• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

justheducks

Camera at the Joe

Rate this topic

okay i wasnt going to say anything but after last nights game i figured id say something.

why the hell is your guys' camera so low at the joe!

there must have been 30 incidents of fans standing up and blocking the view of the game.

it was so ridiculous!!!!

is it just on versus? or all of the games like this?

i dont see how you can spend over a 100 million dollars on an arena and have such a mistake of the placement of the cameras. i know Det. isnt the only one and id have to say Dallas is by far the worst.

does this bother anyone else???

sorry for the non hockey topic

okay i wasnt going to say anything but after last nights game i figured id say something.

there must have been 30 incidents of fans standing up and blocking the view of the game.

it was so ridiculous!!!!

i dont see how you can spend over a 100 million dollars on an arena and have such a mistake of the placement of the cameras. i know Det. isnt the only one and id have to say Dallas is by far the worst.

Well for starters, it was built for 57 million, and its 25 years old.

Its a dump and camera sightlines are a big problem, but when JLA was built, the primary focus wasnt on building TV friendly arenas. The camera stands sit level with the 2nd half of the bowl (over the bowl entrances), so they really cant be anywhere else.

The big positive of the Joe is that it has great sightlines for those in attendance. Despite how cruddy the ammenities, there really isnt a bad seat in the house

Edited by Mark THS

it was so ridiculous!!!!

Im really withholding from the "typical expansion team fan" comment, but how can you not know how old the Joe is? Its spouted around by hockey fans all the time.

It annoys the hell out of me. I almost started a thread about this. One would think that fans in "Hockeytown" would be willing/able to be in their seats at the beginning of the game and the 2nd and 3rd periods. Every game there are groups of people standing there looking for their seats, obstructing the view of the camera, and espcially the views of the people in the rows behind them. Then there are also the people who feel the need to stand up and/or wave their arms around when the puck is in front of them so they can be on TV. To both groups, "you suck ass." Often at the end of an exciting game, when everyone is standing (appropriately), the broadcast switches to a higher view, but it's probably too distant to use for the entire game.

There, I feel a little better already.

Oh yeah, I doubt Joe Louis Arena cost $100 million.

It annoys the hell out of me. I almost started a thread about this. One would think that fans in "Hockeytown" would be willing/able to be in their seats at the beginning of the game and the 2nd and 3rd periods.

Once the puck drops, be it start of the game, 2nd period, 3rd period..etc. the fans can't get in their seats UNTIL the whistle is blown and play stops. Other than that fans are either using the bathrooms, getting merchandise, or getting something to eat and drink. Big whoop.

It annoys the hell out of me. I almost started a thread about this. One would think that fans in "Hockeytown" would be willing/able to be in their seats at the beginning of the game and the 2nd and 3rd periods. Every game there are groups of people standing there looking for their seats, obstructing the view of the camera, and espcially the views of the people in the rows behind them. Then there are also the people who feel the need to stand up and/or wave their arms around when the puck is in front of them so they can be on TV. To both groups, "you suck ass." Often at the end of an exciting game, when everyone is standing (appropriately), the broadcast switches to a higher view, but it's probably too distant to use for the entire game.

There, I feel a little better already.

Oh yeah, I doubt Joe Louis Arena cost $100 million.

"you suck ass"

I am a longtime Red Wing fan who lives outside of Philly. I have Flyers season tickets and go to many games during the course of the year. During the 02-03 year I went out to the Joe for two games and I noticed the strangest thing. Fans stand up and go to the concessions while play is going on. In Philly you cant get back to your seats until a whistle and no one officially prevents you from getting up during game action, but at the Joe people were getting up left and right while play was going on. There was a situation where a 3 on 2 was developing and the person in front of me stood up for a few seconds and then casually walked down the aisle during the play. I kind of yelled at the guy to get out of the way and he looked at me strangely, as if he had no idea what I was complaining about. After returing home from Detroit and watching Wings games a little more closely I really noticed people getting up during the game on a consistent basis. If you tried to do that in Philly things would be thrown at you. But other than that, there isn't a bad seat in the Joe to watch the game.

Once the puck drops, be it start of the game, 2nd period, 3rd period..etc. the fans can't get in their seats UNTIL the whistle is blown and play stops. Other than that fans are either using the bathrooms, getting merchandise, or getting something to eat and drink. Big whoop.

I have zero problem with people getting up, I wouldn't myself, but I don't expect all 20,000 people to all stay glued to their seats until intermission. That said, when watching on TV, I sometimes catch myself almost yelling "sit down, I can't see!"

Thank you for explaining to me why people get out of their seats, I had no idea! I have been to hundreds of sporting events, small and large venues, and yet have never found it necessary to obstruct others' view while the game was in progress.

YoungGuns1340: Because I don't want people in my way I suck ass? Sounds to me like one of us sucks ass, but I don't think it's me.

Edited by Izzy24

Glad I'm not the only one yelling SIT THE F@#K DOWN! at my tv. Idiots.

I really wanna smack the few that do it ON EVERY RUSH. We get it, you're on the phone with Suzy and she thinks you're cool for being on tv. The rest of us think you're a ******.

Then there are also the people who feel the need to stand up and/or wave their arms around when the puck is in front of them so they can be on TV.

I have zero problem with people getting up, I wouldn't myself, but I don't expect all 20,000 people to all stay glued to their seats until intermission. That said, when watching on TV, I sometimes catch myself almost yelling "sit down, I can't see!"

Oh I agree. I get annoyed too. The thing is the thread is made singling out the JLA, yet you see this in nearly all the arena's with fans getting up and obstructing view.

Thank you for explaining to me why people get out of their seats, I had no idea! I have been to hundreds of sporting events, small and large venues, and yet have never found it necessary to obstruct others' view while the game was in progress.

YoungGuns1340: Because I don't want people in my way I suck ass? Sounds to be like one of us sucks ass, but I don't think it's me.

No, I just dont think people "suck ass" for having to take a piss. As long as they dont stand up in front of me for extended amounts of time, then Im fine. Get up if you have to and move out of the way quickly. Whenever Im at a game, this is what people do, and I really dont mind. I usually just look around them if i can and if not, I wait the whole 5 seconds it takes them to move.

Oh I agree. I get annoyed too. The thing is the thread is made singling out the JLA, yet you see this in nearly all the arena's with fans getting up and obstructing view.

I'm not singling out JLA, it happens plenty of places, I don't like it anywhere. It just happens that we are talking about JLA.

I'm not singling out JLA, it happens plenty of places, I don't like it anywhere. It just happens that we are talking about JLA.

And I am not talking about you singling out the JLA. I'm talking about the one who started this thread. ;)

The place where the cameras are at JLA are actually pretty killer location, they'd be perfect seats if you could have them. The only problem is that when a goal is scored they need a way to raise it up a bit, can't blame the fans for getting up but you're right about their angle for those moments. But then again I don't give a damn if I'm watching a celebration or not, if its on TV I'm gonna see a replay in 10 seconds anyway, and if I'm there in person I'm standing too. Also I don't think when they built the place that hockey's TV presence was a big of a concern as it is today.

As far as fans seating, you can't get a bad place in there, no obstructions other than people that can't hold their water. As to the comment about people getting up, you can get up and walk down during play (as with most places), they just won't let you back up unless there is a stoppage. But you will have this problem at just about any venue, lots of beer drinking = lots of pee breaks.

Those annoyances are to be expected though, but here is a truly annoying incident I experienced at game 1 vs Calgary. With about 5-10 minutes to go in the 3rd some guy that couldn't hold his booze was standing in the middle of the isle hammered stagering around in front of everyone trying to get people to do the wave. Meanwhile people were trying to watch Calgary's pissed off last minute frustration scrums on the ice, I mean who doesn't want to see a good fight if it happens. So there we are tryinig to see the action and this guy is waving his arms and screaming, I seriously thought he was going to get jumped. He had about 30 people yelling stuff at him, and a few of them threatening him. My favorite quote though was some guy that yelled "Im trying to watch the game jack@#$, now sit down or I'll sit you down!" I about lost it.

