• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ProfessorLidstrom5

When will Datsyuk get an 'A'

Rate this topic

I think the guy definitely deserves to don the 'A' for his play in these playoffs. Dats has been a force on the ice and not to mention our leading scorer. I like having Drapes and Z as assistants but with the new contract for Dats isn't it inevitable??

Thoughts?

I think the guy definitely deserves to don the 'A' for his play in these playoffs. Dats has been a force on the ice and not to mention our leading scorer. I like having Drapes and Z as assistants but with the new contract for Dats isn't it inevitable??

Thoughts?

Getting the "A" or "C" is more a matter of leadership than it is of statistics or playing time. Pavel comes across as rather shy and reserved guy, not exacty the kind of person that would rally the troops with strong words.

Just like the C, wearing an A has absolutely nothing to do with the amount of points that you score or even how big or long of a contract you have.

I'm not saying that Pavel wouldn't make a good Alternate (not assistant) Captain, just that his stats and salary alone don't qualify him for that.

If Pavel still struggles with English, which is what I've heard, then he definately shouldn't wear the A. Your Captain and Alternate Captains have to be able to communicate with the refs on a regular basis...

Guest Agalloch

After seeing the interview Ken Daniels did with Datsyuk after he signed his new contract, I can safely say he shouldn't be an alternate captain, and probably won't be for a long time. His English is very bad.

Syuk MAY become an assistant after Lids retires, and Z becomes captain, but not before that.

Whos to say Z becomes captain ?

Datsyuk cant be a A that really speaks his mind , unless he's talking to Markov. His english ... well it sucks.

If he ever does become asstaint captian, it probably won't be until Draper leaves/retires. I would think anyways, unless either Zetterberg or Draper all of a sudden started playing like crap and a change was needed, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Detroit's "Rank", as it stands on the ice - number one wears the "C", two and three (or whoever is next should 2 and/or 3 not be in the lineup):

1) Lidstrom

2) Draper

3) Zetterberg

4) Chelios

5) Datsyuk

If you've followed the games this year, you'll notice that the "A"s have shifted when people have been out of the line-up (Z's back, the murder at Cheli's, etc).

Datsyuk is a great player don't get me wrong.. and he is a leader that leads by example

But... Have you heard him talk? Not exactly the best at getting out what he is trying to say which is why you'll almost never see him argue with refs without zetty by his side..

If in a few years he can speak fluently like zetty or holmstrom, etc than I would consider it, but at this point he would be undeserving of the A

Datsyuk shouldn't ever become a full time "A". He is a great player, yes, but his english is horrible and has no leadership qualities at all.

Just watching him dodge questions whenever he's interviewed is enough to make me not want him be an "A". It must be like pulling teeth trying to talk to him. If he's anything like he is in the lockeroom as he is during interviews, that's enough of a reason.

some people talk about how datsyuk shouldnt be assistant captain becuase of his english. however.. wasnt it commonly said that yzerman himself didnt do much talking in the locker room? on ice example can be enough to fill the role. and lets be honest, pavel has set a pretty good example this post season.

Edited by TheCaptain19

He'll get an A within the next 5 years. Hes a great, great player, and Holland said he wants the future wings to revolve around Dats and Zetterberg. As for his "language barrier", he's been in America for a good 5 or so years and has already learned a great deal of English, and hes only going to learn more in the next 7 years. In addition to that, when you spend any amount of extended time with someone who speaks with a heavy accent, it becomes easier to understand them. I have firsthand experience with this, as I actually work with a Russian who knows just enough English to get by. At first I couldn't understand a single sentence, but after working with him for a while, understanding him has become second-nature. The only thing I can think of that may keep him from getting an A is the fact that he comes on as a quiet guy though the media. Who knows, maybe he really is quiet in the locker room, maybe he isn't, but Yzerman was also a quiet guy, and he was the best leader this team has ever seen.

Datsyuk shouldn't ever become a full time "A". He is a great player, yes, but his english is horrible and has no leadership qualities at all

Completely disagree. He's got that same type of "leadership by example", reserved kind of attitude that both Steve and Nick have. Yes, he needs to work on his English. But even if he gets it down I doubt you'll see him turn into a big talker.

Once Lids and Cheli are gone, I can see the captaincy being like this:

Zetterberg: C

Draper: A

Datsyuk: A

ust watching him dodge questions whenever he's interviewed is enough to make me not want him be an "A". It must be like pulling teeth trying to talk to him.

This is because his English is terrible. He knows it and doesn't want to make himself look an ass with something he says when he means something else completely. The guy is smart.

Guest jaytan

I've never been a fan of guys being named captains or even alternates just because they're skilled players. Especially young guys, because they usually aren't ready for the responsibility. Sure, it's important to lead by example, and Dats is playing surprisingly hard in this postseason, but you also have to be able to communicate with your teammates and demand the most out of them when they're not performing as well as they should. Datsyuk can hardly speak English - even his quotes in the paper come across awkward. I also like it when a captain can stick up for his guys when things get nasty, and I don't know if I see him doing that.

Why the hell isn't Cheli wearing an 'A'? That's the question I've been asking. He's the most veteran player on the team, and everybody has to listen to what he says, and he's been a leader in the NHL, at the International level, and even with the players association... Maybe he's earned the right to be treated like a captain without having to have some letter stitched to his chest.

P.S. - If Lidstrom goes anywhere, Drapes should be the captain, no question about it.

Edited by jaytan

Beginning of the season I thought Datsyuk had very lilttle leadership quality but watching this playoffs changed my mind. He isn't just one dimensional player who chases for glory. He goes into corner if he has to and always goes back to help defense. He is probably one of the league best at poke check and does not back down from physical side of the game. Anyone saw him push Pronger away last night?

I agree that he needs to improve his english skill, I've seen many foreigners who become quite fluent in english in 5 years. However saying he has no leadership is wrong. I can see him wearing 'A' in few years

Detroit's "Rank", as it stands on the ice - number one wears the "C", two and three (or whoever is next should 2 and/or 3 not be in the lineup):

1) Lidstrom

2) Draper

3) Zetterberg

4) Chelios

5) Datsyuk

If you've followed the games this year, you'll notice that the "A"s have shifted when people have been out of the line-up (Z's back, the murder at Cheli's, etc).

Atta boy! QFT

The "A" has nothing to do with points or skill, rather leadership abilities. You don't have to speak great english or be a outspoken, its a presence that a leader possesses. Look at Lids, he doesn't seem to be the very talketive type, he leads quietly by example.

didn't you know? Dats already has an 'A!' 'cept his A stands for "Ass Kicker" :P

AMEN!!!!

As far as his knowledge of English, well, first of all, I think he's smarter than he lets on. Second of all, he knows that it's better to keep your mouth shut and let everyone think you're a fool rather than to open it and remove all doubt.

But he really is a very shy and soft-spoken person, with a very soft voice. To talk to him off the ice, he's one of the gentlest souls I've ever known in my life. He's a gentleman in every sense of the word. But on the ice...that's a whole other story.

Guest jaytan

Lidstrom can speak English fine. He's Swedish, so he probably speaks it better than a lot of Americans. I think Lidstrom is quiet in a different kind of way than Datsyuk, and when something really needs to be said, he'll say it, and people will listen. I'm not going to compare Lidstrom to Stevie or anything, but it seems similar to how it was when he came into his own as the Captain.

I remember being opposed to Lidstrom getting the captaincy when Stevie retired, but I guess I was mistaken about that. So far, so good.