• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

zetterbergfuturemvp

Is re-signing Maltby 3-yrs a BIG MISTAKE?

Rate this topic

I know where you are coming from because I am worried about our prospects as well.. I don't expect much of a change in our roster next year and would love to get a little more toughness up front, but at the same time it's true... he is about as valuable as they come for less than a mill. His contributions to the team are HUGE even with limited ice time and scoring opportunities... As for Helm/Abdelkader they are unlikely to make the jump right into the NHL and in a few years who knows what kind of roster openings we might have

A Maltby that you can count on to be a gamer day in and day out is worth 3 up and comers that may or may not be able to play at this level.

Abelkader needs some time in the AHL to tune his game. Grigorenko is an X factor. He's signed, but what kind of a game will he bring to the NHL? Kindl hasn't played one game at this level yet and Hudler is at best, a defensive liability (not knocking him, but it is a fact). Kopecky has what... 15 games or something like that?

None of these guys bring the kind of veteran experience that Malts has. Now he has 3, hopefully 4 Stanley Cup championships + all those years of working his arse off for the team.

You can not get rid of that kind of heart for the unknowns. The new guys will get their shot. Remember that hockey is a violent sport and people get hurt. They can show what they are made of when they get that chance (See Flip and Quincey this year for examples). I don't know why some fans keep screaming that we are too old, especially with all of the success that we have had. The formula works, man. Don't go messing it up. Remember New Coke? You probably don't, but you may want to Google it some time to see what a change of formula can do to bring a winning franchise down.

One more thing. Please...learn...that...this...is...hard...to...read.

Yeah - I dont think we should ahve gave him 3 years(or even Homer for that matter)... Long term contracts like this for 34 year olds isnt very bright.

Couple of honest questions to those of you that think signing Maltby is a bad idea.

1. Would you want the Wings to play againts Maltby?

2. Did you know that players can retire even with a couple of years left on their contract? (I know what a shocker :rolleyes: )

3. Why would you not want Maltby playing for the Wings till he Retires?

I have said this many times on this board and I am going to say it again. Some of you on this board need to learn the sport of Hockey and stop making stuped comments. <_<

Edited by Red4wings4life

It's good to have such a veteran around at a discount price. I personally didn't like him that much during this regular season but in the playoffs he's been valuable once again. The Wings aren't risking anything with this kind of deal.

Isn't it nice to have so many good players that it's a challenge to find a roster spot for "development" players? Of course, I'm probably a bit biased since Maltby is my favorite Wing.

Seems to me the contract was a fair compromise. The Wings got an excellent price and Malts probably got a year more than would have been ideal for the team.

STABILITY is what he represents & what he brings to this team. As mentioned already he is very effective & responcible & easily fits the budget, which will allow us to throw money at Dats, Zetts & maybe even Bertuzzi.

The prospects can wait for there chance coming from the enevitale injuries that we will incur next season OR prove to the coaches that the old guy is the healthy scratch by out playing them.

Which of those prospects do you think can steal Malts job ?

great signing. Championship teams are made by staying the course, not trying a new mix every season seeing what happens.

Think it's great. We need role players like Malt's. Not every line can be a scoring line. I thought it was a big mistake when they let McCarty go. We haven't done anything since. We need that toughness, heart, and defense.

Amazingly, Malts seems to be one of the most polarizing players on the Wings. I don't know if I've found anyone who is indifferent toward him. People either seem to love him or hate him. At any rate, I don't think the concept of re-signing him for three years is bad. I haven't heard exactly how much they're paying him--that would be the ultimate deciding factor.

Edit: I just saw on the Detroit News that it's three years/$2.65 million. $883K/per. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Edited by A.T.Hun

This has been mentioned, but I feel should be reiterated. Having a guy like Maltby, or Cheli, or Drapes in the locker room this time of year is a tremendous asset to the younger players. I think Holland puts a lot of stake into the locker room chemistry of his team.