• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Viperar

Sharks Falling Apart?

Rate this topic

So i just stumbled across this and it is a truth and rumor article obviously, but it says Ron Wilson ripped Marleau and Guerin after the game. Calling out his players, they seem to me in shock mentally.

Sharks coach furious at players

Posted: Thursday May 03, 2007 07:50AM ET

Sharks coach Ron Wilson didn't call them out by name, but he let it be known he's unhappy with a couple of his players. In his postgame press conference, Wilson said two of his players have had poor showings in both of the losses to the Red Wings in the Western Conference semifinals. Linemates Patrick Marleau and Bill Guerin appear to be the players Wilson targeted. Both were on the ice and closest to the Wings' Valtteri Filppula when he fed Robert Lang for a game-tying goal at 19:26 of the third period.

Here

If Ron Wilson blasted them Like he did Anaheim and Washington when we've beat em in the playoffs before, Guerin and Marleau's legs oughta match the viscosity of jam next game.

Guest Crymson

They're in trouble.

Truth be told, we've been the better team this series.

Just because a team loses doesn't mean their falling apart. Remember when the Habs were down 3-1 in their series to Boston in 2004 and came back and won 4 straight to take the series? Exactly my point. Just because a team loses one game, don't take them lightly.

And no, I really don't think their falling apart. Not yet.

Just because a team loses doesn't mean their falling apart. Remember when the Habs were down 3-1 in their series to Boston in 2004 and came back and won 4 straight to take the series? Exactly my point. Just because a team loses one game, don't take them lightly.

And no, I really don't think their falling apart. Not yet.

I think you highlighted a common mistake with fans. Ask after any game defeat in this series whether the other team was falling apart, and it might give you a fuzzy feeling if it's not your team on the hotseat, but it's an illusion I would never trust (and your Habs example was spot on).

I do think there was some needless overconfidence on the part of the Sharks going into the series. Now that the reality that these really are two good teams, neither of which is going to be easily beaten, I think we'll continue to see extremely strong play on both sides. If there's going to be any unraveling at the Sharks' seams, it's not going into Game 5.

And NKYWingsFan is right - that extra day to regroup is a very fortunate thing for the Sharks. It's the same extra day that the Wings would have had/needed, had the series gone to 3-1 after the last game.

They're in trouble.

Truth be told, we've been the better team this series.

I disagree. We got lucky to win last night, and we were pretty lucky to win game 2. That's not to say that they haven;t gotten some lucky breaks, but this series could have easily been a sweep for them, with a few inches here or there in their favor. You can't say that for Detroit. They clearly dominated game 1, and they dominated most of game 3.

Think about it...they had a player with possession of the puck in our zone when we had an empty net. Luckily, he didn't manage to put it in. But if he had, we lose game four and we're down 3-1 right now.

With that said, I think we'll win this series because the Sharks left the door open. They haven't capitalized and I think we'll make them pay for that (I guess we already have in some respects).

Edited by aarond

I don't think it's 'lucky' that the Wings won games 2 & 4. If anything it's because they didn't give up, and knew they could turn it around. They took it to the Sharks till the very end and that's what gave them the W. The Sharks somewhat sat back and the Wings took advantage. That's not luck, that's skill, heart, and determination on the Wings part.

Edited by HockeyCrazy3033

The Sharks are a good team and the Wings have not been playing a full 60 minutes of hockey, that is the problem plain and simple.

Now as for the Sharks falling apart? Come on, all the games have been close. I am more worried about the Wings falling apart with all the injuries if we get to the WCF or even SCF.

When I look at Joe Thornton, the last thing I see is someone who is falling apart. Same thing with Cheech. I think that maybe they had some overconfidence coming into the series and that's starting to fade, but that work in their favor as opposed to ours. But again, they're definitely not falling apart. I'm glad the Wings aren't either. Both of our victories have been comebacks, showing that if we play, we can stay. the next few games should be interesting to say the least. and we NEED to win this next one.

With that said, I think we'll win this series because the Sharks left the door open. They haven't capitalized and I think we'll make them pay for that (I guess we already have in some respects).

This is a good point^^. I'd just add the Sharks did make the attempt to capitize, which I think is even a little more demoralizing. Get those 2 goal leads, and we watched them play a little 'dump it deep, line up all 21 players on the blueline-type game' - but just didn't work out. They know they tried to stomp down when they had both feet on the Red Wings' neck, and NOPE!

Wouldn't say falling apart - just looks to me like last nights game may have loosened a few lugnuts.

What a great series we're watching!

Well this is what they got Billy Guerin for. Playoff experience, being out there during key moments of the game because he knows exactly what the wings are going to do because he's seen it all and done it all and theres nothing new they can come up with (i wish i had his quote handy). Billy didn't exactly back his mouth up so far, let's hope the trend continues.

