• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

KrazyGangsta

Is Every Canadian Sports Station Against Wings?

Rate this topic

:!: Can i know why all the canadian stations always talk as if wings dont stand a chance against the ducks or sharks or wtv like i dont get it ... is their a reason or just like that ... i know ducks are a really good team but you cant say we dont stand a chance ... what if pronger and niedermayer get injured or the ducks dont bring their game to the ice you never know what can happen ... im watchin hockey central now on sportsnet and the guy (i forgot his name) his like hasek vs the big bad annoying ducks that their stronger and better ... making it sound like were dead ... im getting pretty much fed up ... i hope i really hope we beat the ducks and then go off beating the sens just so they can shut up for at least one off season

I totally agree. It's absolutely ridiculous, there is never one positive mention of any of the Wings players at all. Everything revolves around the "big" Canadian players. I remember all of them saying how much bigger and better the Sharks were and that the Sharks are a "better team". No, they are a one line team and they are done. I expect the Ducks to fall the same way. GO WINGS!

Guest Tunbo Batman

oh believe me, thier opinion has nothing to do with reality, they are paid to push canaidan hockey no matter what. even if we win the cup, they won't say anything positive. fortunately, they are ignorant assholes, so its safe to ignore their stupid comments.

my guess is that they will talk about how canadians in Ducks line up will be too much for us all series long.

and when they lose, 'oh how underachieving you guys were, you guys did it to yourselves' all that hoopla.

Edited by Yemack

I believe it is a combination of things. Before Steve retired and Shanahan left, they were very positive in some of their reporting, but now we do not have a Canadian superstar. Most of the Wings top players are European, so they do not have a local spin they can connect. The other is some of their people utter contempt for the Wings to call themselves Hockeytown. A lot of them really resent the Wings and look at them has arrogant jerks. In my opinion the main reason is the Wings win. They have a lot better organization than any Canadian team. They are always in top 5 teams and they have huge fan support. At least thats is what I get when I go on their boards, a lot of them really dislike the Wings. Maybe our Canadian friends can tell us some other reasons.

I don't think they're all that bad so long as the Wings aren't playing a Canadian team. I think a big reason for it is because Detroit's had a lot of success over the last decade and they'd like to see a newer team break through and take a shot at winning the cup. It's the same reason I dislike the Devils. Nothing against the team, but I'd rather see almost anyone else advance than them.

By the way, I love Glen Healy. He tells it like it is no matter what. His segment with the Loch Ness Monster on TSN is awesome, "The player you've heard of but haven't seen".

Everyone was horny for the Ducks right from the start of the year and not so much for the Wing's and its still like that..hence the reason that everyone is tooting the Ducks horn still!!

I believe it is a combination of things. Before Steve retired and Shanahan left, they were very positive in some of their reporting, but now we do not have a Canadian superstar. Most of the Wings top players are European, so they do not have a local spin they can connect. The other is some of their people utter contempt for the Wings to call themselves Hockeytown. A lot of them really resent the Wings and look at them has arrogant jerks. In my opinion the main reason is the Wings win. They have a lot better organization than any Canadian team. They are always in top 5 teams and they have huge fan support. At least thats is what I get when I go on their boards, a lot of them really dislike the Wings. Maybe our Canadian friends can tell us some other reasons.

This is more or less what I was going to say too...you could even go back to when Y/Shanny were still around--we were pioneers in bringing Russians over with Fedorov and eventually putting together the Russian Five. Then later on, it was (and still is) the Swedes. Probably the five best-known players on our team right now: Lidstrom (SWE), Datsyuk (RUS), Zetterberg (SWE), Hasek (CZE), Chelios (USA). The Wings have probably been less reliant on Canadians than any recently successful team, and maybe any team period. It irks Canadians to no end when it's suggested that there are people from other countries who can play decent hockey too.

The Hockeytown thing bothers them too, I agree (although technically, it's "Hockeytown USA," not sure why they'd have a beef with that).

Old rivalries with the Leafs and Habs.

And people always hate teams that are good every year, it's human nature. We're probably the most hated team in all of hockey right now when you add it up (non Leafs and Habs fans in Canada hate those two more, but the US is completely indifferent to them).

There are 2 teams Canadians hate (my 2 favourite in the NHL). The Wings and Sens.

Ever notice how when ever they(the media and hockey fans) talk about the Flames, Nucks, Oilers, Leafes, and Canadiens, they call them "Canada's team" yet the Sens get bashed by Canadians ??? I don't get it. The Sens and Wings are 2 power house teams, I just don't understand it. :unsure:

It's not just the Canadian Sports Station. The NBC and Versus announcers were hailing Joe Thorton as the second coming of Christ. It doesn't bother me, as long as the Wings are winning.

As a Canadian it bothers me too that the Wings get no respect at all. It does have a lot to do with the constant success of the franchise. Jealousy is an ugly trait. We are just a team that a lot of people love to hate.

They don't like the Hockeytown slogan, especially with the so called attendance problems in the playoffs (I really don't notice it, but they do). Couple that with the fact that the Wings are a primarily European team, with a European captain, and being the prude hockey purists that Canadians are, they don't like the Wings. I really didn't get it for a while, but now I can see why. It's stupid really, but hey, that's their opinion. Let them have it.

Edited by Kp-Wings

It's a total lack of respect.

If most of the predictions had come true, we would have been out in the first round. Few picked us to get past Calgary and even fewer picked us to beat the Sharks.

What cracks me up is when we win, it's not because we might actually have been the better team, it's because the other team made mistakes and let us win. I get so tired of the whole "the Flames/Sharks let the Wings win." No, the Wings were the better team! Just admit it, already!

