Photo
- - - - -

Calder

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 07:22 PM

I know this has been brought up previously but I am getting a little concerned about his lack of ice time.
The coaching staff have said there is nothing wrong with him and Kyle has stated that as well. But less
than 5 mins in what was a big game by one of our tradeline signings is telling me all is not what it seem's.
He never even saw the ice in the 3rd, has Babs lost confiedence in him or is that hand being proteceted
and given more rest before fridays game? If Kyle has an injury I would sooner us use a fit Rex until he is
ok to go. I understand giving a rookie less than 5 mins in a big playoff game but its got me puzzled with Calder,
thats now less than 16mins in the last 3 games, Rex was given just under 30 mins in 3 vSJ, maybe we may see
a roster change on Fri?

Edited by Andy Pred 48, 08 May 2007 - 07:27 PM.

"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#2 redwinger4747

redwinger4747

Oh captain, my captain

• PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 07:37 PM

This is one thing that has been very dissappointing, not Calder's play, but his lack of ice time. When Calder is on the ice, he has been his usual self, going into the corners, hustling, working hard. He just hasn't caught any breaks to get a goal. We all saw what he can do in the regular season, so I think the coaches are losing faith in him way too quickly. I think he is worthy of 11-12 min a game and would use the time to get a few more points. Overall, I really like Calder, I have liked him since we got him and want to resign him, but the coaches unwillingness to play him might prevent that, and for that, I am dissapointed.

....#5 is next. Yzerman & Lidstrom = Gods.

#3 FinWing

FinWing

Vaasa red & white

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 07:37 PM

I bet he's injured, otherwise I can't believe he'd be struggling this mightily and playing so little. Maybe the coaching staff thinks he's more effective than Hudler anyway...
Thank You TeeMan

#4 BigTex

BigTex

Texan Wing Fan

• PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 07:41 PM

Calder needs to see the ice more against the ducks especially since they're such a physical team
NOBODY ON THE RED WINGS IS LAZY, NOR DO ANY OF THE WINGS PLAYERS SUCK!!!

(this includes the coaching staff, ownership, scouting department, and JLA employees and their families)

#5 SweWings

SweWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 07:44 PM

It was awful to see him play last night...Something really seems to be throwing him off his game...

#6 Kp-Wings

Kp-Wings

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,844 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 07:46 PM

Calder is lazy and he sucksâ„¢

Just kiddin' guys! tongue.gif

#7 daniel1

daniel1

#40 - UNSTOPPABLE

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 07:49 PM

When he first came he was our best player in several games. After the first couple of games in the Calgary series he hasn't had the same jump and determination on the puck in the corners and around the net. He's also being outplayed by Franzen, Cleary and lately Sammy; meaning that he's behind them in depth and ice time. I did hear a rumour about him having a bad hand, but that shouldn't affect his skating I wouldn't think. If he wants a contract offer from the Wings for next year he needs to step it up and play like he did for the first few games after we acquired him.

I agree though if he is injured then he should sit and Hudler should be in. That last game against the Sharks Bertuzzi was buzzing around the net like a bull in a china shop and Calder got more than a couple close range chances and couldn't bury them. Give Hudler a shot with Bert now that he seems to have his legs back. Huds-Flip-Bert for game 1 against the Quackers please.
"And? If I did, I probably would have been a fighter, so what?"

Who knows; maybe you would realize that enforcers in hockey are critical to a teams chemistry and overall success?

#8 scissorfight

scissorfight

Prospect

• 48 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE(redwinger4747 @ May 8, 2007 - 08:37PM) View Post

This is one thing that has been very dissappointing, not Calder's play, but his lack of ice time. When Calder is on the ice, he has been his usual self, going into the corners, hustling, working hard. He just hasn't caught any breaks to get a goal. We all saw what he can do in the regular season, so I think the coaches are losing faith in him way too quickly. I think he is worthy of 11-12 min a game and would use the time to get a few more points. Overall, I really like Calder, I have liked him since we got him and want to resign him, but the coaches unwillingness to play him might prevent that, and for that, I am dissapointed.

in game 6 he was useless with the puck, he simply fell on his ass every time someone pressured him against the boards, and he took 2 lazy hooking penalties for 4 PIM in 4:50 playing time.

that's his "usual self"? ...thanks, but i'll pass. the only way hudler could do worse than that is if he scored on his own goal.

he's got to still be injured or something...either way, time to sit him. No sense in wasting a spot for 5 minutes of garbage.

#9 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 07:54 PM

QUOTE(scissorfight @ May 8, 2007 - 08:52PM) View Post

he took 2 lazy hooking penalties for 4 PIM in 4:50 playing time.

In his defense, one of those was forced by Cheli's defensive-zone turnover.

The same Chelios I said was flawless in another thread, so scratch that one off and chuck an "almost" in front...
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#10 Cruiser008

Cruiser008

Headed to the Rafters

• Silver Booster
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 01:26 PM

He is playing with a broken hand that he injuried in round 1.

