• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ttbrunke

Who has Opened your Eyes this Playoff Year

Rate this topic

I've pulled a 180 on cleary, before the playoff I would have said he could go. He has shown me a dimension of his game that hasn't been there. If he keeps this personality then he has a place on this team. He's like maltby with better hands and shot.

the guy is playing with pure heart, and it shows with his play. He is never giving up and I think that everyone is feeding off this kind of thing. Homer when he got cut in the Calgary series wanted to keep playing. Everyone is playing with pure heart and emotion and thats what wins in the playoffs.

Yeah, who would have thought, half way through this season that Cleary, Franzen, and Lija would be some of our most effective players in the playoffs!? :blink:

Cleary and Franzen weren't a surprise to me. Cleary scored 20 goals this year and him and Franzen are each very hard workers. Franzen has a lot of offensive upside too. Hard work is a recipe for success in the post-season.

Lilja, on the other hand, has been the unsung hero for the Wings. I can't believe his play. He's come out of nowhere to lead the league in hits. He's been smart and has only taken one penalty through two rounds. Outstanding play from a guy most of us couldn't wait to be rid of.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Yeah, who would have thought, half way through this season that Cleary, Franzen, and Lija would be some of our most effective players in the playoffs!? :blink:

1. Datsyuk-he's doing it all in all 3 zones. Just dancing with the puck in high traffic areas. People say Lidstrom has the best stick in the league. IMO, Datsyuk is hot on his heels and gonna pass him up very shortly. Datsyuk's deft touch along the boards and keen hockey sense pretty much enables him to strip the puck 3, 4, 5 or more times a game from an opponent who just doesn't think as quickly as Pasha. He's been great.

2. Cleary-the drive in his legs is amazing. He's skating and finishing checks like a camp invite trying to earn a contract. Although he's not scoring his defensive play and PKing have been stellar.

3. Franzen-just how good can this guy be if we let him develop some more offensively? He shows flashes of what Malts and Drapes used to due in the late 90's with his scoring knack. Plus, he's been physical.

4. Lilja-he's made a couple of gaffs but for a guy who is the resident whipping boy on the blueline he's been rock solid.

5. Kyle Quincey-he's made a couple of rookie mistakes but for a rookie he's doing a hell of a job filling in the 6 spot with basically no NHL experience under his belt. Big, mobile and makes the safe, easy plays up the boards every time. He's no superstar but a rock solid 4,5,6 man for potentially a long time here.

Worst

1. Calder-not only is he not contributing, he seems to have lost a step and with that he's lost alot of effectiveness. He isn't rattling anyone on the boards and he isn't driving to the net very much. He's playing like a 4th line plugger when he could be 3rd line two-way forward that can score some. It's guys like him we'll need to pot a goal or 2 this series if we want to move on.

2. Lang-as a long time defender, i've pretty much seen all I need to. He's still got great moves in the offensive zone and he protects the puck with his body nearly as good as Bertuzzi does but he's just not getting on the board enough for his ability. He needs to start shooting more and shooting low and getting rebound chances for his linemates. He'd have 3x the assists right now if he'd just shoot and let somebody clean up the trash instead of trying to look for the perfect pass for 8 seconds or more. If only Sammy's trigger finger habit could rub off on Lang. In his defense though, he had the series swinging goal in game 4 and he has played the best defense of his entire career. He's doing a nice job tying up his man in the defensive zone and backchecking (some of the time anyway).

3. Bertuzzi-coming along slowly. Started to show signs of life in the last 2 games. What he needs is a goal to get some more confidence which should give him more push to keep driving to the net hard and get another one, and another one, etc....

4. Hudler-when Calder is playing as poorly as he is and you still can't beat him out of the lineup then you showed you aren't ready to do this NHL thing 82 games a year + playoffs. Make it or break it season for Huds next season IMO.

5. Osgood-just b/c he hasn't played. Okay, so I just ran out of people to list, shoot me. :P

Worst

1. Calder-not only is he not contributing, he seems to have lost a step and with that he's lost alot of effectiveness. He isn't rattling anyone on the boards and he isn't driving to the net very much. He's playing like a 4th line plugger when he could be 3rd line two-way forward that can score some. It's guys like him we'll need to pot a goal or 2 this series if we want to move on.

