• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
russianswede919293

Selanne...Selanne...ZETTERBERG

Rate this topic

Everyone is saying Selanne is a huge deal and there has been little talk of how important Z is to us.

Selanne played all 82 games and had 48 G 46 A 94 Pts +26

If you average out Z's stats to be a full 82 game season without injury he has 43 G 46 A 89 Pts, assume he had a +26 that he had at time of injury.

They have comperable offensive stats and I think Hank is the better defensive forward, so I don't understand why the critics are all saying Anaheim is so favored over us and citing Selanne

He would have had far more than 89 points, IMO.

He was averaging 2 points per game before he got injured.

I agree I took his goals divided by 63 games played and multiplied by 82, same with assists, he would have had a better +/- then +26 too but I was doing things the unspeculative way

This isn't the Wings in general it is strictly a Selanne versus Zetterberg topic

Oh really? Comments like "Everyone is saying Selanne is a huge deal and there has been little talk of how important Z is to us."

and

"so I don't understand why the critics are all saying Anaheim is so favored over us and citing Selanne."

sure make it look like another "why isn't everyone picking the Wings" topic, which quite frankly, there are more than enough of.

Oh really? Comments like "Everyone is saying Selanne is a huge deal and there has been little talk of how important Z is to us."

and

"so I don't understand why the critics are all saying Anaheim is so favored over us and citing Selanne."

sure make it look like another "why isn't everyone picking the Wings" topic, which quite frankly, there are more than enough of.

It is more about how I feel that Zetterberg is a bigger influece then Selanne, and if I didn't make that clear in the first post im clarifying it now. Trying to specifically talk about comparing only these 2 players would get lost in the other topics, and I just wanted to see how other people felt Z compares to Selanne, if you don't think it is a valid enough to warrent its own thread just don't reply, or if you want to even merge it into another one, I just wanted to talk specifics on these 2 players.

Selanne is a proven commodity who knows how to get the job done and consistently finds a way to do so (not counting his stint with the Avs). Hank has been, at least to the casual observer, quiet this postseason, and he's not at 100% because of his injury. Also, you have to consider marketing: Every team needs a flagship forward that the major networks can bandy about, and, like it or not, our guy is Dats.

Edited by Dabura

I don't know an abundance about the Wings, but I think I've got a grasp on the fact that Datsyuk is more of a big name than Zetterberg for this team, or am I wrong? Teemu is a huge influence on the Ducks. I remember one time we were down by 3 goals after two periods and he said a few things to the team and we came back out and won 5-4 in OT. He's highly valued for the Ducks and he's going to be the first Duck to have his sweater put up in the rafters, deservingly so.

Zetterberg is a very talented player, but due to his injuries and 'quiet-ness' in the playoffs, he's going to be ignored somewhat. It's the way it goes.

If I'm wrong about my assessment of Dats and Z, then I apologize. I guess I got the two confused....

and

If you don't like the topict then don't post in it. Seriously I get a laugh out of the people who reply to topics that they don't feel are "worthy" of replying to. You remind me of the fat kid at the ice cream stand who says there are too many ice cream stands... and then orders up a double scoop.

I think Selanne is a better pure scorer than Z, but nowhere near the defensive presence that Z is. Zetterberg is almost like having a third defensman on the shift sometimes. I don't think he's back to 100% yet though. I'm waiting to see one of those shifts where he just won't be denied a goal. He was having those regularly until he got injured.

Everyone is saying Selanne is a huge deal and there has been little talk of how important Z is to us.

Selanne played all 82 games and had 48 G 46 A 94 Pts +26

If you average out Z's stats to be a full 82 game season without injury he has 43 G 46 A 89 Pts, assume he had a +26 that he had at time of injury.

They have comperable offensive stats and I think Hank is the better defensive forward, so I don't understand why the critics are all saying Anaheim is so favored over us and citing Selanne

I think judging by your projected stats its pretty much a wash so of course you're gonna take Zetterberg being that hes a wing. Teemu has been very successful since his knee surgery and has his step back and seems hellbent on winning a cup. Zetterberg is surely a force also and if healthy matches up very nice with selanne,but i think by projecting the stats you ruined your argument for zetterberg in a sense because his overall stats didn't exceed Selannes. I'd love em both on the same line,git er done Burke!!

Guest Crymson

I don't know an abundance about the Wings, but I think I've got a grasp on the fact that Datsyuk is more of a big name than Zetterberg for this team, or am I wrong? Teemu is a huge influence on the Ducks. I remember one time we were down by 3 goals after two periods and he said a few things to the team and we came back out and won 5-4 in OT. He's highly valued for the Ducks and he's going to be the first Duck to have his sweater put up in the rafters, deservingly so.

