• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

BringHomeTheCup!

Off season....

Rate this topic

Dom is 42. He is no spring chicken. He very well could retire, espesically is we win the Cup.

With a lack of goaltending depth on the UFA market, what do you think the Wings should do? I'm not a Hasek fan, but if he doesn't retire, I just don't see a better choice in net. I could see a guy like Belfour stepping in for a season like Dom did, but that is a lateral move in net. As much as I wish there was someone available at an affordable price to take Dom's place, there simply isn't.

The best possible UFA options are Giguere and Backstrom. Backstrom is largely unproven, evenso, he most likely will attract a lot of attention from several teams. Giguere is simply going to cost too much. He will command $6 million per, I just don't see Kenny spending what little room we have in that manner.

So, who is your choice if Dom retires or signs elsewhere? This is just for fun, something to talk about on a day off. Again, I DO think Dom is our best option, this is just a hypothetical. Let's have some fun with it. Here are my ideas.

1. Denis: He had a horrible year in Tampa, there is a lot of talk he will get bought out. He was amazing for the Jackets. I think he'd be worth a one-year shot.

2. Theodore: I know, I know, he has also been awful. But again, what would it hurt to sign him to a one-year deal? Even if say he wanted a three-year deal, remember he was the league MVP once. Worse case senario, we buy him out.

3. Osgood Liv/Howard: I'm not sure how I feel about these guys. I like Ozzie, I think he could backstop us without much trouble, and the young guys need some steady NHL experience sometime.

Remember, just have FUN with this....

Backstrom - Unproven , cant make saves when tehy count.

Giguere - Would love to have , a bit pricey.

Denis - No , I'd rather Osgood as Ozzie still ahs the ability to win games. Denis doesnt.

Theodore - His "MVP" form was 32 wins. No thanks

I'll take Belfour if Dom does retire. I'll take Dom if he isnt going to retire. I'd take Osgood/Howard if thats the best we've got.

Belfour? Sorry, but I got to buy a vowel if the Wings want him, a lot of vowels...

For once, I want the Wings to not play musical goaltenders.

If Hasek wants to/is able to come back next season, I'd welcome him back as long as he keeps in shape, which he has proven to this year, because his play hasn't dropped off much.

If not, Osgood and Howard/Liv.

No more bringing in new goalies.

I like the Theodore idea. Can't judge him on one bad year with the Avs. He's an incredible tender and he would be my first pick of the options you listed.

Personally though I want Vesa Toskala. It's mind boggling to me why he isn't starting against the Wings right now. He's an incredible goaltender and I'm sure San Jose is setting up to move him eventually (Unless they move Nabokov, which now that I think about it is quite possible if he blows this series.) - Just look what happened a few years back with Nabokov and Kiprusoff... That sure worked out for Mikka and the Calgary Flames.

Edited by Kipru-Soft

I do not want Belfour on the Red Wings at all costs. I think if Dom does retire, then it is time to start playing some of the youth that the Wings have in their system right now. Let Osgood start next season and start to work in Jimmy Howard to get him ready to take over a year later. There is no sense of having these capable prospects and letting them rot in Grand Rapids forever. I love all of the Red Wings veterans, but at some point, some of the young guys deserve their shot at the real deal.

Edited by GoWings1905

Guest REDWINGS4LYFE

hey guys we still havent won/lost yet why not save this for the offseason! i know we are accustomed to this type of talk at this time of the year but not this year :D

Something I don't understand is the general 'hell no' responce to Belfour. I get that he is disliked as much as any player not named Claude Lemieux, and with good reason. However, he could be a good fit, a gap stop. We accepted Krupp, Cheli, and Bert, so if Belfour was signed, why not him?

How about McLennnan? :lol:

Belfour - NO WAY! I was SO afraid they would sign him last year I almost lost it. Way past his prime.

Giguere - Naw, he'll probably get somewhere from 5-6 mil, I'd rather offer that to Lundqvist (RFA) than Giguere

Theodore - Still has another year on his contract at 6 mil. He isn't going anywhere.

Denis - Rather have Osgood.

Backstrom - I think he could do well in Detroit, played great with Manny out and could probably be signed for around 2 mil.

My first choice would be Ray Emery, he's a restricted free agent this summer and with the contract they gave to Gerber Ottawa might have a hard time resigning him. Plus it'd be nice to have a goaltender who isn't afraid to drop the gloves once in awhile :D Next, I'd go for Bryzgalov, then Mike Smith. If Anaheim does resign Giguere for 5-6 mil, they'd probably have to trade Bryzgalov just to make cap space. I know there's no way Dallas will trade Smith, but I think he'd be a very capable netminder anywhere else.

What about Joseph? He's a free agent this year, I think he played great in Detroit.