2. Lang-as a long time defender, i've pretty much seen all I need to. He's still got great moves in the offensive zone and he protects the puck with his body nearly as good as Bertuzzi does but he's just not getting on the board enough for his ability. He needs to start shooting more and shooting low and getting rebound chances for his linemates. He'd have 3x the assists right now if he'd just shoot and let somebody clean up the trash instead of trying to look for the perfect pass for 8 seconds or more. If only Sammy's trigger finger habit could rub off on Lang. In his defense though, he had the series swinging goal in game 4 and he has played the best defense of his entire career. He's doing a nice job tying up his man in the defensive zone and backchecking (some of the time anyway).

3. Bertuzzi-coming along slowly. Started to show signs of life in the last 2 games. What he needs is a goal to get some more confidence which should give him more push to keep driving to the net hard and get another one, and another one, etc....

4. Hudler-when Calder is playing as poorly as he is and you still can't beat him out of the lineup then you showed you aren't ready to do this NHL thing 82 games a year + playoffs. Make it or break it season for Huds next season IMO.

5. Osgood-just b/c he hasn't played. Okay, so I just ran out of people to list, shoot me. :P

Calder has to be hurt. Has to be. And it has to be his wrist. But I agree, he's been a non factor. And IMO Hudler shouldn't be on that list. Unless you had to pick 5 players (see your Osgood comment)

Lilja has most certainly been a suprise. A complete 180.

undefined
But my vote rest on the rookies. Filppula and Quincey have both been solid. :clap:

Cleary has finally made it past the first round. He is determined to do what every it may take to win the cup.

And he's making almost 3mil per??? Sorry, I don't see him sticking around next season.

Guest Crymson

I've pulled a 180 on cleary, before the playoff I would have said he could go. He has shown me a dimension of his game that hasn't been there. If he keeps this personality then he has a place on this team. He's like maltby with better hands and shot.

I do believe Cleary showed it to us earlier in the year, when he kept us afloat in the standings while Z, D and H were struggling individually.

That said, what a guy.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Calder has to be hurt. Has to be. And it has to be his wrist. But I agree, he's been a non factor. And IMO Hudler shouldn't be on that list. Unless you had to pick 5 players (see your Osgood comment)

Well, look at it this way. Let's say Calder is hurt and its his wrist and its hampering his offensive game and making it hard for him to crash into people, which is one of his strengths. If Calder can't score, can't hit much, has just 1 assist in 11 games and is playing hurt and he's still in the lineup over Hudler, that tells me that in the games Hudler got to play he didn't do enough to warrant staying in the lineup. I would've loved to see Huds get a chance to dazzle some this postseason but he's been benched. And seriously, he's been benched in favor of Calder. Who is currently the least effective forward we have. So why shouldn't Huds be on the list I wonder?

Did I not hear at the beginning of the playoffs that Kyle has a broken hand? If that is the case, it might explain a little of the problem.

For me, it's Andreas Lilja. Who would have ever thought he'd come through in the clutch like he has?

And of course, Pasha...I think he's finally put those demons behind him for good. I swear, if I hear one more person rag on him, I'm gonna get a baseball bat and hunt that person down.

Mike Babcock - for turning this team into one filled with a relentless desire to win at all costs. I'm not sure if with any one besides Babcock coaching, the Red Wings are still playing right now. This team truly takes the identity of its coach, showing a ton of heart and determination. I look no further than the man behind the bench as an indicator of the Red Wings success.

Lang saved us from being down 3-1 against the Sharks in the series. Don't care how non productive the guy was prior to that, he shouldn't be listed amongst the 'worst.'

Anyways. Lils has surprised me the most. His play has been fantastic. He's a beast out there as well. LOVE him.

Well, look at it this way. Let's say Calder is hurt and its his wrist and its hampering his offensive game and making it hard for him to crash into people, which is one of his strengths. If Calder can't score, can't hit much, has just 1 assist in 11 games and is playing hurt and he's still in the lineup over Hudler, that tells me that in the games Hudler got to play he didn't do enough to warrant staying in the lineup. I would've loved to see Huds get a chance to dazzle some this postseason but he's been benched. And seriously, he's been benched in favor of Calder. Who is currently the least effective forward we have. So why shouldn't Huds be on the list I wonder?

Yeah, good points.