• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
esteef

Maltby signs 3 year extension!

Rate this topic

The price is not bad, but I'm not sure whether he's still wothy of a Red Wings roster spot.

I'm a big fan of Maltby and what he does and has done for this team. But this is a bad signing. I have a feeling this had more to do with keeping players fans recognise than for what's best for the club.

We have some excellent players on the farm that can do what Maltby does, or pretty close to, for half this price.

It's not like I'm super ticked about it, but I was really hoping that some of the young guys would get a chance to play. Next season there are rumours that players like Grigorenko, Dick Axelsson and possibly even Emmerton or Helm could make the club. But there's no room unless we let Calder and Bertuzzi walk. And I'm not a big fan of that either. We need to resign one of those 2 if not both. But I don't think we'll have the money.

I think this is a good deal, Malts still does a great job for the Wings and for a cut price deal. :clap::thumbup:

I don't know man. At nearly $900,000/year that's pretty steep. Especially when you consider we'll probably be up against cap again next season. Seeing Ellis take his spot for $450,000 looks a lot better.

Not only that, but I have a feeling this deal is a sign that Draper will get one similar.

I don't know man. At nearly $900,000/year that's pretty steep. Especially when you consider we'll probably be up against cap again next season. Seeing Ellis take his spot for $450,000 looks a lot better.

Not only that, but I have a feeling this deal is a sign that Draper will get one similar.

Ellis may be cheaper but when it comes down to important moments Maltby has the veteran experience to do the smart play. Just like how Rissmiller tried to score on the empty net last game instead of working it in the corner and killing the clock. We then came back down the ice and tied the game. A veteran would have held that in the corner and worked th clock. I'd rather have Maltby than Ellis doing Maltby's role.

it doesn't particularly matter what malts does in the regular season, it's all about the playoffs. its worth keeping him around solely for that purpose, when it counts, he steps up, so does draper and all the other scrappers we have on our team. malts was huge last season vs the oilers, and has stepped up his phyisicality and all around game with drapes this postseason. great signing by kenny! :clap:

I think this is a good deal, Malts still does a great job for the Wings and for a cut price deal. :clap::thumbup:

Yeah, thats real great.....maybe they can get him to play well for the Red Wings Alumni team when he sucks even worse next year.

Bad Deal Kenny. :thumbdown:

Let the young guys play.

Yeah, thats real great.....maybe they can get him to play well for the Red Wings Alumni team when he sucks even worse next year.

Bad Deal Kenny. :thumbdown:

Let the young guys play.

:huh: So I guess your saying that Malts has sucked in the playoff's so far this season? :blink:

Ellis may be cheaper but when it comes down to important moments Maltby has the veteran experience to do the smart play. Just like how Rissmiller tried to score on the empty net last game instead of working it in the corner and killing the clock. We then came back down the ice and tied the game. A veteran would have held that in the corner and worked th clock. I'd rather have Maltby than Ellis doing Maltby's role.

I understand that. But 3 years is too long. You have to remember that the Cap can go down as well as up. Lets say in 3 years the Cap goes back down to $44 mil or even less. Having a nearly 40 year old Maltby for almost $1M a year is not something that is financially responsible.

And I have a feeling that Maltby won't be the guy to be on the ice with 1 minute to play next season or beyond.

:huh: So I guess your saying that Malts has sucked in the playoff's so far this season? :blink:

What he's done so far this season including the playoffs does not warrant that contract. MAYBE a one year deal if he scores a couple more playoff goals. His talent is fading, and to tie up that much cash for a 4th line player is dumb in todays NHL. He was worthless this season.

Holland is going to regret this one....................

im really pissed , i was just checking our cap numbers for next year and we already have close to 32 million committed now with maltby's signing and we got quite a few holes to fill in , what do you guys think drapers salary will be when he resigns with us next year ??? if maltby is making like 870 k now then drapers gotta be worth what ?? 1 ?? 1.2 per ?? he's better then maltby id say , we got lidstrom at 7.6 for another year after that we gotta hope he drops it to around 6 million , or else were gonna have problems when zetterberg's contract is up , if we resign bertuzzi its gotta be a 2 yr deal so we clear that cap space for zetterberg , we got some work to get done

im really pissed , i was just checking our cap numbers for next year and we already have close to 32 million committed now with maltby's signing and we got quite a few holes to fill in , what do you guys think drapers salary will be when he resigns with us next year ??? if maltby is making like 870 k now then drapers gotta be worth what ?? 1 ?? 1.2 per ?? he's better then maltby id say , we got lidstrom at 7.6 for another year after that we gotta hope he drops it to around 6 million , or else were gonna have problems when zetterberg's contract is up , if we resign bertuzzi its gotta be a 2 yr deal so we clear that cap space for zetterberg , we got some work to get done

I'd like to think that Drapes gives us a discount when his deal's up for renewal but we'll just have to wait and see.

i wouldnt mind seeing draper get this deal , but keeping both of them ?? thats just ridiculous , and if maltby got close to 900k then draper will get more , cause hes a better player then maltby , i just hope theres a no trade claus so we can trade him if need be, teams will most likely take a 35 yr old maltby with 2 more yrs left if there tryin to win a cup , hes got cup winning experience and is one of the best penalty killers , our problem is we already got draper,zetterberg,datsyuk,franzen,cleary ....soon to be helm and abdelkader that can kill penalties , this deal makes no sense , this deal is all personal , its to thank him for helping us win 3 cups

all i know is holmstrom draper and maltby better be the only "old guys" up front we keep around for yrs to come , bring in the younger guys to mix in with the older experienced players

I'd like to think that Drapes gives us a discount when his deal's up for renewal but we'll just have to wait and see.

theres no doubt he will , cause im sure he can get 2 million with another team ....easily , so even if we get him at 1.2 its a bargain but now adding that with maltby its not good for us , but i got no doubt in my mind some other team tryin to win a cup would give 2 million per for draper, hes one of the best , if not best penalty killer out there, hes got cup winning experience , performs in the playoffs , won 3 cups so he knows what it takes and can check the oppositions best players

theres no doubt he will , cause im sure he can get 2 million with another team ....easily , so even if we get him at 1.2 its a bargain but now adding that with maltby its not good for us , but i got no doubt in my mind some other team tryin to win a cup would give 2 million per for draper, hes one of the best , if not best penalty killer out there, hes got cup winning experience , performs in the playoffs , won 3 cups so he knows what it takes and can check the oppositions best players

I think if we can get Drapes to take a pay cut to maybe 1.2mil as you said or 1.5 mil it will be a great piece of buisness that mean's between the two of them your saving over 2 mil. I know they're getting older, but most team's in the NHL would bite your hand's off to get them with they're experience at a reasonable price.