• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BringHomeTheCup!

Smyth or Bertuzzi?

Rate this topic

I would be surprised if Smyth went anywhere but back to Edmonton. Only becuase the way he carried on when he left. He either really loves it there or he should be the headliner in the next sappy romantic movie.

I love Bert. Always did. Well besides when he beat up on Cheli! I was stoaked about him coming here. I think every game he gets a little bit better. I agree he wll definitly be cheaper then Smyth. Smyth is kind of a girl! LOL.

According to Eklund's Rumor chart we have an interest in Shanny, Nylander, Backstrom, and Fedotenko.

Ofcourse I would love to see Shanny come back and definitly am interested in Feds, he is cheap and good.

Smth did love Edmonton, and he got burnt, badly. He won't be back there. No way.

Shanny is trying to decide between retirement and the Rangers, he won't be back, and I don't want him back. I think he would cut into Huds and Flips ice time too much.

I cringe at the thought of signing Backstrom. He hasn't proven anything that Jim Carey, or Kevin Hudson hasn't. Nylander IMO would be too expensive for Detroit, and Fedotenko I just don't see much of a positive side. He is regularly a - and his best season he had 39 points. We have guys who fill that role, that aren't as expensive.

Another good rumor site is Spectors, it's pretty accurate on a lot of things.

This is a good question; I would be happy with either one but for different reasons.

Smyth - he's never won a cup and would be super-duper motivated if he felt like he had a realistic shot at winning one. Nobody would play harder than him in the playoffs. He defines heart and from all account, his teamates and coaches absolutely love the guy. He would become an instant fan favorite and adopt Detroit as his own; his community involvement and charity work is well documented. He brings effort, team-first attitude, and front-net play.

Bertuzzi - he's the snarl we have lacked since Shanny left. Afraid of no one and miserable to play against when he wants to be. His effort and attitude can be a question mark at times (quoted from former coaches he's had) but his overall skill set is higher than that of Smyth and he's way more comfortable carrying the puck and making plays than Smyth ever will be. He brings intimidation, checking, more offensive capability and toughness.

This is such a tough question because we really don't know to what level Bert will return to form. If he can play as he did pre-Mooregate, then he's my choice, even with his inconsistency as noted by former coaches. The cost factors into the equation nowadays too. By signing Smyth we might be hindering our ability to sign a top-flight D-man or goalie (depending on Hasek). I think Bert will be cheaper, but I wouldn't be giving him any "7 year deals".

I would sign Bert at no more than 3mil/yr for no more than 2yrs and a team option year. Conditional on his playing "X" number of games each year (if it's a back injury) which would reduce the length of the contract to 1yr if those "X" number of games are not reached. He may want a shorter deal anyways to re-establish himself and be eligible for free agency sooner.

He already knows the players, coaches and system here and I believe Detroit fans and media have done a good job of making him feel welcome. Given that, and his less than "popular" status with other teams and fans in the leage right now I think we have a better chance of signing him than anyone else does. I'm not too worried about the pick, we seem to do ok with the later round picks anyways.

Edited by daniel1

Smth did love Edmonton, and he got burnt, badly. He won't be back there. No way.

Shanny is trying to decide between retirement and the Rangers, he won't be back, and I don't want him back. I think he would cut into Huds and Flips ice time too much.

I cringe at the thought of signing Backstrom. He hasn't proven anything that Jim Carey, or Kevin Hudson hasn't. Nylander IMO would be too expensive for Detroit, and Fedotenko I just don't see much of a positive side. He is regularly a - and his best season he had 39 points. We have guys who fill that role, that aren't as expensive.

I agree with backstrom. I do like Fedotenko. I love shanny but your probably right we don't really need him anymore.

I don't really want a new goaltender. Bring up Howie. It is time.

Thanks for the site. I love the rumor's! :D

According to Eklund's Rumor chart we have an interest in Shanny, Nylander, Backstrom, and Fedotenko.

thats cool....so we now KNOW that we can RULE OUT getting Shanny, Nylander, Backstrom, and Fedotenko. :thumbup:

brutus

The more I think about this, the more I like Smyth on our team. He is a blue collar guy. Someone our fans are already familiar with. He plays the game the same way Stevie did, with heart, soul, passion, love for it, respect for it, %110 every night. With guys like Briere, Drury, Gomez, Giggy, and Shanny UFA's I think we have a legit shot. Smyth would have a chance at a Cup here, not many teams with enough cap space to sign Smyth can say that.

BHTC,

That is a great site. A bit more in depth and a little faster the Ecks. My I rode that dudes butt since Feburary!

Thanks ;)

BHTC,

That is a great site. A bit more in depth and a little faster the Ecks. My I rode that dudes butt since Feburary!

Thanks ;)

That site is pretty sweet, my buddy told me about it a few years ago. It's nice because he covers all the major canadian papers and such. Like I said, he is pretty accurate too.

I'd take Bert over Smyth any day..its true Smyth is a class act and very skilled but so is Bertuzzi. But Bert adds the one thing we sorely need in Detroit and its the ability to strike fear into the hearts of our opponents. Smyth is gritty but when Berts out there, every guy on the ice has they're eye on him to make sure they aren't knocked into the parking lot. Bert hasn't played much but damn was he amazing with Vancouver when he was healthy. Keep Bert, he'll be cheaper then Smyth too.

This is the first time I've heard Eklunds name mentioned on this Forum since Feb 27. :D I used to read his rumour's all the time but I actually forgot all about him.

I don't know how I managed that. :lol:

I'd take Bert over Smyth any day..its true Smyth is a class act and very skilled but so is Bertuzzi. But Bert adds the one thing we sorely need in Detroit and its the ability to strike fear into the hearts of our opponents. Smyth is gritty but when Berts out there, every guy on the ice has they're eye on him to make sure they aren't knocked into the parking lot. Bert hasn't played much but damn was he amazing with Vancouver when he was healthy. Keep Bert, he'll be cheaper then Smyth too.

True, but remember his back is a huge issue. How much longer can he play that physcial style? And also, we have guys who hit, Malts, Franzen, Cleary, Homer, I know none of those guys have the physcial presence that Bert brings, but insert Smyth, and every line has a tough grid it out guy.

The possible potential of Bert, coupled with the fact that we could give him an incentive based contract and a chance to compete in for a championship, seems like Bert is a better choice. Smyth is going to want $5.5 Million or more a season... not sure we can commit that to him. We'll need to fill some holes next year... Lang and others will be bye-bye.

I think that we need to wait untill after the playoffs to make any kind of call on this one.

Right now i would take Smyth but then again Bert may come through in the end.

I agree , IF Bert can get back to the way he was playing a couple of year's ago, the guy would be an absolute monster of a Power forward for the Wings, they've been missing one of those for a while.

I agree , IF Bert can get back to the way he was playing a couple of year's ago, the guy would be an absolute monster of a Power forward for the Wings, they've been missing one of those for a while.

That is a big if, Bert is getting better and better with each game he plays. But there will come a point where he won't get better. With Smyth you know exactly what you get, and I think he brings more intagables than Bert. I don't know if we could fit him in, but I'm sure Kenny will look at it long and hard.

Ha ha.

Red Wing Fan #1: Bert or Smyth?

Red Wing Fan #2: Luongo?

Red Wing Fan #1: No...Bert or Smyth...

Red Wing Fan #2: Bert...no doubt

--1 year later--

Red Wing Fan #2: Smyth...no doubt

--1 year later--

Red Wing Fan #2: Maybe we can get Robert Lang back???