• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

SouthernWingsFan

Cup or bust, or not?

Rate this topic

This year, from what I'm seeing is different than all the other years after 2002. To me they are showing mega demtermination! If they wanted to bust, they could have easily let the sharks run all over them the past 2 games. This is a team with a lot of new faces. I feel they want to win it all for the younger guys who haven't had the chance to taste winning the cup yet. But if they do not go all the way, I won't be disappointed, I'm happy just like the rest of you that they have gotten this far!

I, for one, hope the Wings players (and fans) are hungry and feel like they have gone nowhere yet, because it will drive them onwards. It is dangerous to feel satisfied in do-or-die matchups. Go Wings, the SC finals are just four wins away!

Edited by unkempt

If you would have told me a month ago that the Red Wings would beat the Flames and Sharks in the playoffs I would have been thrilled and content. Now that it is happening, it is only human nature to want more. They're so close, how could anything but the Stanley Cup not be a bust? I'm all for saying hey two rounds is great so far, but is anything besides winning it all worthwhile? I'm more proud of this team than maybe any Red Wings team before, but now that they have accomplished this, I want more. They play and we watch because the goal is to win the Stanley Cup, anything less is a disappointment to the players and fans. You can say I'm greedy and un-realistic, but being a Red Wings fan is about expectations. I expect them to win, so yes not winning it all is a bust. 8 down, 8 to go - Beat The Ducks!

Edited by GoWings1905

I said at the beginning of the playoffs, if Detroit made it to the conference finals, it was a success in my book. I just hope to hell the players dont feel as proud of themselves as I am of them, because if they do then we can kiss the cup goodbye

Regardless of the outcome of this series, I'm proud of this Wings team for doing better than expected, and I hope they can continue to play this way over the next 1 1/2 - 2 weeks. :cool: :beerbuddy:

I hope they can continue to play this way over the next month or so. :cool:

You have Chelios - who was reportedly on his way out a decade ago - routinely outplaying bigger, stronger guys who are half his age. You have former late-drafted nobodies Holmstrom and Franzen playing through all kinds of physical abuse with a fearless drive that even Don Cherry couldn't deny. You have Datsyuk - who many preached was a gutless pansy - driving to the net, mixing it up after plays, and asserting himself all over the ice. You have Cleary - our poster child for hard work and playoff passion - who at one time was accused of having unlimited offensive potential but no work ethic...funny how that worked out. Then there's this year's hatred lightning rod, Andreas Lilja, blocking shots left and right and hitting anything that comes near the defensive zone.

I don't see how anyone can watch these guys play like they have and not be proud as hell to root for them. Before the year began most were saying they'd be satisfied with a low playoff spot and a 2nd round exit...here we are a few months later talking about Cup or bust...pretty incredible. Cup or no Cup, I'll have nothing but love and respect for the Wings when the season is over.

I just hope the Ducks are ready for war, because this is NOT the same team they played in 2003.

Beautiful, beautiful post. This post almost brought tears to my eyes. It truly is all of us, one goal - together!

Go WINGS!!

It's always upsetting when the Wings don't win the cup. But, I never expected that we would get this far. Not only have we made it to the Conference Finals, but the team is playing great. We have Datsyuk finally stepping it up, the old guys (hasek and chelios) playing phenomenal hockey, Lang is pitching in, and I don't even need to mention how great Lilja has been. The whole team is just doing great! :cool:

The only thing that can make this better is winning the cup. But, I'm completely satisfied and proud of how far the boys made it. Even if they don't win it all in the end, I'd call this season a success. :clap:

Edited by Winger

I said at the beginning of the playoffs, if Detroit made it to the conference finals, it was a success in my book. I just hope to hell the players dont feel as proud of themselves as I am of them, because if they do then we can kiss the cup goodbye

Ditto for me.

Cup or bust? Nah, that was 2002. Like many of the posters, I'm just excited about the deep playoff run - something we've sorely missed for 5 years. I'm also excited that were in the mix with 4 teams left- we're on par with any of the 3 teams left imo. But, if we don't win, sure I will be very very sad and disappointed, but like many of the posters, damn am I proud of this team. This is all a fan could ask for every year - players giving it their all - never giving up - extremely fun team to watch. I've been thoroughly entertained and I expect it again this series.

Go Wings the sky's the limit! :cup: