• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BeeRYCE

Potential Calder Candidates?

Rate this topic

I know this is playoff time and time for playoff talk, but this has been on my mind. I'm always interested in NHL's up and comers, but I want to know, who are some potential rookie of the year candidates for the 07/08 season...

I think of guys like:

IGOR GRIGORENKO

JAKUB KINDL

Jonathan Toews

Erik Johnson

Bobby Ryan

Jack Johnson

Nicklas Backstrom

However, those are just some obvious names. I'm just curious, who are they saying are going to be top NHL rookies next season, and/or what are your predictions? Also, how good of a shot do Grigs and Kindl have respectively?

Backstrom can't win the Calder trophy, as he will be 29 next season. Ever since Sergei Makarov won the Calder at age 31 back in 1990, the league voted that a player can only win it if their under 26.

I get the feeling Erik Johnson will win it next year if he plays. He looks to be a real good player in the NHL. I'd be suprised if Kindl and Grigorenko even get a roster spot next season.

Edit: Nevermind the first comment. I thought you were referring to the Backstrom on Minnesota, not Washington. As for that Backstrom, I don't think he'll even be in the NHL next season.

Edited by Kp-Wings

Backstrom can't win the Calder trophy, as he will be 29 next season. Ever since Sergei Makarov won the Calder at age 31 back in 1990, the league voted that a player can only win it if their under 26.

I get the feeling Erik Johnson will win it next year if he plays. He looks to be a real good player in the NHL. I'd be suprised if Kindl and Grigorenko even get a roster spot next season.

Wrong Backstrom.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdispla...pid%5B%5D=81390

This one will be turning 20 in November.

Jack Johnson. I guess I'd have to pick him cause I am a fan of the CCHA and actually watch those games. Everyone else I really havent seen play. But when you watch Jack, he is on a totally different level than anyone else in the CCHA. He's got my vote... and thats HUGE coming from a Michigan State Hockey fan ! (Woot go State National Champs woot woot...)

If he plays with Semin and Ovechkin and gets top line minutes , i could see him getting it too

Yeah, but he's got to earn top minutes.

I have actually seen Backstrom play, I think he'd ready personally.

grigenko and Kindl shouldnt even be mentioned with Toews and Johnson.

Before his accident, Grigorenko was considered on the level of Ovechkin and Kovalchuk. Toews has not been put i nthat group nearly as much as Igor was. It's reasonable that he could be just as good as Toews if he is at 85% or 90% of where he would have been without the accident. Not saying he is, just that it's far from a riduculous suggestion.

Before his accident, Grigorenko was considered on the level of Ovechkin and Kovalchuk. Toews has not been put i nthat group nearly as much as Igor was. It's reasonable that he could be just as good as Toews if he is at 85% or 90% of where he would have been without the accident. Not saying he is, just that it's far from a riduculous suggestion.

I suppose thats true , but since he did get hurt ... :P

Who knows really , give him a year in Grand Rapids and i bet he'd be ready to become a good NHL'er

Guest Agalloch

Backstrom will win it next year, most likely. He'll get big minutes, since Washington's number one center after the trade deadline was JIRI NOVOTNY of all people. They'll need him, even if they do sign a big name center. Plus, he's a big point producer, and will play with either Ovechkin or Semin.

Toews is more of a two-way player and will play with a horrible team.

I want to ask you :lol:, any big names that you know of that they say are going to make an impact next season?

Edited by BeeRYCE

i haven't seen marc staal's name yet. anyone know if he'll be up with the rangers next year?

Girgorenko wont stick around to play in the AHL.

wasn't there something in his contract saying that if was down in GR for three weeks or more that he could jump back across the pond?

Grigorenko makes $1 million tax-free in Russia and signed for less to play for the Wings next season; however his contract has a clause that if he doesn't make the team he can return to the Russian league.

