• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Drake_Marcus

Teams Marcus thinks will be scary next season

Rate this topic

In no perticular order, here are the teams that I think are a few equinoctials away from being real beasts. Note that I've left off teams like the Pens- we all know they could be the next Oilers/Islanders dynasty team. These are just teams that are missing some pieces.

1. The Devils: If they keep Gomez (which I'll bet they will or at least get a great return on him since Marty won't be around forever) and add another few goal scorers as well as pick up a new coach/assistant coach (depending on if Lou plans to internally promote as per rumours) they'll be pretty sick next season. I know people fear them already, but I was really hoping we'd face them in the finals because a strong opposing goaltender would have been their undoing. They just couldn't roll 4 scoring lines out there. And let's face it- you can't walk into the playoffs with a team that's used to winning off 2-1 games consistently, regardless of your tender. You'll always run into teams that can score 3 or 4 goals a night and if you can't pony up when your tender lets in some extra goals then you're too shallow of a team to deserve the win. Great goalies need great teams in front of them or Kipper wouldn't have bought a sleeve of balls ten minutes ago.

2. The Lightning: This is entirely dependant on whether they manage to dump the weeping sore of an overpayed player that is Richards. If they're forced to dump Lacav or St.L I expect we'll see them wallowing in the sad 16. If, however, they do something clever, like trading a financial woe for a brilliant young goaltender, watch out! They got to the first round on the play of one line alone. When your 1st line is young and capable of dragging a mediocre team through a horrible first half and into the playoffs you have a good team to build on. Truth be told, though, I have a hard time seeing them doing a whole lot next seasons for one reason: the owner/market. By imposing a $40 mill cap on a team that's missing key pieces but has a few brilliant players waiting to be pouched away he's damning that team for the next 5-10 years. Or maybe not. I'm not a GM. ;)

3. The Thrashers: Marian Hossa, Ilya Kovalchuk and Kozlov are amazing. Koz may be getting older, but he's not getting worse. Zhitnik obviously proved to be an important component for this team given the impact he had along with Tkachuk (whos name always reminds me of a skate component). I really thought they'd go deeper this post season, and that should tell you how much I really know about hockey tongue.gif

4. The 'Nuks: They've been on the edge of awesomeness for a while now, and it turns out this new goalie of theirs almost makes up for the demise of their once feared top line. Plus we all know the Sedin twins are only gonna get better. This is another team that's a few aquisitions away from being sweet. I can see an underrated or under performing but talented forward blossoming on that team. It's clear they've got an amazing netminder for quite a few years to come and a talented top line, the rest is aquireable, no?

5. The Wild: Demitra, Rolston, Gaborik, and Koivu (he's only gonna get better!). Oh yeah, add to that a pair of decent goalies and obviously capable D. I think they'd really benefit from the aquisition of a high-scoring D to throw on the point during the PP.

What do you guys think? I hope the Thrashers GM doesn't give up now, that team has cool uniforms!

EDIT: Took care of some spelling issues, but I'm really missing my computer right now :(

Edited by Drake_Marcus

Guest GodofHockeyStevieY19

Oh sweet, I always wanted to know who MARCUS thinks will be strong. Wow. Its like, I can now die a happy man now that I know Marcus' picks. Wait a sec, who the hell is marcus???

Can you seriously make judgements at a point in the year where so many free agents are going to be available this off-season. Most of which are names that could swing the pendulem either way. Well if all that typing made you feel good but I think you wasted a valiant effort. <_<

I like this post but I'm not really that convinced about the Devils. Lightning, sure, all they need is a decent goalie. Thrashers, I'm not really sure what went wrong with this team. The Canucks failed because the Sedins lost their nerve, sort of what happened with the Thrashers. I'm not gonna go near predicting the Wild, we'll see what happens.

Other teams to look out for: Rangers, Penguins aaaand if they manage to resign some people, the Islanders. In the East it's more difficult: maybe the Predators though I doubt it. I'm hoping the Kings become atleast decent.

And Henrik Larsson is amazing!!!! :ph34r:

EDIT: Why do people have to be lame?

Edited by SweWings

In no perticular order, here are the teams that I think are a few equinoctials away from being real beasts. Note that I've left off teams like the Pens- we all know they could be the next Oilers/Islanders dynasty team. These are just teams that are missing some pieces.

1. The Devils: If they keep Gomez (which I'll bet they will or at least get a great return on him since Marty won't be around forever) and add another few goal scorers as well as pick up a new coach/assistant coach (depending on if Lou plans to internally promote as per rumours) they'll be pretty sick next season. I know people fear them already, but I was really hoping we'd face them in the finals because a strong opposing goaltender would have been their undoing. They just couldn't roll 4 scoring lines out there. And let's face it- you can't walk into the playoffs with a team that's used to winning off 2-1 games consistently, regardless of your tender. You'll always run into teams that can score 3 or 4 goals a night and if you can't pony up when your tender lets in some extra goals then you're too shallow of a team to deserve the win. Great goalies need great teams in front of them or Kipper wouldn't have bought a sleeve of balls ten minutes ago.