Are there no plans to get a replacement stadium for Detroit? I know JLA is probably sentimental for many fans, but sometimes, these places get so outdated that it is just time to move on. The Lakers and Kings moved out of the Great Western Forum. The Celtics and Bruins left the Garden. Detroit is a franchise that could use a new stadium, and it can be tasteful enough to tribute Detroit's rich hockey history. Who knows, it could increase in capacity and create revenue for Detroit.

Are there no plans to get a replacement stadium for Detroit? I know JLA is probably sentimental for many fans, but sometimes, these places get so outdated that it is just time to move on. The Lakers and Kings moved out of the Great Western Forum. The Celtics and Bruins left the Garden. Detroit is a franchise that could use a new stadium, and it can be tasteful enough to tribute Detroit's rich hockey history. Who knows, it could increase in capacity and create revenue for Detroit.

Its up in the air right now, alot of people around town are speculating as to what they're going to do.

The Red Wings contract lease at Joe Louis Arena ends in 2009, ownership has stated interests in both a possible renovation of the current venue, or the construction of a new arena. Let me dig up an article I just read about this the other day and I'll edit this with a link.

edit: here is the link, latest I've heard as far as what they're going to do venue wise in the future. http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...METRO/704050388

Edited by #19forPresident!

It's my opinion that Mike Ilitch already has decided to build a new arena, but he's holding off on a public announcement until he can buy all the land he needs. When he built Comerica Park, he made the announcement real early and had to buy land at over-inflated prices and there was a big stink about which buildings were gonna get torn down - they eventually had to physically pick up and move the Gem Theatre 900 yards down the street. Way much hassle and it set the project back about a year and a half. I think Ilitch has learned from that experience and won't be announcing a new arena til ALL the land is in place.

As for why the cameras are so low, it's simple: We don't have luxury suites in between the upper and lower tiers. Nearly every other arena does and so you're used to the view from above the suites. At the Joe the cameras are barely a couple feet above the SRO level. Makes for some fantastic sightlines from the upper deck though.

The Joe is the 5th oldest building in the league behind Mellon Arena (Pittsburgh which is getting replaced), the current Madison Square Garden (Rangers), Nassau Coliseum (Islanders) and Rexall Place (Edmonton)

$57 million isn't bad for the 3rd largest arena in the NHL (seating capacity), only behind Montreal and Chicago.

The Joe doesn't have the amenities as many other rinks do, we don't have the fancy scoreboards, comfortable seats, room to breathe.

But do you really need those things when you've got the teams we've had over the last 15 years.

I'm not sure what everyone is really complaining about here.

With regards to people getting up during play, yeah that is kind of annoying. I generally feel Wings season ticket holders are spoiled, self centered people for the most part (but thats really not the topic).

As far as how low the camera is, PEOPLE, that is the WAY IT SHOULD BE!!! The lower the better. I, for one, cant stand some rinks who have a main camera shot that looks like its up in the press box. Its good for seeing plays develop, I suppose, but the players look like ants compared to how they look with a nice, low, close up camera that can follow the action. Anyone who watches Hockey Night in Canada knows that they shoot games the same exact way as the usual FSN Red Wings setup. To me, this is critical to how the game is presented.

Can anyone please give me some positives to having a high camera angle besides seeing the play from a more top-down view? That is the only thing I can think of.

The only place that they can put the cameras at the Joe are in the rafters.

*edit*

To give a ruff idea of where the placements are at.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Edited by Jwo

I am shocked this is even a topic as the joe can barely sell tickets and the red wings fans don't care about the team... you would think the camera wouldn't get obstructed at all.

Anyways... after watching for around 22 years I guess it just doesn't phase me anymore with the camera angles.

Now the camera angle I HATE is the one from the top of the glass behind the net... the one NBC loves. That is so annoying.

Edited by OsGOD

I am shocked this is even a topic as the joe can barely sell tickets and the red wings fans don't care about the team... you would think the camera wouldn't get obstructed at all.

Anyways... after watching for around 22 years I guess it just doesn't phase me anymore with the camera angles.

Now the camera angle I HATE is the one from the top of the glass behind the net... the one NBC loves. That is so annoying.

I absolutely LOVE that angle for the PP, but only for the PP. It sucks any other time.