• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DraperFan MN

Out of Market for tomorrows game? Too bad...

Rate this topic

As reported on WXYT, If regulation time runs over or the game goes to OT, those of us outside Detroit and San Jose will not be able to watch. Let's go to NHL.com and flood them with feedback. Here is the link, scroll down and you will see the "Contact Us" link which will pop up a webform.

http://www.nhl.com/nhlhq/index.html

Here is what I wrote:

I just found out that NBC will dump the Wings/Sharks game @ 4:30 tomorrow for the Kentucky Derby PRE-RACE SHOW!! While those in the San Jose and Detroit markets will probably still be able to view the game if regulation time is extended or the game goes to OT, those of us outside those markets are out of luck. This is unacceptable. The NHL continues to convey it's ineptitude regarding TV deals and scheduling.

Its not totally the NHL. Yes they screwed up by going with NBC and it was a bad deal for them but its NBC who is screwing you over on this one right now. And the sad thing is more people will watch the derby then will watch the hockey game.

That's no surprise at all. I figured as much. But I agree that it's unacceptable for the NHL to have allowed this situation to occur. What the hell is Versus showing Saturday afternoon? Let's see: Fusion TV, Racer TV, Motorsport Hour, Holy @#%*!, and Shark Hunters. I know not everyone gets Versus and that NBC has a contract to get matinee games on the weekends in the playoffs. But you can't tell me these aren't extenuating circumstances that couldn't be negotiated around and an alternative found. I personally feel showing the entire game to everyone in the nation who gets Versus is a much better alternative than showing part of the game on NBC. And this situation was completely foreseeable. For the NHL to have sat around and apparently done absolutely nothing to prevent it (how about a 1:00 start or even a 12:30 start?) is ridiculous.

As for those of you who hate the Kentucky Derby, I can understand where you are coming from. But you have to understand, this race has a longer history in sports than even the Stanley Cup. It is the more prominent event whether you love or hate horseracing and/or hockey. That's simply the fact. I'm not upset with NBC at all about this. It is absolutely what I expected to have happen (though I did somewhat anticipate that maybe NBC could bump the hockey game over to MSNBC or CNBC where they broadcasted some hockey games during the Olympics, then the only hockey fans who would be out of luck would be those without cable). But that the NHL is so shortsighted as to not do everything in their power to prevent this is completely unacceptable. And exactly what I've come to expect from Gary Bettman's NHL.

Edited by Grind Line 33

This is totally unacceptable. I'd love to see ABC or FOX or whoever has the NFL these days pull that kind of @#$% on a sudden death game. Because you know they never would.

The fact of the matter is, the NHL shouldn't let this happen. The best course of action would be to simulcast the game on NBC and Versus (with the NBC feed) and then, if it runs over, pick up the rest of the game on Versus. It ain't perfect, but it would be a solution.

And for @#$%'s sake, NBC *wanted* these afternoon games. Don't screw US over because your network doesn't know how to schedule things.

Ugh. I'm getting progressively angrier as this message progresses, so I better cut it off here before I get really irrational.

EDIT: Okay, I sent a nicely-worded letter to them, totally polite and totally rational. My closing statement was something like, "The NBA, NFL or MLB wouldn't allow something like this to occur. Why does the NHL? What if this was an elimination game? What if it was Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals? What then?"

Edited by edicius

This is totally unacceptable. I'd love to see ABC or FOX or whoever has the NFL these days pull that kind of @#$% on a sudden death game. Because you know they never would.

The fact of the matter is, the NHL shouldn't let this happen. The best course of action would be to simulcast the game on NBC and Versus (with the NBC feed) and then, if it runs over, pick up the rest of the game on Versus. It ain't perfect, but it would be a solution.

And for @#$%'s sake, NBC *wanted* these afternoon games. Don't screw US over because your network doesn't know how to schedule things.

Ugh. I'm getting progressively angrier as this message progresses, so I better cut it off here before I get really irrational.

EDIT: Okay, I sent a nicely-worded letter to them, totally polite and totally rational. My closing statement was something like, "The NBA, NFL or MLB wouldn't allow something like this to occur. Why does the NHL? What if this was an elimination game? What if it was Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals? What then?"

No kidding.

When the NHL signs a contract with NBC to air the games, don't they have any wording in there that requres NBC to actually show the whole game?

How about subscribing to TSN where hockey overrules almost anything on the network at this time of the year.

Isn't that only for our northern (and southern in some cases) friends?

I was not aware this was an option for the states.

F#$% Horse racing... isn't that something VS should envoke their exclusive rights for? That seems more up their ally being outdoors and nothing to do with hockey.

The game will be shown on Versus if it goes into OT.

Are you sure? This is what I was thinking also. Who needs to see the dam* pregame race stuff anyways - ridiculous. NBC shouldn't cover the game at all if they cannot commit to showing both. Also, why is the game not on at noon EST or so, wouldn't that have solved this?

actually having the game on at 3 est is the norm. thats why they put the game on at 2 instead.

i dont think they could go any earlier since the sharks are involved and west coasters might ***** about having hockey on at 9 am.

i really hope you are correct heaton when you say versus will pick up the OT if necessary. (wings will win 5-1 tho so not to worry....)

actually having the game on at 3 est is the norm. thats why they put the game on at 2 instead.

i dont think they could go any earlier since the sharks are involved and west coasters might ***** about having hockey on at 9 am.

As opposed to not getting to see the end of the game at all...

Wow, I'll be damned. I already got an e-mail back from NHL TV:

Kevin -

Thank you for your email. I understand your frustrations.

If the game should need to be switched due to timing issues - fans will be notified during the game as to which cable provider will be picking up the game for the duration.

Thank you for your email.

NHL TV

I contacted NHL.com and here is the responce they just gave me

Derek -

If the game should need to be switched due to timing issues - fans will be notified during the game as to which cable provider will be picking up the game for the duration.

Thank you for your email.

NHL TV

Wow, I'll be damned. I already got an e-mail back from NHL TV:

Okay, that sounds like they will boot the game over to either Versus or more likely MSNBC or CNBC, which is what I anticipated when talk of the conflict first arose since showed Olympic hockey games on those channels to accomodate everything. I think that's an acceptable solution.

Edited by Grind Line 33