2. The Lightning: This is entirely dependant on whether they manage to dump the weeping sore of an overpayed player that is Richards. If they're forced to dump Lacav or St.L I expect we'll see them wallowing in the sad 16. If, however, they do something clever, like trading a financial woe for a brilliant young goaltender, watch out! They got to the first round on the play of one line alone. When your 1st line is young and capable of dragging a mediocre team through a horrible first half and into the playoffs you have a good team to build on. Truth be told, though, I have a hard time seeing them doing a whole lot next seasons for one reason: the owner/market. By imposing a $40 mill cap on a team that's missing key pieces but has a few brilliant players waiting to be pouched away he's damning that team for the next 5-10 years. Or maybe not. I'm not a GM. ;)

3. The Thrashers: Marian Hossa, Ilya Kovalchuk and Kozlov are amazing. Koz may be getting older, but he's not getting worse. Zhitnik obviously proved to be an important component for this team given the impact he had along with Tkachuk (whos name always reminds me of a skate component). I really thought they'd go deeper this post season, and that should tell you how much I really know about hockey tongue.gif

4. The 'Nuks: They've been on the edge of awesomeness for a while now, and it turns out this new goalie of theirs almost makes up for the demise of their once feared top line. Plus we all know the Sedin twins are only gonna get better. This is another team that's a few aquisitions away from being sweet. I can see an underrated or under performing but talented forward blossoming on that team. It's clear they've got an amazing netminder for quite a few years to come and a talented top line, the rest is aquireable, no?

5. The Wild: Demitra, Rolston, Gaborik, and Koivu (he's only gonna get better!). Oh yeah, add to that a pair of decent goalies and obviously capable D. I think they'd really benefit from the aquisition of a high-scoring D to throw on the point during the PP.

What do you guys think? I hope the Thrashers GM doesn't give up now, that team has cool uniforms!

EDIT: Took care of some spelling issues, but I'm really missing my computer right now :(

1. Devils - As long as Marty is in net for NJ, they will be a scary team. He has won Cups before without much scoring help. He is the premier 'tender in the league right now.

2. Lightning - This team may have found it's soultion to the goaltending issues in Lunqvist. He was pretty solid, espically for not getting much help. I don't think the $40 cap is a good idea, if they are serious about this, it means they acutally need to cut payroll from this season. This would make it impossible to re-sign Boyle, and make any significant improvements. Getting rid of Richards via trade won't happen. I could be wrong but I think he has a no-trade clause, if not his high salary pretty much is just that. I know St. Louis has a no-trade, leaving Vinny as the only possible trade. And the GM has been quoted several time saying "I don't want to be known as the GM who traded away Vinny." So, that won't happen. If they spend a lil more, buy out Denis, they have a chance to be dominate. Boyle MUST be re-signed.

3. Thrashers - They don't have the goaltending you need to be a dangerous team. They need an upgrade badly. I would like Kieth T walk, as well as Zhitnik, and go after Giggy with the money he would have spent on them.

4. Vancouver - Anytime you have a gamer like Luongo, you have a chance. Luongo single handedly kept them in the series against the Ducks. If they can get Nasln\und and Morrison going, look out.

5. Wild - I don't see this team being a real threat. They don't play a style that lets their scorers score or one that expects everyone to play soundly on defense. They need to get deeper.

2. Lightning - This team may have found it's soultion to the goaltending issues in Lunqvist. He was pretty solid, espically for not getting much help. I don't think the $40 cap is a good idea, if they are serious about this, it means they acutally need to cut payroll from this season. This would make it impossible to re-sign Boyle, and make any significant improvements. Getting rid of Richards via trade won't happen. I could be wrong but I think he has a no-trade clause, if not his high salary pretty much is just that. I know St. Louis has a no-trade, leaving Vinny as the only possible trade. And the GM has been quoted several time saying "I don't want to be known as the GM who traded away Vinny." So, that won't happen. If they spend a lil more, buy out Denis, they have a chance to be dominate. Boyle MUST be re-signed.

Holmqvist?

What do all of these teams have in common? They are all golfing right now. Nice effort on the post, but bad timing. It's tough to say a team will be scary next season when just recently their biggest flaws and weaknesses were exposed. Plus free agency can make a huge difference as well. I personally don't care who is scary, just as long as the guys with the winged wheel are winning.

I like this post but I'm not really that convinced about the Devils. Lightning, sure, all they need is a decent goalie. Thrashers, I'm not really sure what went wrong with this team. The Canucks failed because the Sedins lost their nerve, sort of what happened with the Thrashers. I'm not gonna go near predicting the Wild, we'll see what happens.

Other teams to look out for: Rangers, Penguins aaaand if they manage to resign some people, the Islanders. In the East it's more difficult: maybe the Predators though I doubt it. I'm hoping the Kings become atleast decent.

And Henrik Larsson is amazing!!!! :ph34r:

EDIT: Why do people have to be lame?

I agree about the Penguins next season I think they're gonna be awsome. :thumbup:

HENRIK LARSSON is the king of kings.!!!!!!!!! :clap::D

In the East it's more difficult: maybe the Predators though I doubt it.

Uhh, yeah, I doubt it too. Although, I would be VERY impressed if the Predators won the Eastern Conference.

Uhh, yeah, I doubt it too. Although, I would be VERY impressed if the Predators won the Eastern Conference.

:ph34r:

Seriously though, I really expected them to be better during these play-offs.

Can you seriously make judgements at a point in the year where so many free agents are going to be available this off-season. Most of which are names that could swing the pendulem either way. Well if all that typing made you feel good but I think you wasted a valiant effort. <_<

In no perticular order, here are the teams that I think are a few aquisitions away from being real beasts.

*sigh*

EDIT:

Damn, I can't edit my original post, but in adding the quote above I noticed that the spell check changed aquisitions to "equinoctials". (sliiiigghtly different meaning)

Edited by Drake_Marcus