• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Zion

Anaheim Coasting to the Cup?

Rate this topic

Thanks to Dallas and Vancouver's inability to play decent hockey (save for Turco and Luongo, respectively), and Minnesota not posing a challenge at all, Anaheim has pretty much coasted into the Western Conference Finals to pick up where they left off last year.

Now, because of the war between the Wings and Sharks and Sabres and Rangers, I have to ask:

How likely is it that Anaheim and Ottawa will meet in the Stanley Cup Finals?

I say fairly likely, and it is a definitely worst-case scenario for me as a hockey fan, and I'm sure the league would not approve, as the ratings will be extremely low.

Your opinion?

Anaheim does not impress. Minny sucked. Vancouver's Luongo [didn't I tell everyone in here last summer :lol:] was huge for them, but their offense was downright pathetic. Please hockey gods .. do not let the Quacks win it all. Ugh!! Burke, Pronger and the rest of those smug sob's really need to meet a team who's more than one-dimensional. Ugh!!

As you have said, they have been unchallenged so far.... I don't see them holding up against a team giving them quality competition... With that said... Whoever wins our series will be able to destroy them. :D THats my story and I am sticking to it.

You almost always have to face adversity in the first two rounds to win the cup. Anaheim has not had this. Buffalo, Detroit, and San Jose have.

Anaheim will be well rested. This is good for them. But they haven't been forced to elevate their play yet (see: no adversity) This could hurt them.

Edit to add: if they do make it to the finals they will be smoked by Ottawa anyway.

Edited by rick zombo

You almost always have to face adversity in the first two rounds to win the cup. Anaheim has not had this. Buffalo, Detroit, and San Jose have.

Anaheim will be well rested. This is good for them. But they haven't been forced to elevate their play yet (see: no adversity) This could hurt them.

Edit to add: if they do make it to the finals they will be smoked by Ottawa anyway.

I agree remember when Detroit went to the finals against the Devils and lost it is a very simular situation, the Ducks will still have to get past either Detroit or San Jose were both teams will be beat up and tired but battle hardend and already playing at a high level can the Ducks turn it up with aflick of a switch we will see. GO Wings :!:

They still have 8 more wins to do. Not easy job.

Exactly...I don't know which part of a series vs. us/SJ, then BUF/OTT constitutes "coasting." They'll have two pretty good tests, if they pass both, they win the Cup. They've just had the good fortune to play the two worst teams in the playoffs (yes, I know Vancouver beat Dallas). Can't really hold that against them.

In a weird way, I'm kind of happy Anaheim won, should we win.

1. We match up well with them, good games this season, should be a good series.

2. Luongo. The best goalie in the league. Against our offense. :crazy:

2. Luongo. The best goalie in the league. Against our offense. :crazy:

ding ding....scariest thing about playing vancouver, knowing detroit's history against good goaltenders, reason enough i would prefer anaheim

ding ding....scariest thing about playing vancouver, knowing detroit's history against good goaltenders, reason enough i would prefer anaheim

yeah, because going agsint JSG is soooo much better...

yeah, because going agsint JSG is soooo much better...

better than going against luongo? absolutely...you have to remember, go take a look at luongo's save count compared to giggy's. I think we can put a lot more shots on net than minny and van did. We can put that many shots on luongo and he'll still be keeping it a 1 goal game.

Luongo is a better goalie than giggy hands down.

edit: for clarity

Edited by Viperar

It's scary how a team gets to the WCF on an 8-2 record. However, personally I feel that they haven't faced really hard teams, they lucked out. If they would have faced San Jose like I expected, they'd be in the same prediciment as us, I guarantee it.

Anaheim is a very good team, but they're vulnerable to scoring droughts, especially if they were to match up against a puck possession, defensive minded team in the next round (who shall remain nameless).

and did anyone see Luongo's statue of liberty worthy play on that last goal? wtf was he doing? Let the ref call the penalty Roberto, your job is to stop the puck.