How about McLennnan? :lol:

Belfour - NO WAY! I was SO afraid they would sign him last year I almost lost it. Way past his prime.

Giguere - Naw, he'll probably get somewhere from 5-6 mil, I'd rather offer that to Lundqvist (RFA) than Giguere

Theodore - Still has another year on his contract at 6 mil. He isn't going anywhere.

Denis - Rather have Osgood.

Backstrom - I think he could do well in Detroit, played great with Manny out and could probably be signed for around 2 mil.

My first choice would be Ray Emery, he's a restricted free agent this summer and with the contract they gave to Gerber Ottawa might have a hard time resigning him. Plus it'd be nice to have a goaltender who isn't afraid to drop the gloves once in awhile :D Next, I'd go for Bryzgalov, then Mike Smith. If Anaheim does resign Giguere for 5-6 mil, they'd probably have to trade Bryzgalov just to make cap space. I know there's no way Dallas will trade Smith, but I think he'd be a very capable netminder anywhere else.

What about Joseph? He's a free agent this year, I think he played great in Detroit.

:clap::clap::clap:

Here is my rebuttle:

Belfour: Why not? He is no worse than Joseph?

Giguere: I agree.

Theodore: Most likely will be bought out, the Avs have all but done it.

Backstrom: I thin he will get closer to $4-5 million per, if for no other reason than because of the lack of quality goaltending available.

Emery, Bryzgalov: RFA's, we'd have to give up compensatory picks, I'm not sure if we have the picks available to give up.

Joseph: Has a track record of not preforming on teams that don't need him to play stellar just to have a chance.

hey guys we still havent won/lost yet why not save this for the offseason! i know we are accustomed to this type of talk at this time of the year but not this year :D

Like I said in the original post, it's something to do for fun on an off day.

No chance Joseph comes back here after the way management treated him. His play the past two seasons hasn't been anything special either.

Dom might be back for another year, especially if he wings the cup and is willing to accept another incentive driven contract :)

That's the best type of deal for us!

I read on spectors that Detroit will likely try and re-sign Hasek if he wants to come back due to the lack of quality free agents out there.

You can make arguments all day long about who the Wings should sign, but Backstrom and Giguere are the only UFAs who would be worth it.

I read on spectors that Detroit will likely try and re-sign Hasek if he wants to come back due to the lack of quality free agents out there.

You can make arguments all day long about who the Wings should sign, but Backstrom and Giguere are the only UFAs who would be worth it.

I want the Wings to resign Dom, I still think he's more than capable of playing on for at least one more season. But if they don't, I wouldn't mind them going after Backstrom.

The best option, it seems, is Hasek while we still have Osgood signed for another year. They can split games and if one is injured, we can get Jimmy in for some games. Howard/Osgood is another choice, but that might be a little risky considering Detroit will likely have a young defense: Kronwall, Lebda, along with 1 or both of Quincey and Kindl.

Guest GodofHockeyStevieY19

Im confident that Kenny boy will have the tender position locked down. If he thinks Hasek can go another season, and if Hasek thinks he can go another season. I say why not. Dom has made some mistakes, but hes been excellent in many situations as well. All around a really talented goaltender. But if Dom is done after this season. Then no doubt Kenny will bring in a high profile goalie. Its just a matter of who and when. Because it may not just be a free agency thing. He may even through a trade. Ya never know. So the next tender really could be coming from anywhere. There are so many that I would love to have that its hard for me to narrow it down. All I know is, which ever high-profile tender he brings in, I'll be a big fan of.

Guest GodofHockeyStevieY19

So, who is your choice if Dom retires or signs elsewhere? This is just for fun, something to talk about on a day off. Again, I DO think Dom is our best option, this is just a hypothetical.

Remember, just have FUN with this....

Umm...gotcha ;)

Giguere and Backstrom are the only decent options really, but the chances of landing them are slim to none. Giguere will ask for a lot of money and Backstrom will likely stay in Minnesota.

Belfour is an idiot, and is miles past his prime. Pass.

Theodore would only become a good goalie again if he played in a market where has zero pressure to perform, such as Phoenix or Florida. He would get fried here in Detroit, by not only the opposing teams players, but us, the fans. Pass.

Joseph will never play here again. I think we all know why, so I don't need to disgress any further.

And I've got to say here: I find it so funny that some of you actually think Marc Denis should be the guy. Why not just keep Osgood? Osgood is a decent goalie and can hold on to at least the backup job. Denis can't even do that. He lost out to Karri Rammo, and was the #3 goalie.

There's not much to choose from, as you can see. There are a few other names thrown around of guys that have been starters before, like Robert Esche, Jocelyn Thibault, David Aebischer, Sean Burke, Kevin Weekes, Brian Boucher, Mike Dunham or Mika Noronen, but in reality we would just be better off keeping Hasek or going with Osgood as the starter.