• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DraperFan MN

Out of Market for tomorrows game? Too bad...

Rate this topic

It's working! Here is my response! Flood this mailbox!!! Can someone post a similar topic @ The Feeder's forums?

Jeremie -

Thank you for your email. I understand your frustrations.

If the game should need to be switched due to timing issues - fans will be notified during the game as to which cable provider will be picking up the game for the duration.

Thank you for your email.

NHL TV

I just got exactly the same answer, they must have a macro for that answer

Yeah, but if the NHL receives an overwhelming amount emails, the league will be on notice that the fans are not happy about the TV deals and scheduling. Based on a variety of recent interviews by Bettman and others involved with the league, I really think they are clueless to our frustration.

Surprised no one mentioned the money issue....because this is what it is about. I bet if you saw what a 30-second spot for the Kentuckey Derby costs, compared to a 30-second spot for this game, you might be inclined to agree with NBC. Someone mentioned what would happen if this was done with the NFL....no chance of that with the advertising income of that sport.

The game will be shown on Versus if it goes into OT.

I sure as hell hope you're right Heaton.

Okay, that sounds like they will boot the game over to either Versus or more likely MSNBC or CNBC, which is what I anticipated when talk of the conflict first arose since showed Olympic hockey games on those channels to accomodate everything. I think that's an acceptable solution.

That'll work for me.

This is utter bulls***. I live in Michigan, so I'm fine, but I think this is horrible for Wings fans who don't live in Michigan. Even though it doesn't effect me, I still plan to write a letter to them. After all, like someone said, they wouldn't do this for the NFL or NBA. Why should they do it to the NHL?

I work in Louisville, KY on both WHAS and WKRD. I am a Michigan native, born and bred in the Great State also a HUGE Wings fan.

I know there were a lot of folks sweating the WINGS/SHARKS Game here so we had NBC Sports President Kent Schanzer on with our mid-day host Francene. He laid down the straight skinny this morning on her show (on WHAS) as to what NBC would do if the game ran over. You can here it on my page at 790wkrd.com http://www.xtrasports790.com/pages/scottfitzgerald.html

GO WINGS!!!!

I work in Louisville, KY on both WHAS and WKRD. I am a Michigan native, born and bred in the Great State also a HUGE Wings fan.

I know there were a lot of folks sweating the WINGS/SHARKS Game here so we had NBC Sports President Kent Schanzer on with our mid-day host Francene. He laid down the straight skinny this morning on her show (on WHAS) as to what NBC would do if the game ran over. You can here it on my page at 790wkrd.com http://www.xtrasports790.com/pages/scottfitzgerald.html

GO WINGS!!!!

Yeah, he basically said, "we're going to the Derby"....that is not good news.

Yeah, he basically said, "we're going to the Derby"....that is not good news.

That's what I said. It really sucks! What's more is I have Dish Network AND Center Ice, but in order to get the 2nd Round on you have to have .VS. In order for me to get that I need to buy the full package.

It sucks! I can't see the playoffs unless I order the "full monty" from Dish.

It's times like this that moving to Canada seems pretty reasonable.

Growing up in Arizona they would show baseball highlights from game 20 of some team's 164 game schedule or whatver, then talk basketball and off season football... then mention that the Red Wings won Game 1 against the Capitals in the Stanley Cup Finals. Oh how pissed you used to get.

It's times like this that moving to Canada seems pretty reasonable.

Growing up in Arizona they would show baseball highlights from game 20 of some team's 164 game schedule or whatver, then talk basketball and off season football... then mention that the Red Wings won Game 1 against the Capitals in the Stanley Cup Finals. Oh how pissed you used to get.

Testify my brother! In Louisville most of all sports talk radio is the same Rick Pitino, (at the time) Tubby Smith sound bytes recycled through everyone's radio show.

I laughed my ass off last week when the Rangers went 2OT's on the Sabers. People were carrying burning torches to the local NBC station because they weren't showing the Barbaro Special.

Hmmmmm, let me get this straight....#1 Media Market (New York) in a must win situation, whose fans outside Canada (other than Wing Fans) are probably the most passionate about their hockey team or a special about a dead horse???

Hmnmmmmm???

I feel your pain brother! I mention hockey here and all I get is a big redneck "huh??? Whue watches hockee??"

Edited by sfitz152

actually having the game on at 3 est is the norm. thats why they put the game on at 2 instead.

i dont think they could go any earlier since the sharks are involved and west coasters might ***** about having hockey on at 9 am.

i really hope you are correct heaton when you say versus will pick up the OT if necessary. (wings will win 5-1 tho so not to worry....)

