• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ttbrunke

Stepping Up?

Rate this topic

I thought it would be interesting to see who everyone thought they wanted to see play better or Setp-Up in the series against the ducks. These are guys that you think can make a difference (not the this guy has sucked list). Also guys that are already playing well need not to step up until they show that they have cooled off.

Todd Bertuzzi: I see some signs of better play as of late, He may be the only guy big enough to get in front of the net against pronger and stay there.

Kris Draper: I think the 3rd and 4th lines will need to be good offensively as well as defensively

Kirk Maltby: Same as Draper

Robert Lang: We will need some offense on that second line, even if Lang isn't going to go in the corners or hit someone he should put the puck in the net more.

Chris Chelios: He is going to get 20mins a night, I'm sure he is in good enough shape and I think he will take advantage.

Let me know what you think.

In all truth, I'm not as concerned with the Ducks offense. I feel the Sharks posed a much greater threat, but their defense is better than the Sharks and Flames combined. That being said, its clear that they'll use their shutdown line against Z-Dats-Homer, and the Wings will use their shutdown line against Kunitz-McDonald-Selanne. With these two lines going up against eachother, it eliminates the following lines for the Wings:

Z-Dats-Homer (who'll still chip in a goal here and there)

Cleary-Drapes-Malts

That leaves Bertuzzi, Filppula, Calder, Lang, Samuelsson and Franzen. These are the guys, IMO that will make or break this series. You can bank on Neids or Pronger being on the ice during all of the Z-Dats-Homer shifts, which will pit the other against one of these two remaining lines. It's during the next shift that the Wings will need to attack. Now granted, the Ducks could play Huskins-DiPenta when the Wings have their shutdown line out against the the Ducks top line, but my guess is that Carlyle will want to play Pronger with that line (because of his shot) to generate offense. If that happens, whichever of those two remaining lines are on the ice for the Huskins-DiPenta shift will need to be the difference makers in the very short amount of PT those two get (FYI: Between Neids and Pronger they play around 53-54 minutes per game).

Both of these teams will play excellent D, and have outstanding goaltending. I'd be willing to bet we can look forward to a lot of 3-4 goal maximum games throughout the series. If the Wings are to move on, those aforementioned lines I spoke of, will need to generate a fair amount of offense.

Edit: Spelling

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

That leaves Bertuzzi, Filppula, Calder, Lang, Samuelsson and Franzen. These are the guys, IMO that will make or break this series. You can bank on Neids or Pronger being on the ice during all of the the Z-Dats-Homer shifts, which will pit the other against one of these two remaining lines. That's where the Wings will need to attack. Now granted, the Ducks could play Huskins-DiPenta when the Wings have their shutdown line out against the the Ducks top line, but my guess is that Carlyle will want to play Pronger with that line (because of his shot) to generate offense. If that happens, whichever of those two remaining lines are on the ice for the Huskins-DiPenta shift will need to be the difference makers.

Phenomenal analysis.

Something I like that I've seen this post-season is during the final 10-20 seconds of a power play or penalty kill when Filppula and company are on the ice. They certainly generate some energy and do a great job either keeping the puck deep or pushing the forecheck to enable a better matchup after the next whistle. I think that if the Ducks PP is exhausted and can't put either Niedermayer or Pronger on the ice for some reason, even if just for a minute, it might be a great time to strike with our forgotten guys like Flip and Franzen.

I don't anticipate a heavy scoring affair, because both teams are particularly strong on the back end, so it might be the dirty goals that are the difference. I'm sure Anaheim isn't afraid to crash Hasek, and our power play will need to chip in some goals. All of a sudden, in games 5 and 6 of the San Jose series, Samuelsson found his aim - and hopefully it'll stick around because without Schneider, guess who we're going to see on the point every single power play?

I'd really like to see Bertuzzi park his ass in Giguere's face, a la Holmstrom, either on PP Unit #2 or just during regular shifts. The strategy proves effective - even if Homer doesn't HIMSELF score - and if we have the opportunity to double our annoyance efforts at the top of the paint, it can't hurt in any way.

Phenomenal analysis.

Something I like that I've seen this post-season is during the final 10-20 seconds of a power play or penalty kill when Filppula and company are on the ice. They certainly generate some energy and do a great job either keeping the puck deep or pushing the forecheck to enable a better matchup after the next whistle. I think that if the Ducks PP is exhausted and can't put either Niedermayer or Pronger on the ice for some reason, even if just for a minute, it might be a great time to strike with our forgotten guys like Flip and Franzen.