But you know, I think the more the media types dis the Wings, the stronger they get. So I say, bring it on!!! We'll just do the opposite of what's expected of us, and just keep on winning all the way to Stanley! Then when Nick is hoisting the Cup in June, the media will just have to eat a big, steaming serving of roasted crow!

Edited by Yzermania19

Yes...

:D

yes all these hosers care about is the lame a$$ Toronta Maple Trees

teams like Montreal and Ottawa get ignored...

you should have heard TSN's craig cuthbert announce Sammy's first goal yesterday against SJ, it was with a tone like OH CRAP HE SCORES, like it sucked... then he says it sucked the life out of this electric building. ARE YOU KIDDING CALGARY WAS ELECTRIC, THE JOE WHEN ITS ROCKING IS ELECTRIC, the tank is hardly electric....GOD I HATE WHAT CANADIAN COVERAGE HAS BECOME, and its always pumped through our lousy canadian satellite and they black out the american feed whenever there is a cbc or tsn broadcast of the same game...LAME LAME LAME

someone please get rid of Bob Mackenzie on TSN too, idiot

the only great thing about canadian coverage is that Jeremy Roenick rules commentating in the intermissions on TSN, and hes American LMFAO stupid TSN, the push canadianism on us, then the only good person on the squad is Roenick...looks good on them! Long live the USA.

just like the Cuthbert in the last game saying "ohhh Markov was faking the high sticking, and how dare the linesman call it when the refs didnt. THEN when they saw blood hes like, THANK GOODNESS the linesman made the right call.

GOD!

Canada used to have teh best coverage in the world, now it's the worst ever!

Edited by Wingsor

BOO HOO

give the whining a REST!!!

wahhhhh TSN doesn't like the red wings

WAAAHHH CBC doesn't like the red wings

WAHHHHHHHHHHHHH nbc doesn't like the red wings

Let's just rename the league the Detroit Hockey League while we're at it.

geez.

Guest Tunbo Batman

that was off-topic :P

anyway, basically canada just won't let go of hockey. as other countries become as good or better than them at the sport, they become moe and more sour and homeristic. they can't deal with the fact that hockey doesnt equal canada anymore.

also, french canadians (quebec where i live) appreciate mediocrity much more than they do excellence. we don't want excellence, championships and winners. we want run-of-the-mill generic guys who finish 15th out of 30. its a complex social issue and i dont want to get into it that much, but we basically have a mental illness that forces us to root for the underdog/less talented team. hence people go crazy over squads of talentless losers like edmonton and calgary, but cant figure out why people would like a superior team like the wings.

also, french canadians (quebec where i live) appreciate mediocrity much more than they do excellence. we don't want excellence, championships and winners. we want run-of-the-mill generic guys who finish 15th out of 30.

I've never seen it firsthand, but les Quebecois have a reputation that they'd rather the Habs miss the playoffs with a team entirely made up of people with names containing "Le," "-eur" or "-ault" than win the Cup with a bunch of Euros and those filthy English speakers.

it's not just the TV/radio stations either. I live in Toronto, and everyone hates the Wings. And I mean, hate. Even people that aren't Leaf fans. I never hear anyone talk about any other American hockey team with such disdain.

I'm just glad we don't have to make another series trip to Canada! That would be a whole fnnn trip all to itself. Yeah, the Refs call the games even on the score cards, but reality is that the game is dictated toward the Canadien teams given the calls when they need them momentum wise. Watching the Dallas Stars get wrecked by the refs during the last two games was absolutely rediculous. I literally had my wife in complete agreement on the calls when she asked me why I was yelling at the TV.

Also, when we were playing Calgary in the 5th game, deciding game really, the calls by the end of the 2nd period were something like 11 to 4 against the Wings, and the ******* refs still couldn't save that team! Yeah, when the Canadien announcers portray the losses to Detroit as attributed to ill advised plays or lack of heart, I say get the mush heads back to plowing the fields so we can get fresh greens! :lol:

Go Red Wings!!

I don't believe it's any conspiracy or anything. I mean unless you really follow the team like many of the die-hard fans here, to others (who can't follow the team in the same aspect), it's harder to judge this team. Our team has a bunch of new faces on the roster compared to the last couple of seasons.

I mean what a difference a couple seasons make.

Players Remaining from 2003-04 Roster

Chris Chelios

Mathieu Dandenault

Pavel Datsyuk

Boyd Devereaux

Kris Draper

Jiri Fischer

Dominik Hasek

Derian Hatcher

Tomas Holmstrom

Brett Hull

Curtis Joseph

Robert Lang

Manny Legace

Nicklas Lidstrom

Kirk Maltby

Darren McCarty

Mark Mowers

Jamie Rivers

Mathieu Schneider

Brendan Shanahan

Ray Whitney

Jason Williams

Jason Woolley

Steve Yzerman

Henrik Zetterberg

Edited by aflac9262

I'm just glad we don't have to make another series trip to Canada! That would be a whole fnnn trip all to itself. Yeah, the Refs call the games even on the score cards, but reality is that the game is dictated toward the Canadien teams given the calls when they need them momentum wise. Watching the Dallas Stars get wrecked by the refs during the last two games was absolutely rediculous. I literally had my wife in complete agreement on the calls when she asked me why I was yelling at the TV.

Also, when we were playing Calgary in the 5th game, deciding game really, the calls by the end of the 2nd period were something like 11 to 4 against the Wings, and the ******* refs still couldn't save that team! Yeah, when the Canadien announcers portray the losses to Detroit as attributed to ill advised plays or lack of heart, I say get the mush heads back to plowing the fields so we can get fresh greens! :lol:

Go Red Wings!!

Ottawa is IN Canada, no? Last time I checked they are still in it. I'm actually hoping for a Wings/Sens final.