• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
SweWings

Rumour: Liv accepted contract in Sweden

Rate this topic

Stefan Liv has apparently signed a 3-year contract with the Swedish club HV71 (his old club). This according to a Swedish newspaper (Aftonbladet) so let's wait for confirmation. Aftonbladet does have Swedens best sports coverage and the journalist posting the news is quite reliable but I'd rather have it posted somewhere else as well...

Good news for him! He really wasn't going to get very much playing time here anyways, or so the projected goalie timetable would lead one to believe.

'Cause if thats the case we need to draft a goalie or two.

I think that would've been the case whether Liv left or not. Weren't we trying to draft Leland Irving in the first round last year?

Agreed. He wasn't good enough to take over Howard. I don't think Detroit needs to drastically draft more goalies/trade for prospects. I need to look through it again to be sure but as far as I remember there are several promising goalies in Europe that Detroit might look to. Besides, if Liv suddenly starts performing extremely well in Sweden and Detroit wishes to give him a 2nd chance then what's stopping them...

Does this mean we lost him? :unsure: 'Cause if thats the case we need to draft a goalie or two.

we got daniel larsson who i have really high hopes for ...........but it does suck that liv's leaving , he never really played and showed us what he can do ......guess thats why hes leaving

...bet someone's wishing we didn't cart off Joey MacDonald like we did...

Hardly. Logan Koopmans can take Liv's spot on GR. The Wings have no need for MacDonald, and I'd be very suprised if the Bruins will still want him for next season.

Another factor that may play into Liv's decision.

I work with a woman from Sweden whose mother just helped to deliver the Liv's first child less than a year ago. Knowing his prospects of making the big club were slim and none in the foreseeable future, spending more time away from his family was probably not an option.

That doesn't have to be the end of it, though. I know that in the past, plenty of players have signed contracts with Swedish clubs only to renege on them to sign with NHL clubs -- Fredrik Olausson, for example. That may have changed with the new transfer agreement, which I know nothing about, but I doubt it. I wouldn't blame him if he left, though.

Would the Wings still hold his rights? I think he's good enough to catch on with an NHL club -- there's just no room here -- so I would hate for him to give up on an NHL career altogether. I'd rather see the Wings just relinquish his rights than stand in the way of him playing altogether. He did get better over the year as he adjusted to the smaller rink size.

Stefan Liv has a gold medal. End of Story....

Gold medals don't automatically get you ice time with the big club,That's why he's off home to sweden.

Joey Mac was never gonna break into the Wings team either , It was better to let him go and let some off the younger guy's get a chance.

Edited by glasgowcelticwing

Stefan Liv has a gold medal. End of Story....

A Gold Medal he piggy backed. He was the 3rd goaltender.

I think the org has higher hopes of his fellow countryman DANIEL LARSSON, probably why they didn't offer Liv more than a year.
Liv probably would have accepted a one-year contract if it was one-way.

I think the org has higher hopes of his fellow countryman DANIEL LARSSON, probably why they didn't offer Liv more than a year.

What? Why? Larsson was drafted way down in the scraps in some 3rd tier Swedish league, and is unproven. In fact, I really don't know anything about the guy other then he was a late round pick.

Liv has gotten an AHL season under his belt, and has looked pretty good at times. I hope he comes back soon, as again, I have higher hopes for him over Howard.

What? Why? Larsson was drafted way down in the scraps in some 3rd tier Swedish league, and is unproven. In fact, I really don't know anything about the guy other then he was a late round pick.
But he'll be the #1 goalie for Djurgården of the SEL the upcoming season.

But he'll be the #1 goalie for Djurgården of the SEL the upcoming season.

...and yet I did not know that.

I don't know anything about these guys until they come over here and play. It's hard to really watch them or see them play when their in Sweden.

Larsson is gonna be good, hes being compared too Pelle Lindbergh here in Sweden.