#11 OsGOD

OsGOD

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 9,314 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 01:33 PM

It's grand to know we are already getting set up for this rounds scapegoat the second things go bad wink.gif thumbup.gif

Edited by OsGOD, 09 May 2007 - 01:33 PM.

Just one chance is all i ever wanted...just one time i'd like to win the game...from now on i'll take the chance if i can have it...just one just one

#12 HockeyCrazy3033

HockeyCrazy3033

Hall of Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 17,360 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 06:29 PM

He's definitely injured. I know he's trying to shrug it off like he's not, but it's obvious. The guys is a heck of a hockey player. We saw that from the second he became a Red Wing. Now all of a sudden since Round 1 he hasn't been himself and his ice time has gone down big time. I remember after we beat the Flames he held down his right hand and shook with his left. Think that's says it all!
"I'm a winner. That's all I do". - Chris Osgood -

#13 aflac9262

aflac9262

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 06:38 PM

Well we already know Calder is injured. Didn't MacLean talk about that on CBC a week or two ago?

Off topic, but I forgot where I saw this. Hasek's left hand was all wrapped up in Game 4 or 5 (forgot), like it was aiding an injury. I wonder if he is injured as well?

Edited by aflac9262, 09 May 2007 - 06:39 PM.

#14 Zion

Zion

Hall-of-Famer

• Bronze Booster
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 06:41 PM

Yeah, the Wings are pretty banged up.
Hockeytown - No Limits

#15 HockeyCrazy3033

HockeyCrazy3033

Hall of Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 17,360 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 06:46 PM

QUOTE(aflac9262 @ May 9, 2007 - 07:38PM) View Post
Well we already know Calder is injured. Didn't MacLean talk about that on CBC a week or two ago?

Off topic, but I forgot where I saw this. Hasek's left hand was all wrapped up in Game 4 or 5 (forgot), like it was aiding an injury. I wonder if he is injured as well?

Well he sure isn't playing like something is wrong! lol

That's odd though...back in Game 6 while he was being interviewed I didn't notice anything on his hand.

"I'm a winner. That's all I do". - Chris Osgood -

#16 aflac9262

aflac9262

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 07:03 PM

QUOTE(HockeyCrazy3033 @ May 9, 2007 - 02:46PM) View Post

Well he sure isn't playing like something is wrong! lol

That's odd though...back in Game 6 while he was being interviewed I didn't notice anything on his hand.

For sure.

Yeah me either, and when they did the hand shakes he didn't have it on either. So either it's feeling better or he felt it was affecting his play.

This article does mention it though.

http://calsun.canoe....165446-sun.html

Hasek's left hand is heavily taped, affecting his already unpredictable stick-handling

#17 glasgowcelticwing

glasgowcelticwing

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 07:11 PM

QUOTE(Andy Pred 48 @ May 9, 2007 - 01:22AM) View Post

I know this has been brought up previously but I am getting a little concerned about his lack of ice time.
The coaching staff have said there is nothing wrong with him and Kyle has stated that as well. But less
than 5 mins in what was a big game by one of our tradeline signings is telling me all is not what it seem's.
He never even saw the ice in the 3rd, has Babs lost confiedence in him or is that hand being proteceted
and given more rest before fridays game? If Kyle has an injury I would sooner us use a fit Rex until he is
ok to go. I understand giving a rookie less than 5 mins in a big playoff game but its got me puzzled with Calder,
thats now less than 16mins in the last 3 games, Rex was given just under 30 mins in 3 vSJ, maybe we may see
a roster change on Fri?

I don't understand this either Andy , The guy played pretty well during the regular season. I'm not sure if he's injured or not. do you think he might have upset someone in the coaching staff or something like that ?
^^Thanks Offsides^^
RIP PHIL O'DONNELL,1972-2007.
RIP TOMMY BURNS, 1956-2008 .
you'll never walk alone.

#18 aflac9262

aflac9262

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 07:14 PM

QUOTE(glasgowcelticwing @ May 9, 2007 - 03:11PM) View Post

The guy played pretty well during the regular season. I'm not sure if he's injured or not. do you think he might have upset someone in the coaching staff or something like that ?

Well he is trying to play, but with a broken hand. I wouldn't imagine it's getting any better either.

#19 Winger

Winger

Draftee

• 10 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 07:19 PM

I think he's injured. He was great for us in the regular season, and played good minutes. If the coaching staff was pissed with him I doubt he'd still be on the ice.

They're hiding something from us! It's a conspiracy! ph34r.gif

#20 glasgowcelticwing

glasgowcelticwing

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE(Winger @ May 10, 2007 - 01:19AM) View Post

I think he's injured. He was great for us in the regular season, and played good minutes. If the coaching staff was pissed with him I doubt he'd still be on the ice.

They're hiding something from us! It's a conspiracy! ph34r.gif

Yessssss!!!! Conspiracy. ph34r.gif tongue.gif I read in an earlier post, did he really break his hand ?

I thought it was just a rumour ?
^^Thanks Offsides^^
RIP PHIL O'DONNELL,1972-2007.
RIP TOMMY BURNS, 1956-2008 .
you'll never walk alone.