I don't anticipate a heavy scoring affair, because both teams are particularly strong on the back end, so it might be the dirty goals that are the difference. I'm sure Anaheim isn't afraid to crash Hasek, and our power play will need to chip in some goals. All of a sudden, in games 5 and 6 of the San Jose series, Samuelsson found his aim - and hopefully it'll stick around because without Schneider, guess who we're going to see on the point every single power play?

I'd really like to see Bertuzzi park his ass in Giguere's face, a la Holmstrom, either on PP Unit #2 or just during regular shifts. The strategy proves effective - even if Homer doesn't HIMSELF score - and if we have the opportunity to double our annoyance efforts at the top of the paint, it can't hurt in any way.

Wow, that IS good analysis NFM.. Are you an CBC analyst in disguise! :P

I have to disagree with the Bertuzzi in front of the net issue though, he doesn't seem to have that type of skill to his game. Drive the net yes, park there.. not so much.

Domink Hasek. And it isn't really stepping up, so much as carrying over his game 6 preformance, and not playing like he did the first 4 games.

Let's be honest here, the Ducks are a great skating team. Can we skate with them? No doubt, I think Detroit is the most underraated team left in the playoffs. No one thought we could hang with San Jose, they were too big and too fast. I think if Dom wouldn't have played so poorly in the first 10 minutes of those games, the Wings win it in 5.

Dom just needs to be Dom and play like he can. We can't afford to have him giving the puck away, the Ducks are too good.

Wings in 6.

If Bertuzzi can play his A game, we will not have a problem in this series. Also, you can say Sammy has played well last 2 games, but can he be consistent? If he can, that'd be great.

It's great to have Lebda back though.

Zetterberg, if he has a great series detroit moves on, no question.

Big Bert, a couple goals would be nice ;)

Edited by Shaman464

Bert and Lang, if you have any extra gear (and I know you have) it would be a good time to shift it now

also Dom has to be rock solid and may need to really standing on his head for few games.

Wow, that IS good analysis NFM.. Are you an CBC analyst in disguise! :P

I have to disagree with the Bertuzzi in front of the net issue though, he doesn't seem to have that type of skill to his game. Drive the net yes, park there.. not so much.

Nah, I just watch a ton of hockey, and pay attention to all the details I can.

Growing up playing the game didn't hurt my knowledge either.

I don't think Bertuzzi has the same skill set as Homer does - as far as tiping and such, but he's a monster body that can block vision just as well... I meant Bertuzzi needs a Holmstrom roll in the same way that he makes a better door than a window, not a deflection machine.

If you have trouble moving Homer, you should need a bulldozer to move Bertuzzi.

I think this might be the series, ecspecially with Pronger, and Neids, that we might have to split up Z&D. However, ALL of the Ducks defenseman have to be good because Just Neidermeier or just Pronger cannot handle Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

Guest bullocks

The hole defensive core needs to step up. Bertuzzi and Lang need to contribute. Datsyuk line needs to keep playing like they are. And Hasek has to be huge in net and make the key saves as he has been!

Hasek's already been playing great so I'm going to say Bertuzzi and Chelios.

Bertuzzi needs to get under Pronger's skin. He needs to nail Pronger every time there is a loose puck in the Ducks' end and make him pay for all the ice time he gets. Bertuzzi also needs to start scoring because secondary scoring is going to be a key in this series. The Ducks shut down line will probably limit the first line's chances.

Chelios needs to play as well as he has been with Schneider's absence. He can't let his age show and he needs to bring back his offensive game for the powerplay.

I think this might be the series, ecspecially with Pronger, and Neids, that we might have to split up Z&D. However, ALL of the Ducks defenseman have to be good because Just Neidermeier or just Pronger cannot handle Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

Niedermayer typically plays with Beauchemin so i see that as the defensive pairing that will deal with the first line for the most part. The ducks pair Pronger with O'donnell most of the time so the second line with Bert will get a healthy dose of them IMO.

Edited by ZAMBONI

If I had to pick one guy, I'd say Bertuzzi. It sounds cliche at this point, but he's this series' X factor; he has the potential to disrupt all of the Ducks' advantages. He doesn't even have to score all that much -- if he can just drive Pronger bats*** crazy, he will have earned his pay.

Edited by Dabura

Bertuzzi.

If I had to pick one guy, I'd say Bertuzzi. It sounds cliche at this point, but he's this series' X factor; he has the potential to disrupt all of the Ducks' advantages.

:clap: If we could see a few glimpses of that old Bertuzzi - the guy who runs THROUGH players and tosses them around like little ragdolls - this series would be a short one. *prays* Edited by motorcitykid