I will believe the Sharks are falling apart when I see it. It's way premature to even call them on the brink. I'd love to believe it, I really would. I think it's possible they could be....DaKine's right....they had their foot on our throats and couldn't stomp. But still....it's too soon. Not yet. I'll believe it after three bad periods from them in Game 5.

Well this is what they got Billy Guerin for. Playoff experience, being out there during key moments of the game because he knows exactly what the wings are going to do because he's seen it all and done it all and theres nothing new they can come up with (i wish i had his quote handy). Billy didn't exactly back his mouth up so far, let's hope the trend continues.

Guerin has always been a playoff non-entity. But I don't expect the Sharks to crumble.

Guest Crymson

I disagree. We got lucky to win last night, and we were pretty lucky to win game 2. That's not to say that they haven;t gotten some lucky breaks, but this series could have easily been a sweep for them, with a few inches here or there in their favor. You can't say that for Detroit. They clearly dominated game 1, and they dominated most of game 3.

Think about it...they had a player with possession of the puck in our zone when we had an empty net. Luckily, he didn't manage to put it in. But if he had, we lose game four and we're down 3-1 right now.

You'll see Sharks fans saying the same things on their message boards.

The simple fact is that too many people would rather be reserved about their team, and more pessimistic, so that they'll have less emotional investment in case of a loss. IMO, this is cowardice on the highest level, and one is not a true fan and supporter of their team if they engage in such behavior.

In the words of a Sharks fan after last night's game, "The one thing positive about this is now I expect us to lose this series, so I can listen without much emotional investment."

Read, and understand!

When you have to fight back from a 2-0 deficit, its never a "lucky" win. Its hard work that makes things eventually go your way.

The simple fact is that too many people would rather be reserved about their team, and more pessimistic, so that they'll have less emotional investment in case of a loss. IMO, this is cowardice on the highest level, and one is not a true fan and supporter of their team if they engage in such behavior.

In the words of a Sharks fan after last night's game, "The one thing positive about this is now I expect us to lose this series, so I can listen without much emotional investment."

Read, and understand!

EXACTLY.

At any rate, the Sharks may not be crumbling, but the Red Wings have a second chance to take advantage of the momentum they have now having won two games in comeback mode. Regardless of what that does to the Sharks, thats a bonus for the Wings in that they know how hard they have to work to beat the Sharks and hold them off. IMO, this veteran team wont let average play inhibit them again.

There's a universe of difference to me between reservation and pessimism. However, if it's truly a feigned pessimism, as a withdrawal of emotional investment, then I think you have a point. I don't know if I would call it cowardice on anyone's part; that's something I can't readily buy into, nor would I consider the over-the-top fans who predict equally over-the-top blowouts to be any more emotionally invested than a fan who is more reticent to go out on an emotional limb. To me they sometimes appear as two sides of the same manic-depressive fan coin -- and are often the same person.

Listen to kids in the minor leagues and homer fans everywhere, and you'll hear the amateurish, overly-optimistic, "Yeah, we're going to slaughter them! They're going down! We'll kill them, yeah!" Nothing wrong with that, of course. They're cheerleading, beating the war drum, getting their juices flowing, and leading the charge by imaginary proxy... but contrast that with the top players of any sport in any league, and it's rare that you'll hear anything approaching that kind of thing. It comes out more as, "Well, we've worked hard, there are some things we need to improve, but we feel pretty good about our game. We'll see, we hope to give it our all. One game at a time, yada yada..." You hear it all the time, and it's an easy one for anyone to fill in the blanks on. It's ALWAYS reserved. Not pessimistic. Just reserved, and for (IMO also) a good reason.

To me it's the difference between manic optimistic delusion that centers around a wished-for fantasy, and an even-keeled maturity, that remains hopeful and adjusting in the face of reality.

As for the one who really is deliberately pessimistic, and throws in the towel and forfeits a series before it's over - yeah, it certainly looks like weakness to me; surely a flaw, from my perspective - but then again, everyone feels things differently, and who knows that this isn't a survival mechanism that isn't good for that person in other areas of life. I had an uncle who thought he bought himself 30 more good years by giving up on a lot of fights -- before fighting them anyway...something about "freedom is another word for nothing left to lose...", or in other words, sometimes emotional detachment is an effective way of robbing your opponent of any possible psychological advantage.

Guest Crymson

As always, you need to get laid.

Oh, SNAP! As always, you fly in with the gamebreaking comebacks! This time it's the implication that my comments are result of stress or being high strung, which of course sex would solve!

GOOD ONE! Now, I hope you drown in my sarcasm.

Read, and understand!

Dag, yo! There will be some major crow eatin goin down on that forum if the Sharks end up winning.

Saw that coming a mile away. Great job, great job. Idiots.

That's series.

Good luck against the Ducks.

Oh, and go Buffalo. I don't want to see Pronger's name on the cup EVER.

ZERO heart. Marleau is MIA, Grier and Thornton are the only ones playing. Our D are doing all they can and getting no help. Its over. I need to catch up on my reading, so that is what I'll be doing on Saturday.

Go Sens