• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
SouthernWingsFan

2-2-1-1-1, 2-3-2, or 3-3-1 series

Rate this topic

Any one series type have a significant advantage over the other? Are you content with how 2-2-1-1-2 works out with a best of 7 series?

I'd be against 2-3-2, I think it puts a lot of the advantage to the road team in a best-of-7 series, but I'm pretty sure this is done consistently in baseball in the NL/AL Championships and the World Series.

I think 3-3-1 might be worth a shot at some point in time, even though it is kind of extreme. It gives the home team a chance to really put a series away early, etc. Game 7 would be for the home team obviously.

Any one series type have a significant advantage over the other? Are you content with how 2-2-1-1-2 works out with a best of 7 series?

I'd be against 2-3-2, I think it puts a lot of the advantage to the road team in a best-of-7 series, but I'm pretty sure this is done consistently in baseball in the NL/AL Championships and the World Series.

I think 3-3-1 might be worth a shot at some point in time, even though it is kind of extreme. It gives the home team a chance to really put a series away early, etc. Game 7 would be for the home team obviously.

i think you mean 2-2-1-1-1 ;)

I like the way it is now

Edited by Viperar

3-3-1 is just absurd. A good home team could win the series before even hitting the road. I am perfectly content with the current 2-2-1-1-1. Even though it doesn't benefit the Red Wings much as far as travel in the Western Conference, it is the fairest format. 2-3-2 is OK, but it's tough to beat a team three straight times even with home ice advantage. This means you virtually have to win at least two on the road at some point. The current format works so I would say just leave it be.

at no point should a team have 3 home games in a row. That gives way too much advantage to the home teams having 3 straight at home. The home team gets to sleep at home with their families for a week, while the road team needs a hotel for a week. Who do you think will be most comfortable?

The 2-2-1-1-1 is the most fair for both teams. It gives home ice advantage to the higher seeded team, but it gives the other team a chance with the second two games at their home rink. The difference comes in the last three games, where two of them are at the higer seeded team's home rink. Yeah, it can suck for travel in the Western Conference when you have teams at the geographic extremes of the conference, like Detroit and San Jose, playing each other, but both teams have to make that travel so neither has an advantage over the other.

A 2-3-2 would be ideal for travel, but gives the lower seeded team the advantage by having three games played at their rink in the middle of a series. 3-3-1 might work, but again, you run the risk of the higher seeded team being up 3 games to 1 before the lower seeded team even gets to play a home game.

It's an imperfect system, no matter how you look at it, but you have to go with the format that is the most fair for both teams, and that's the 2-2-1-1-1, the way it is now.

i think you mean 2-2-1-1-1 ;)

I like the way it is now

Wadsworth: The game's up, Scarlet. There are no more bullets left in that gun.

Miss Scarlet: Oh, come on, you don't think I'm gonna fall for that old trick?

Wadsworth: It's not a trick. There was 1 shot at Mr. Boddy in the Study; 2 for the chandelier; 2 at the Lounge door and 1 for the singing telegram.

Miss Scarlet: That's not 6.

Wadsworth: 1 plus 2 plus 2 plus 1.

Miss Scarlet: Uh-uh, there was 1 shot that got the chandelier. That's 1 plus 2 plus *1* plus 1.

Wadsworth: Even if you were right, that would be 1 plus 1 plus 2 plus 1, not 1 plus *2* plus 1 plus 1.

------------------------

Ha ha. Yeah, I've never thought a 2-3-2 series was fair to the home team who is supposed to have an advantage...who cares if you get the last 2...the series could be decided by then...

The problem with 2-3-2 is that at one point in the series, the lower seeded team will have played more home games than the higher seeded team. I don't like this at all. At any point in the series, the team with home ice advantage should always have played more home games or an equal amount. 3-3-1 fits this requirment, but I agree that it is too extreme. 3 straight home games is kind of ridiculous.

PS: Hey Offsides, waiting to see that cup move to #7 on the sig ;-)

Edited by redwinger4747

2-2-1-1-1 is perfect.

3-3-1 and 2-3-2 are by far disadvantages for a top seeded team, since you have to play 3 road games in a row. Especially if you line up against an oppenent who is very good at home (like Calgary), then that team is at a huge disadvantage.