• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

WingNutt

IIHF 2007 World Championship UPDATE

Rate this topic

Team Russia Advances over the Czech Republic with a 4-0 win.

Markov, Radulov, and Malkin with 2 goals.

Team Sweden is set to play team Slovakia today. 12:15 pm eastern.

and tommmorow team Canada will play team Switzerland

along with team USA playing team Finland.

all the winners will advance to the semi-final games to be played Saturday.

I'll update more later.

just an update

sweden > slovakia 7-4 great game!

i have to say that i'm very impressed by sweden this year. on the paper they have the weakest team in many years. only ONE player from the NHL (alexander steen from maple leafs). they have alot of young (very promising) players from swedish elite league who make their worlds debut. i think some of them will be huge in the nhl in the future. especially Nicklas Bäckström © & Anton StrÃ¥lman (D) , 20 years old and just amazing players.

I think russia will win this year tho (vs sweden in finals), they have a scary lineup!! (ovechkin, malkin, frolov, kovalchuck, markov, morozov....)

edit:

semifinals : sweden vs winner of canada/schweiz (should be canada if not an huge upset..)

and russia vs winner of finland/usa (i would put my money on finland but this is a tough one, can go either way)

Edited by hak

Yeah, Sweden are playing great as a team but their goaltending hasn't impressed. Their keeper has to step it up against Canada or they're done.

Hoping for a good game tomorrow between Finland and USA! Go Finns! :clap:

yeah.. backlund played a very bad game today. it confuses me because he played GREAT vs the fins a couple of days ago (shutout)

im also hoping for a great game fin vs usa cheers!

i have to say that i'm very impressed by sweden this year. on the paper they have the weakest team in many years. only ONE player from the NHL (alexander steen from maple leafs).

Kenny Jonnson(sp), their captain, is an ex NHL-er as far as I remember. so that would be 2 :)

semifinals : sweden vs winner of canada/schweiz (should be canada if not an huge upset..)

and russia vs winner of finland/usa (i would put my money on finland but this is a tough one, can go either way)

that would be canada and finland in my book :)

Guest GodofHockeyStevieY19

I really wish Versus or someone would televise all these game. I mean I know the NHL playoffs are going on and all, but man I love international hockey so much. Not as much as the NHL playoffs of course, but it would be nice to watch it all.

Yep, that's correct. 10 year NHL player with the Leafs and Islanders.

yeah well , i didnt count ex nhlers :blush: if we count ex nhlers , i think sweden has about hmm 5 of em in their troup. jonathan hedström, kenny jönsson, jörgen jönsson, hmm im sure there are some more..

Kenny and Jörgen alone, nevermind their NHL stints, bring a lot of international ice experience to the team.

and frankly, I like it when Swedes go with team guys rather than looking for big names. they have proven international ice performers in Jönssons (I'd love to see Sundin there, though) and a couple of good youth (like Warg who, if I'm not mistaken isn't with Team Sweden for the first time). Czechs used this kind of mixture for some years and by that time they were plowing one gold medal after another in international tournaments. Team Sweden seems to be going in this direction, too, and I believe they're not shorter on talent than Czechs were.

Go Sweden!

sorry for english here, but I've no idea how'd it be in swedish. had once a chance to start Swedish language lessons, but the teacher was supposedly more homo than hetero. I skipped it

Edited by akustyk

Go Sweden!

sorry for english here, but I've no idea how'd it be in swedish. had once a chance to start Swedish language lessons, but the teacher was supposedly more homo than hetero. I skipped it

It's "Kom igen, Sverige!" :cool:

Yep, that's correct. 10 year NHL player with the Leafs and Islanders.

Yeah...He was also won Best Defenceman during the Olympics...Ahead of, among others, Lidström... :crazy:

yeah.. backlund played a very bad game today. it confuses me because he played GREAT vs the fins a couple of days ago (shutout)

im also hoping for a great game fin vs usa cheers!

Well, it's not the first time that a no-name Swedish goalie plays out of his mind against Finland and falls flat on his face the next game, damnit... :angry::P

FIN-USA should be a great game, hopefully our boys will crash the net some more and find their scoring, it has proven difficult so far.

GO CANADA , I hope Rollie starts tommorow.

Swieterland shouldnt be a huge challenge if we get a good team effort

The Swiss are not to be taken lightly and their goalie is pretty good, but if Canada has the proper attitude and hustle they should have no problems beating them. We'll see in about an hour!

Edited by FinWing

Meanwhile, Morozov is about to be signed by DRW. Something around 3M. Sources: Yzerman saying that they are in negotiations for a while, and Morozov saying "let's wait and we'll see". You know what it usually means.

I'd love to see Morozov back in North America, especially in Red & White; but I just read that he signed a 3-year contract with his club and he seems pretty content on that side of the pond.

'd love to see Morozov back in North America, especially in Red & White; but I just read that he signed a 3-year contract with his club and he seems pretty content on that side of the pond.

All of this stuff was personal communications between some russian DRW fans and Yzerman (GM of team Canada) and Morozov before, during, after games. Not so creditable cources but I believe better than Eklund.