not sure about williams

I believe the exception to that role is a backup goaltender, the backup goaltender does not have to play in a playoff game to get his name on the cup.... although I dont believe this would apply to howard or liv, and it definitley would not apply if they do not dress.

That would be a perpetual suck-gig for Scott Clemmenson, considering he gets, what, 5 starts a season behind Brodeur?

I'm not surprised about the call-ups, though. Listening to XM this morning, Buffalo did the same thing as their minor league club is out of the playoffs.

I just realized how this is another sign of how awesome and classy the Wings organization is. Is there another club you would rather be a part of? Maybe 1 or 2 of these guys are here for insurance, but I doubt it. The reality is that they are letting their prospects take part in the excitement and the fun of playoff hockey. They are throwing their prospects a bone and it is a great move for future dedication.

The other thing I realized is Babcock has to be a pretty cool guy to allow this. Most coaches want their players completely insulated. No screwing around, and no 19 year old who doesn't feel the pressure trying to be a funny guy. From the interviews I've heard, it sounds like Babcock lets the players be men, and do their own things away from the ice. I really like his coaching style.