• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Wings_Dynasty

Sharks Making Bigger Mistakes Than They Think

Rate this topic

The Sharks are doing what they wanted.... until Homer got back.

They were containing the top line and taking all of Detroit's physicality in stride. And all the way up to Game 4, they were the favorites to win. And, honestly, I wasn't 100% postive that the Wings could overcome their size.

However, over the last 2 games, the Sharks have not only failed at stopping the D-Z-H line, but they have allowed other players (Sammy, Lang, and Bert) find their respective grooves. And this is the last thing that the Sharks want. One hot line killed the Sharks today, another will bury them for sure in the next game.

During the scrum today at the end of the 2nd period, I realized that the Sharks have lost the "we are bigger and stronger" than the Wings mentality. There was a shift in momentum that I rarely see in Wings hockey against equal opponents. Lilja dropping their "grinding" guys, Bert plowing through their defense toward the net (yes, he hasn't scored, but the power is there), and Lang and Sammy scoring and raising their confidence. The Sharks are playing a gear below the Wings with their foot on the brake.

But by far, Homer is killing the Sharks more than anything else. They have no solution to his style of play, which is "stand near the crease and wait." On his goal today, there was ZERO attention paid to him except from Nabby. I hate to say it, but a LARGE piece of the puzzle was missing the first 3 games, a piece that I believed was smaller than it actually is.

Yes, the series isn't over yet and there is still Game 6 to be played, but the Wings have put themselves firmly in the driver's seat and it will take more than Joe Thornton and Nabby to move them.

But by far, Homer is killing the Sharks more than anything else. They have no solution to his style of play, which is "stand near the crease and wait." On his goal today, there was ZERO attention paid to him except from Nabby. I hate to say it, but a LARGE piece of the puzzle was missing the first 3 games, a piece that I believed was smaller than it actually is.

Did you consider that having Homer out for the first three games might have been a blessing in disguise? The first three games are usually the most telling in terms of teams figuring each other out, and just when the Sharks and Wings have their plans of attack lined up, enter the lone anamoly - a player that the Sharks weren't able to include in the equation until Game 4. It's certainly possible that Homer could have made a difference in Games 1 & 3, but it's also possible that he would have influenced the pace of the Sharks early on.

Regardless, I agree that he's has been a strong factor than I would have credited him for before his return.

wings have been playing great.

homer has been a beast

has anyone else noticed that a good segment of SJ fans still think not only that the sharks can/will win game 6 (which i wouldnt be shocked if they did) but are quite confident that the sharks would win the game 7 in detroit. i think thats just purely a lapse of logic on their part.

personally tho,.

i do think the Wings will get the business done on monday night.

homer has been a beast

has anyone else noticed that a good segment of SJ fans still think not only that the sharks can/will win game 6 (which i wouldnt be shocked if they did) but are quite confident that the sharks would win the game 7 in detroit. i think thats just purely a lapse of logic on their part.

personally tho,.

Well of course they are going to think that. It's their team and they are going to be positive no matter what. Just like us Wings fans would be if we were in their position.

Honestly though? I've seen majority of Sharks fans say this series is over. I'm confident that the Wings will take it in 6, but the last win is always the hardest.

homer has been a beast

personally tho,.

I'm hoping they can win Game 6 and then repeat 1994's Game 7 result.

...but that would require them to play two games with a full 60 minutes of hockey in each, something they have failed to do even once during this series.

I'll be there screaming my head off on Monday though, I guarantee you that.

But by far, Homer is killing the Sharks more than anything else. They have no solution to his style of play, which is "stand near the crease and wait."

Anyone with a fat ass can stand in front of the goalie and block his view - no skill there, just big ol' clown pants. Why he's made a difference is he's got great reflexes. That first goal of his was a monument to opportunistic hockey skills - absolutely beautiful.

Credit where it's due - the guy's playing great. I didn't see much of the regular season for the Wings this year, but he's made some memorable plays in the playoffs.

Anyone with a fat ass can stand in front of the goalie and block his view - no skill there, just big ol' clown pants. Why he's made a difference is he's got great reflexes. That first goal of his was a monument to opportunistic hockey skills - absolutely beautiful.

Credit where it's due - the guy's playing great. I didn't see much of the regular season for the Wings this year, but he's made some memorable plays in the playoffs.

absolutely correct. its his timing, reflex, and hand eye coordination (not to mention being insane enought to stand infront of a 90mph slapper) anybody remember the opening goal of Game 7 vs Colorado in 2002???? falling down parallel to the ice and still gets his stick on it to deflect it past Roy

example: bertuzzi, obviously not meant to play screen

I think monday night is gonna be rough as hell. I think the sharks are gonna do their best to regain the "bigger stronger" image that they came into the series with. However... I hope to goodness that it will be too little too late and the wings take 'em.

I think monday night is gonna be rough as hell. I think the sharks are gonna do their best to regain the "bigger stronger" image that they came into the series with. However... I hope to goodness that it will be too little too late and the wings take 'em.

IF we lose game 6we will win game seven.Thats if the Sharks don't get upset and start hitting instead of playing hockey.In that case it's over for them by golly. :D

Well of course they are going to think that. It's their team and they are going to be positive no matter what. Just like us Wings fans would be if we were in their position.

Honestly though? I've seen majority of Sharks fans say this series is over. I'm confident that the Wings will take it in 6, but the last win is always the hardest.

i highly doubt too many people would be positive if we were in the position they are in now... i mean they were 30 seconds away from taking a strangle hold 3-1 series lead.. now they are down 3-2...