Zetterberg is a very talented player, but due to his injuries and 'quiet-ness' in the playoffs, he's going to be ignored somewhat. It's the way it goes.

If I'm wrong about my assessment of Dats and Z, then I apologize. I guess I got the two confused....

Believe me when I say that Zetterberg, at the time he got knocked out by injury, was possibly on his way to the Richard Trophy, and he certainly would have been a lock for the Selke.

He became monstrous after being teamed with Datsyuk and Holmstrom. The guy was first star for the month of February.

Better than a lot of folks that have been here a while :P Zetterberg's contract endears him to Wings fans-- talk about bang for your buck! Some will try to sell on how Hank is a better two-way player but they are really splitting hairs. Some of the moves Selanne pulled on Vancouver dropped my jaw...the same Pavel way does... This is gonna be some series.

I love Zetterberg and all. But Selanne is one of the best forwards to ever play the game. 76 goals in a season. pretty sure Hank ahsent done that yet

And nobody is going to get 76 goals a season again anytime soon. Not to take anything away from Selanne at all, he's one helluva player, but that was accomplished in a different NHL, less emphasis on defense, more open game etc. The "new" NHL now kinda goes back to this style, but I doubt you will see many names score 60+ goals a season, even 50 - 60 goals, on a regular basis.

Back to the main topic at hand, I don't think this is too fair of a comparison, if we are talking about the age of both.

If Selanne was Zetterberg's age right now in the late 20s, I'd take Selanne in a heartbeat. Now though, I'd go with Zetterberg, as Selanne is coming close to the end of his career in all likelihood.

That doesn't mean he's stinking up the joint by any stretch of the imagination. Selanne is still a very dangerous player as he nearly netted 50 this year.

Both will be very important to their teams in this series.

If you don't like the topict then don't post in it. Seriously I get a laugh out of the people who reply to topics that they don't feel are "worthy" of replying to. You remind me of the fat kid at the ice cream stand who says there are too many ice cream stands... and then orders up a double scoop.

You're right, I should have just deleted the topic. But someone would start one again claiming the East West Podunk times aren't picking the Wings, so what's the point.

Zets is the class act type of player the Wings will build around. Selanne's a whiney ass *****. I never know what team he's on or chasing after. . . He'll wash up and fizzle away while Zets will be known as a hockey god for life.

Just out of curiosity, how long have you been following hockey?

Zets is the class act type of player the Wings will build around. Selanne's a whiney ass *****. I never know what team he's on or chasing after. . . He'll wash up and fizzle away while Zets will be known as a hockey god for life.

Hockey God ? Im not even that big a homer :lol:

Selannes amazing , Case closed

You are dead-on about pretty much everything, except Zetterberg being quiet in the playoffs. Hank was the Red Wings best player against the Oilers last season, and he has been very good in this post-season as well. I think maybe his production so far has been over-looked because people expect him to go back to the form he had before the back injury. Overall, I think Hank has gotten better as the playoffs progress. Good luck in the series!

You are dead-on about pretty much everything, except Zetterberg being quiet in the playoffs. Hank was the Red Wings best player against the Oilers last season, and he has been very good in this post-season as well. I think maybe his production so far has been over-looked because people expect him to go back to the form he had before the back injury. Overall, I think Hank has gotten better as the playoffs progress. Good luck in the series!

Well, I was just taking that from what I read here. I honestly haven't really followed much of the Detroit series. Not enough to notice the scoring, but I will be starting friday.

Question is, HOW long have you been following the Wings? You honestly think Zetters Career will never amount to much, pfft! Get real dude!

I never said he isn't important to our future. I'm just saying it's pretty easy to see why Selanne is getting more attention right now.

Zetterberg was the best forward in the entire NHL when he went down with his back injury. And thats not even a Homer comment. He had 28 points in his last 13 games before the injury and from the December 20th, when Datsyuk and Zetterberg were put on the same line and Sammy was bumped down, BOTH Datsyuk and Zetterberg took off with Zetterberg leading the charge from that date til he went down - ahead of Crosby, ahead of Lecavalier, etc. He is the player that, in most Wings fans eyes, can do no wrong on this Red Wings team - even moreso than Datsyuk.

The Zetterberg that you see in this playoffs is a great player, but he is a shadow of his pre-back injury self. Hes been battling the flu for the last few games and is still injured.

As for Selanne...who cares? We all know hes a great player and his name deserves to mentioned. You can be sure the tables would be turned if Zetterberg werent injured.

Zettebergs a great player. But Selannes been good forever. Zetterberg has 3 seasons under his belt. There is no comparison. They talk about Selanne because hes been there beofre , Z hasent.

Just talking heads running there mouth too often