He figures that the roughly $850,000 he signed for can be parlayed into a few million in the next year or two, but he's not going to settle for that sum (taxed of course) to play in the AHL, and forego the money he could make in Russia.

I hope he makes the team because everything I've read about him indicates that he has one of the qualities that we've all been hoping for, "grit." Additionally, he's one of those "building blocks" for the "new Red Wings."

Whether or not he'd get the Calder pales into insignificance considering his possible future impact on the team.

Grigorenko makes $1 million tax-free in Russia and signed for less to play for the Wings next season; however his contract has a clause that if he doesn't make the team he can return to the Russian league.

He figures that the roughly $850,000 he signed for can be parlayed into a few million in the next year or two, but he's not going to settle for that sum (taxed of course) to play in the AHL, and forego the money he could make in Russia.

I hope he makes the team because everything I've read about him indicates that he has one of the qualities that we've all been hoping for, "grit." Additionally, he's one of those "building blocks" for the "new Red Wings."

Whether or not he'd get the Calder pales into insignificance considering his possible future impact on the team.

The Calder next year should come down to:

[/font]

Erik Johnson

Bobby Ryan

Jack Johnson

The two Johnsons aretalented all-around defensemen stepping into an environment where they'll have some younger vets around, but also pull in a lot of key ice time.

Ryan is a physical, skilled forward stepping into the lineup of a Cup contender that has a lot of young skill up front.

Guys like Grigorenko and Kindl won't play enough or score enough to garner serious consideration. Backstrom is less of a sure thing than the guys I listed above because Washington will likely try to pull in an established scoring centerman to play on the first line and let Backstrom have the second line for now. If Backstrom does end up between Semin and Ovechkin full-time, he could post the best numbers, and that situation may or may not lead to his winning the Calder.

[/font]

Erik Johnson

Bobby Ryan

Jack Johnson

I'm not sure if I can fathom 3 AMERICANS all being nominated for Calder. NO TOEWS? I think Toews will do something, and I still hold my opinion about him being the next Steve Yzerman. He's everything Steve Yzerman was as a 19 year old, it's so identical, it's scary.

But yeah, judging by your estimates, it looks as if the future of the game is American.

[/font]

Erik Johnson

Bobby Ryan

Jack Johnson

The two Johnsons aretalented all-around defensemen stepping into an environment where they'll have some younger vets around, but also pull in a lot of key ice time.

Ryan is a physical, skilled forward stepping into the lineup of a Cup contender that has a lot of young skill up front.

Guys like Grigorenko and Kindl won't play enough or score enough to garner serious consideration. Backstrom is less of a sure thing than the guys I listed above because Washington will likely try to pull in an established scoring centerman to play on the first line and let Backstrom have the second line for now. If Backstrom does end up between Semin and Ovechkin full-time, he could post the best numbers, and that situation may or may not lead to his winning the Calder.

Bobby Ryan will not be with the Ducks most of next year....so eliminate him from Calder runnings....

Bobby Ryan will not be with the Ducks most of next year....so eliminate him from Calder runnings....

Why? I think it should very well be his time.

I'm not sure if I can fathom 3 AMERICANS all being nominated for Calder. NO TOEWS? I think Toews will do something, and I still hold my opinion about him being the next Steve Yzerman. He's everything Steve Yzerman was as a 19 year old, it's so identical, it's scary.

But yeah, judging by your estimates, it looks as if the future of the game is American.

Toews could sneak in, especially if Ryan does not play full-time in the bigs in his first year.

The challenge for Toews would be that Chicago has established young players like Havlat and Ruutu. Plus there will be pressure to either retain or replace Handzus. Toews will most likely end up playing second line at best for most of his first year.

People in Sweden try to sell of Bäckström as a new Forsberg but I kinda doubt he'll post those kinda numbers in his rookie season. He's a good player no doubt but I don't think we'll see an explosive entry into the NHL. I have my hopes though, I've seen the guy play here in Sweden more than a few times now and he's got a great attitude...