9am on a weekend is nothing to complain about. Now if it was a weekday when everyone is not at home then I can see that card be played.

Surprised no one mentioned the money issue....because this is what it is about. I bet if you saw what a 30-second spot for the Kentuckey Derby costs, compared to a 30-second spot for this game, you might be inclined to agree with NBC. Someone mentioned what would happen if this was done with the NFL....no chance of that with the advertising income of that sport.

Oh, I don't blame NBC, I blame the NHL. Their lack of foresight and ineptitude regarding schedules and TV deals, not to mention bargaining power is astounding to me.

I wrote them as well

I fully expect the same cookie cutter response however if enough people voice their displeasure it may make them rethink things

my letter:

I understand that NBC will drop any overtime in the Detroit San Jose series Saturday in favor of the Kentucky Derby PREGAME. this is unacceptable to me as a fan and should be to you. Can you honestly tell me that the Baseball or football play offs would be interrupted?

If you as a league allow it to happen it will never stop.

It's bad enough that hockey now exists on a minor player in sports broadcasting (VS) and network tv. The loss of ESPN was bad enough but now the fans might have to put up with being preempted for a pregame of a horse race.

Recent decisions of the NHL leave a lot of fans feeling short handed and I am one of them.

John

:angry:

WOW F' NBC How in the world are they going to dump the sharks and wings game for freaking Horse races?!?!?! I seriously do not get it.

I have to say all the attention in the bay area has been on the golden state warriors and their first round upset over the mavericks. <-- that was a great series.

I wouldn't be so pissed if they only broke away to show one of those midget horse whippers falling off.

And the horse taking a crap on his face. That would be worth watching the less then two minute race.

From what Bernie said on WDIV broadcast at 5:30 they are still going to show the wings game but have a corner box for the derby. Or knowing our luck as hockey fans the game box will be 2by2 and the derby will be the whole screen ARG! This urks me to no end. I wouldn't mind if it was the regular season. Everyone else can watch the other sports on their respective channels like baseball and basketball but us hickey fans ALWAYS get screwed "cause it's not big enough" PFFFT

And the horse taking a crap on his face. That would be worth watching the less then two minute race.

Yeah, count me in if that happens! I'd laugh my ass off at that pseudo-sport that pretty much exists solely for gambling degenerates.

I'll live with it if I end up watching the end of the game on CNBC. But if I have to fire up Sopcast and watch a grainy picture a couple inches wide because I don't get Versus, I'm breaking some furniture.

Guest LivingtheDream

Thanks for the link! I sent this:

I am a Detroit born fan who lives in the Tri State area (east coast). I have purchased Center Ice for the past 4 years (I think you get a cut). I just heard that the Wings San Jose game on Saturday, May 5, may be cut short (if it runs long) for a Kentucky Derby pregame show. This is ridiculous. First, is it too much to ask the league to get a deal where anyone anywhere can watch all playoff games? Second, is it too much to ask that when a playoff game is available it be available to all viewers if it runs into OT? Can you imagine what it will be like for me to watch this game, have it go into OT and miss the end after investing a few hours?

You, the NHL, are really letting down the fans. Shame, shame on you. And no, the answer isn't to get rid of OT in favor of the shoot out. Sudden death is thrilling.

Remember, NBC is not pre-empting any possible OT for the race itself, but for the pre-race show, which is basically the equivalent of watching the stars arrive before the Oscars. The Derby doesn't start until after 6 PM.

All I can say is, I'm glad I live in the Detroit area.

Just a question - if the game isn't over in regulation before 4:30, what happens then? I mean, it's not unheard of for hockey games to go longer than 2 1/2 hours. Will NBC not show the last 10 minutes or whatever's left of regulation?

Remember, NBC is not pre-empting any possible OT for the race itself, but for the pre-race show, which is basically the equivalent of watching the stars arrive before the Oscars. The Derby doesn't start until after 6 PM.

So we're going to have a little box showing some dumb-ass "pre-horse race" show during our game? Or are they going to do it CBS March Madness style and shrink both into two little tiny boxes, while most of the screen is some cheesy NBC Sports wallpaper?

I CANT WAIT FOR MY ONE WINGS GAME A WEEK!

The funny thing is that there is 4 hours of pre-reace and then 1 minute of action, and then another hour of analysis.

Well hopefully the game is more than 5 minutes of action... :blink: