• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Wing Nut

Why are the Duck fans / press so cocky?

Rate this topic

Anaheim and Los Angeles are very different places. From the people, to the atmosphere, to the attitude... it's a night and day difference.

You'll never meet a more pretensious group of waiters and bartenders than in LA/Longbeach/Newport Beach/Malabu/Anaheim.

A rose is a rose by any other name. ;)

SoCal media is really starting to act like SoCal fans. Cheer for whichever team is doing the best at the current moment and claim they are the greatest ever. Then forget about them when they are mediocre. Out there you become fans of whatver team is winning because its "cool" to do so.

*Note* Yes I know not all SoCal fans are like this. There are some good one but there many more bandwagoners.

First let me say that I agree with your post. But isn't that like everyone being an avid Tigers fan back there now? I mean, you're always a Tigers fan but now they are good so everyone has the flag. Same could be said for the Lions. OK, so maybe we don't admit that we are Lions fans. :crazy: But let the Lions start doing good and the flags will be flying. Most of my friends out here say hockey is soccer on ice, etc... But I do have some friends that are true hockey fans of the Kings and or Ducks. They're hard to find but they are here. Have a great day! :)

Real quick. I'm not saying everyone jumps on the bangwagon only when the team is doing good. But it does happen everywhere. Like a lot of you I've been a fan of Detroit Sports since I was a kid. Through the bad and the good.

Edited by MIN8TV

What have they done? They made it to the conference title series, so did the Wings. They have a good team, so do the Wings. I don't understand the lack of respect the Duck fans and press are showing the Wings. If we are so slow and old why are we still playing while other teams are at home? Did they dominate us in the regular season? I think we split, right? So why now are they sooo much better than the Wings? I don't get it. I think they are very good but I'm not ready to give up. Here is an article from the LA Times.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/hockey/nhl/d...2&cset=true

I haven't read any other posts on this thread but keep in mind that the LA Times is our bandwagon newspaper. The are Kings loving homers and since their team is long gone to the links, they are hopping on the Ducks wagon. They will put the Kings 80th loss of the season on the front of the sports page and the Ducks record breaking season in a small article nect to the discounted asian massage parlor ads.

FYI: The Ducks owned the Sharks in the regular season and Ducks only lost 1-0 to Detroit and 2-1 (1 1/2 hour delay for Yzerman pre-game ceremonies and critical injuries to team...I believe Pronger was out) in regular season. Our two wins over Detroit were convincing.

They don't ask how, they just ask how many.

Some of YOU guys are getting pretty cocky. I'm just as excited that we have ended our playoff woes and beat SJ & CAL, but ANA is a whole new team.

It's gonna be a close series. Calgary & SJ are obviously similiar to Anaheim, but the Ducks are on a new level with more skill & strength. Hopefully we can keep it up by neutralizing it. Gonna be close.

It is what it is. I'm GLAD the Ducks are cocky and overconfident.

I hope they continue to be so.

I feel like I say this a lot, but I doubt that the Anaheim Ducks, the hockey team, are particularly overconfident. What children say on the Internet, or talking heads write in the media, really doesn't have any bearing on how their team will view us.

Regular Season

"The Wings are too old, slow, and soft."

Wings win the West and just miss the Presidents' Trophy by a hair.

Playoffs - First Round

"The Wings are too old, slow, and soft. The Flames are bigger, stronger, younger, and faster."

Wings outhit and outhustle the Flames, win in 6.

Playoffs - Second Round

"The Wings are too old, slow, and soft. The Sharks are the biggest, strongest, youngest, and fastest."

Wings outhit and outhustle the Sharks, win in 6.

Playoffs - Third Round

"The Wings are too old, slow, and soft. The Ducks are bigger, stronger, younger, and faster."

Wings outhit and outhustle the Ducks, win in 6. ;)

Some of YOU guys are getting pretty cocky. I'm just as excited that we have ended our playoff woes and beat SJ & CAL, but ANA is a whole new team.

It's gonna be a close series. Calgary & SJ are obviously similiar to Anaheim, but the Ducks are on a new level with more skill & strength. Hopefully we can keep it up by neutralizing it. Gonna be close.

I'm not saying we are going to walk all over them. I just want some respect for a great franchise. I think we would be over achieving if we win this series. That being said GO WINGS!!!!!!!

Guest GordieSid&Ted

What have they done? They made it to the conference title series, so did the Wings. They have a good team, so do the Wings. I don't understand the lack of respect the Duck fans and press are showing the Wings. If we are so slow and old why are we still playing while other teams are at home? Did they dominate us in the regular season? I think we split, right? So why now are they sooo much better than the Wings? I don't get it. I think they are very good but I'm not ready to give up. Here is an article from the LA Times.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/hockey/nhl/d...2&cset=true

The only thing that matters is the games themselves. Forget about the fans in LA. We have Wings fans right here who can't agree on how difficult we think the series is going to be.

It is fun though to read some of the things people say to themselves and everyone else to convince themselves they know what the outcome will or should be.

For instance people say they've heard all the talk about our opponents being younger, faster, bigger and stronger and they scoff at that b/c we beat San Jose. These people forget that when we lost to Anaheim, Calgary and Edmonton it was all those very things that helped to do us in. How easily we discredit the next opponent when we win a series.

Or the people who downgrade Giggy's play or whine about his pads or say he isn't that good. This is the same guy who shut the door in our faces in 2003 and the same guy who leads all playoff goalies in GAA and save%.

Or the people who say that we're tougher b/c we've played some tough series and the Ducks won't be prepared b/c they haven't faced any adversity. Well, the flip side of that coin is maybe they haven't faced any adversity b/c they friggin steamrolled right over their 1st two opponents and they are in fact freaking good and playing unreal hockey right now.

It just goes to show that no matter what anyone thinks, including what you personally think really matters at all. If something helps you sleep at night or gets you pumped up then great. But the games still have to be played and the reality is we have some key injured personnel, we've played more hockey with an older club and we're riding alot of minutes on Lidstrom's shoulders. The Ducks haven't played in how long? That can be a game 1 curse of course, but in a 7 game series its no wonder the press is favoring the Ducks. They're younger, healthier and haven't played as much tough hockey as we have. We're older, a bit banged up and have played 2 very hard fought series. When does the gas tank run dry I wonder?

This is gong to be such a tough series I don't think some people are going to really be prepared for what they might see happen. Personally, I wouldn't be terribly shocked to see us win this thing in 7 games. On the flip side, I also wouldn't be terribly stunned to see us lose in 5. No way to predict these things accurately, especially the deeper you get into the playoffs.

I just hope we haven't spent ourselves and Nick playing 2 very tough series. If somebody has watched the Ducks and can tell me if their series were hard fought then that would ease my mind a bit but seems to me they breezed through their 2 round matchups.

PS. I'm pretty sure they played just one game less than us but our games were very tough and they've had more rest than us and are younger is a big point i'm trying to make.

FYI: Ducks only lost 1-0 to Detroit and 2-1 (1 1/2 hour delay for Yzerman pre-game ceremonies and critical injuries to team...I believe Pronger was out) in regular season. Our two wins over Detroit were convincing.

Well one was 4-1... the other was 3-2 with an empty netter making it 4-2.

Sharks owned us in the regular season... they are golfing while we march on. Regular season stats means jack to the post season, save the seeding. That 4-1 win, wasn't against the same team we have now either.

they have a good team and good reasons to be cocky and I expect no less from their press. It's their job to sell the game and it's only going be good for hockey if people get more interested in this sport

as for some of the fans I've seen here... well some of them lack common sense IMO. They gotta remember this is Red Wings forum filled with enthusiastic Wings fans. We do try to be a good host but when someone comes in and babble how their team is going to steamroll all over us, what do they expect?

respect is earned not given, and I think that Wings certainly have done enough in past seasons to merit 'some' respect. We will see what Ducks are really made of soon and if they indeed deserve respect from us.

I'm looking forward to this series. Friday can't come soon enough

Edited by Yemack

I think the media is confident in the ducks because they're slow to catch onto trends. Until the bitter end Versus was pimping Joe Thornton and San Jose's offense. I think they still haven't caught onto the fact that the Red Wings's physical play could be a problem for Anaheim too.

The fans are confident for the same reason we are. They've seen their team succeed and have no reason to assume the same thing won't happen in the next round.

Guest GodofHockeyStevieY19

Oh dont you know already?? They have made western conference finals 3 of 4 years. HAHA! I love it. I love how that is the most they can brag about. We'll stick to talking about Stanley Cups. They can continue talking about WCFs. What a joke.

The only thing that matters is the games themselves. Forget about the fans in LA. We have Wings fans right here who can't agree on how difficult we think the series is going to be.

It is fun though to read some of the things people say to themselves and everyone else to convince themselves they know what the outcome will or should be.

For instance people say they've heard all the talk about our opponents being younger, faster, bigger and stronger and they scoff at that b/c we beat San Jose. These people forget that when we lost to Anaheim, Calgary and Edmonton it was all those very things that helped to do us in. How easily we discredit the next opponent when we win a series.

Or the people who downgrade Giggy's play or whine about his pads or say he isn't that good. This is the same guy who shut the door in our faces in 2003 and the same guy who leads all playoff goalies in GAA and save%.

Or the people who say that we're tougher b/c we've played some tough series and the Ducks won't be prepared b/c they haven't faced any adversity. Well, the flip side of that coin is maybe they haven't faced any adversity b/c they friggin steamrolled right over their 1st two opponents and they are in fact freaking good and playing unreal hockey right now.

It just goes to show that no matter what anyone thinks, including what you personally think really matters at all. If something helps you sleep at night or gets you pumped up then great. But the games still have to be played and the reality is we have some key injured personnel, we've played more hockey with an older club and we're riding alot of minutes on Lidstrom's shoulders. The Ducks haven't played in how long? That can be a game 1 curse of course, but in a 7 game series its no wonder the press is favoring the Ducks. They're younger, healthier and haven't played as much tough hockey as we have. We're older, a bit banged up and have played 2 very hard fought series. When does the gas tank run dry I wonder?

This is gong to be such a tough series I don't think some people are going to really be prepared for what they might see happen. Personally, I wouldn't be terribly shocked to see us win this thing in 7 games. On the flip side, I also wouldn't be terribly stunned to see us lose in 5. No way to predict these things accurately, especially the deeper you get into the playoffs.

I just hope we haven't spent ourselves and Nick playing 2 very tough series. If somebody has watched the Ducks and can tell me if their series were hard fought then that would ease my mind a bit but seems to me they breezed through their 2 round matchups.

PS. I'm pretty sure they played just one game less than us but our games were very tough and they've had more rest than us and are younger is a big point i'm trying to make.

I'm not saying we are going to kick their asses, I'm not even saying that we will win. I just hate the lack of respect given to the Wings. Why can't we just say you have a good team we have a good team let's play. I don't want to hear about how we are to old too slow. That had nothing to do with why we have failed in the recent past. It was poor execution, lack of hustle, and being out muscled. I think this team although many faces are the same has a chip on its shoulder and they are finally playing as a team. They are standing up for each other. Did you see Homer slam that dude who was ontop of Zetterberg? I've seen Lilja frop the gloves to defend one of his teamates. It reminds me of McCarty beat up Lemiux and they had that big brawl. They had their struggles and after that the started playing as a team, and went on to the cup.

I think the media is confident in the ducks because they're slow to catch onto trends. Until the bitter end Versus was pimping Joe Thornton and San Jose's offense. I think they still haven't caught onto the fact that the Red Wings's physical play could be a problem for Anaheim too.

The fans are confident for the same reason we are. They've seen their team succeed and have no reason to assume the same thing won't happen in the next round.

I'm sure it's something that they considered. The thing is... Anaheim is a team that thrives on the physical game. They have, all season long. The opinion of most analysts is that when you try to beat Anaheim physically it only benefits them. This is what they say. It's not what I'm saying. I will say that you would be hard-pressed to find a more physical team in the regular season than Anaheim.

I see a lot of you talking about Anaheim fans, and press, saying the same thing as Calgary and San Jose. Did it ever occur to you that similar (albeit different) things were said about Anaheim by Vancouver and Minnesota? They thought their goaltending was better. They thought they could handle the physical edge of Anaheim, and even give it back to them. They thought they could expose their 3rd line defensemen. They said that they were being underrated, and were much better than the press was suggesting. Does any of this sound familiar?

I don't like making predictions. I hope this is a really good series, and that my team shows up for it. The most disappointing losses are the ones in which you really genuinely think you could have won, except that your boys didn't show up.

The Calgary and San Jose media was the same way. The difference is that the Flames and Sharks had decent fans, while the Ducks fans that have came here in the last few days have been nothing but ******* pricks.

You can't even have a logical discussion with these people. They come on here and bring up the same old cliches about the Wings, and are total dicks in the process. Instead of actually discussing anything about the series at hand and give the Wings any chance at all, or at least just be decent about it in general, all they do is come on and say DUKS IN FIVE5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!!!!!!1111

But yet, my comments will fall on deaf ears once again, and the Ducks fans will continue to be dickheads like they are now.

edited for grammar

i have yet to be rude or disrespectful so lets talk hockey...

Can I be the voice of reason for Ducks fans without being bashed? For starters, not ALL Ducks fans are like what you are describing, and we act all 'cocky' or whatever because this is how you treat us. We get told all the time how stupid we are and how we know nothing of hockey just because we live in SoCal. I was born in San Diego and have lived in SoCal for 9 of my 16 years of existence, and there are things that I have corrected Mr. Jay Feaster (Lightning GM) on about hockey. It doesn't matter where you're from.

In SoCal, it's hot (duh) so hockey doesn't get much love. The rinks are hard to come by and the ice is usually very crappy, plus the cost is outrageous. I know this because I played hockey in SoCal, and all I could get into was roller.

Let me make another point. The Los Angeles Times covers the LA KINGS during the regular season. They don't know crap about hockey. Read the OC Register if you want the real deal on the Ducks. LA and Anaheim are COMPLETELY different. Orange County - LA County. Not the same at all. It has nothing to do with Hollywood, so don't go there :rolleyes:

You will not find me on this board making predictions of any sort, because I think that's stupid. I wouldn't be suprised if this series goes to 6 or 7 games. Do I think Anaheim has the upperhand? Yes. Do I think they'll demolish Detroit? Heavens no. Anaheim is MUCH more physical than SJ. You can't really compare us to them. They're big, but they don't use their bodies as much as we do. Anaheim can play any type of game, but I don't think that we're going to murder the Wings like we did in '03.

Let's drop the stereotyping on both sides and admit that each side has bandwagoners and true fans. It doesn't matter where you're from, it matters if you're a fan of the sport.

And I can assure you, NO ONE in LA is rooting for Anaheim, neither anyone in SJ. It's a race between the three teams to see who gets the first cup in California. Anaheim is on their own in Cali, trust me.

I hope that extinguishes some of the fire and clears a few things up, because not ALL Ducks fans are cocky jerks, in fact, most aren't. And not all Wings fans are the jerks who sat behind me during my first ever hockey game cussing and throwing stuff at me. Let's hope for a good, clean series ;)

Go Ducks!

I hope that extinguishes some of the fire and clears a few things up, because not ALL Ducks fans are cocky jerks, in fact, most aren't. And not all Wings fans are the jerks who sat behind me during my first ever hockey game cussing and throwing stuff at me. Let's hope for a good, clean series ;)

Go Ducks!

well said, couldnt have said it any better myself

Ducks in FIVE. I thought that San Jose would get by the Wings but they stunk up the place. I was very unimpressed with both the Sharks and the Wings. Wings will have to play much better than they did in the San Jose series to get by the Ducks. Ducks are younger, faster, more physical and deeper. When they play 3 solid periods they can't be beat. I truly believe that your team is in for a shock. May the best team win!

FYI: The Ducks owned the Sharks in the regular season and Ducks only lost 1-0 to Detroit and 2-1 (1 1/2 hour delay for Yzerman pre-game ceremonies and critical injuries to team...I believe Pronger was out) in regular season. Our two wins over Detroit were convincing.

I'm warning you...the Ducks are very good and most hockey experts have them beating the Wings. Just don't put too much stock in the San Jose series...they blew it and Detroit looked flat much of that series. Wings will have to step it up to have a chance.

So the only reason the wings are in the wcf are because they played "mediocre" teams? Ok sure... And the teams the Ducks played were good? Right?

I dont think so. The teams we played to get to the WCF are more of a chalenge than the teams you played. And dont give me any of that "My team is younger, bigger, and faster" bulls***.

You'll never meet a more pretensious group of waiters and bartenders than in LA/Longbeach/Newport Beach/Malabu/Anaheim.

A rose is a rose by any other name. ;)

my, my, my... that's an awfully big brush you have there.

28 game sellout streak, talk to me when that streak gets closer to a decade.

Guess you're not counting the post season in that 'decade' figure????

According to my sources, Detroit has yet to have capacity crowds for this post season.

And what exactly is it that we SoCal fans act like? You seem to know, so I'd like to know how it is that I act.

I have no idea how you act. But, the media, as far as I can tell, acts much like the stereotypical SoCal sports fan.

Are you the stereotypical So Cal sports fan?