He's a great goalie but man was that a rookie mistake. What a heartbreaking way to lose for a guy who has otherwise stood on his head the whole playoffs.

I don't think those two series' could be considered coasting. Sure, they put them both away in 5 but a lot of them went to OT and were decided by 1 goal.

What worries me about playing the Ducks is that they have now faced the two, arguably, hottest goalies in this years playoffs and not once did they seem discouraged. Some teams will collapse after throwing 40+ shots at a goalie without bending the twine. Some might give up if they're totally dominating a team only to lose 2-1. But the Ducks have fought through that.

They look good. But so have the Wings. If we get past the Sharks it should be another entertaining series.

Guest Crymson

As you have said, they have been unchallenged so far.... I don't see them holding up against a team giving them quality competition... With that said... Whoever wins our series will be able to destroy them. :D THats my story and I am sticking to it.

Agreed.

That's a big if

and why is that a BIG if? I think we've played the Sharks well, and would actually pose a stiffer test to the Ducks than the Sharks would. It's destiny baby, Babcock vs. his old team. Pronger vs. Lidstrom. :D

What worries me about playing the Ducks is that they have now faced the two, arguably, hottest goalies in this years playoffs and not once did they seem discouraged.

Again, I don't give a rat's ass about Minny's regular season goalie stats, he was a rookie and when the games mattered it showed. Minny was lucky to win 1 game. They never even showed up in the first round. Vancouver? When you pretty much never settle the puck down and can't even set up in the other team's zone, even when you've got a PP you will not win any series; Luongo standing on his head or otherwise. Edited by motorcitykid

I don't think those two series' could be considered coasting. Sure, they put them both away in 5 but a lot of them went to OT and were decided by 1 goal.

What worries me about playing the Ducks is that they have now faced the two, arguably, hottest goalies in this years playoffs and not once did they seem discouraged. Some teams will collapse after throwing 40+ shots at a goalie without bending the twine. Some might give up if they're totally dominating a team only to lose 2-1. But the Ducks have fought through that.

They look good. But so have the Wings. If we get past the Sharks it should be another entertaining series.

Kipper, Turco, and Hasek were/are all "hotter" than Backstrom.

And Anaheim had the softest first round match-up BY FAR of any team that advanced to the 2nd round in the West.

And they had the best match-up 2nd round too. (SJ, Det > Van)

And here I thought the first place team was supposed to get rewarded, not the 2nd.

edit for grammar.

Edited by rick zombo

Kipper, Turco, and Hasek are all "hotter" than Backstrom.

And Anaheim had the softest first round match-up BY FAR of any team that advanced to the 2nd round in the West.

And they and they ahd the best match-up 2nd round too.

And here I thought the first place team was supposed to get rewarded, not the 2nd.

Welcome to the NEW NHL!!!!

Have no fear... one dimensional teams dont win championships. The Sharks can't beat them, but the Wings could, however the Wings have to beat the Sharks first, of course.

Edited by RedLightGoesOn

Anaheim may be coasting to the Western Conference Finals but not to the Cup. San Jose will be playing them in the WCF. The Sharks will rough em up and leave them behind in the west as the Sharks continue on to win the Cup.

I think it's BS that they've had it SO easy so far in this post season. Not saying it's their fault, but still. You gotta face SOME adversity. You gotta have your backs up against the wall SOMETIME within two rounds. Yikes.

Honestly? Ducks don't scare me. Never have, and never will. Whoever wins this series will manhandle them, imo.

Anaheim may be coasting to the Western Conference Finals but not to the Cup. San Jose will be playing them in the WCF. The Sharks will rough em up and leave them behind in the west as the Sharks continue on to win the Cup.

:huh:

Did us Wings fans miss something? I recall the series is 2-2 right now.

Edited by HockeyCrazy3033

WOW !!!!! Slow down there. San Jose have got to win a couple of more game's before you start thinking like that.

That's my story too. They haven't been tested yet, but (yoda voice) they will be, they WILL be.