• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
union drone

Redwings flashback: 2002

Rate this topic

Since the Wings are in round 3 for the first time since the cup-winning 2002 season, perhaps it is time for a stroll down memory lane...

Where were you during the Wings' game 7 blowout victory vs the Avs in the 2002 WCF? :siren::siren::siren:

Me: Watching the game at Snookers Pool & Pub on Woodward Ave in Royal Oak. :D

How about you?

At my good buddie Ricketts house. Drinking beer underage and having a hell of a Red Wings party!! haha! Go Wings!

Edited by rage

I was at an Incubus concert in Grand Rapids, watching the monitors in the corridors, yep every single monitor had the game on. I was so glad we won that game the way we did. I would have never forgiven myself had we lost.

At home, listening to the game on web radio and being careful not to wake up my parents with my whispers of joy (never heard such loud whispers in my life) and that unmistakeable noise a cork makes when it pops.

I was still in college, but I wasn't taking any summer school classes so I was back home here for a few months working an internship at an advertising agency. The agency is located on the outskirts of the French Quarter which is kinda cool.

Anyways after work I walked a few blocks to a sports bar attached to the Hilton hotel in downtown New Orleans and there were actually a fair amount of Red Wings contingency there of about 10 - 15 or so. Not bad for down here. I ate dinner there and we all celebrated the blowout. :beerbuddy:

I was at home watching it with my dad and buddy. I think after like the thde first period we and my buddy went swimming or somehting buti remember thinking durign the game after every goal that a another would be nice to pad the lead.

Guest jaytan

I was in college in Minneapolis,watching in my apartment and having the time of my life.

Roy ha ha! :lol:

I was there too. Best game I've ever attended. Yzerman's retirement ceremony was memorable, but that 7-0 whipping was unforgettable. We joked that the Wings scored a goal for every $100 we spent to be there.

It wasn't an afternoon game - definitely night. I have pictures at the Joe with our commemorative newspapers (Au-Rev-Roy!), and it's dark out.

I had a hockey game to referee at Great Lakes in Fraser. I was listening to the game in my car in the parking lot...it was 2-0 when I finally had to go in and get ready. All the fans watching the game I was doing kept running to the lobby every time we scored to watch the replay.

I was home by myself and parents came home I was hooting and hollering. Hubby was at work. We went out and celebrated after that game. That was the best game EVER!! PATTY WAHHHHH, I still have the papers from that lol!

I was sitting on my bed in my room, with my brother and his best friend, I didn't have any couch or chairs in my room at the time so they had to use folding chairs while I sat on the edge of my bed. When Holmstrom scored on the Wings first shot on goal, I cheered and raised my hands and yelled, when Fedorov scored on THE RED WINGS SECOND SHOT on goal I went nuts and banged my knee on the edge of the bed :crazy: ...I could hardly walk for the next few days, a very memorable day for me May 31, 2002 good stuff!

Edited by Elshupacabra

I was at an Incubus concert in Grand Rapids, watching the monitors in the corridors, yep every single monitor had the game on. I was so glad we won that game the way we did. I would have never forgiven myself had we lost.

No way!!! ME TOO!!!.

How crazy is that?

Word,

LDi03

I had a baseball game that evening, and I was Tivo-ing Game 7. All during my game, I'm thinking about the Wings. I'm out at shortstop, bases loaded, two outs, and I'm thinking, "Jeez, what's going on, I'll bet Roy's stoning us again, jeez, we can't lose to them again, crap..."

Anyway, our game ends, and as we're packing up our stuff and heading out of the dugout, our coach looks at his cell phone (he was one of the first people to subscribe to moble sports updates, when they were first available and cost a fortune per month), and says, "Red Wings beat Colorado SEVEN-NOTHING!"

I couldn't believe it. I made him repeat the score, just to make sure. Then I yelled, "I'm in Heaven!!"

My teammates gave me weird looks. I didn't care. Then I went home, watched the game, and just laughed the whole time.

Great memories.

I was coaching at the high school state track and field meet in Wisconsin. I kept calling my wife for updates. The second time I called her, the Wings were up 4-0. I knew it was over then. A little later in the dorms, I got to watch Dats score the 7th goal.

Edited by Wildwings44

I'm rather ashamed to say that I was at the Pete Yorn concert in Ann Arbor...I had bought the tix far in advance and completely flipped when this all went down...I told me friends that I'd be communicating with people via cell phone for the score and if it was tight I was leaving to find someplace to watch it. Needless to say, my first call in allowed me to rest easy and just enjoy the show...4-0...it was inbetween the opener and main sets and I yelled out the score and everyone went crazy...it was good times...now ask me where I was after they won the Cup and I've got a better story...

Yeah, no deal, just partying with the Wings and drinking champagne out of the Cup...no deal or anything...shooting the shizzle with Luc Robitaille and joke flirting with his drunk but really, really cool and friendly wife...laughing at the fact that Holmstrom seemed to be really confused and disoriented due to his drunken state which pissed him off as he mumbled heaven knows what to himself under his breath...but he was crazy fun too at times! He just had a little too much fun after awhile...all those guys were really cool...Scotty Bowman seemed so happy...he didn't seem like a big, tough coach that night but a vulnerable, happy, content old man. It was really strange actually. It really struck me. But all in all, a once in a lifetime experience that was just absolutely insane on so many levels. I can't believe I actually experienced it. You always feel a part of it as a fan but to be there like that was just unreal...how many people can say they celebrated the victory with the team and drank champagne out of the Cup? Here's a pic to give some sense of validity...I know it's a bit of a crazy story and all and it's not like it really matters whether you believe me or not in online world, but might as well give you something...I just scanned this...crappy quality b/c it was a disposable camera...name of establishment blocked out of respect for the possibility that this could happen again in the future and they probably don't want a ton of people hanging around...

IPB Image

I was incredibly nervous going into that game, I had watched the previous game at a bar only to see us lose so I decided to watch that one alone. But during one of the intermissions after we built a healthy lead I went over to a friends house were he, myself and another proceeded to laugh at Roy every time they zoomed the camera in on his face trying to stiffen his upper lip, looked like he was about to cry.

Point of interest, heading over during the intermission there was a group of brightly colored Wing fans yelling on the side of the road in front of their house, hoisting signs, the most notable of which wrote "Roy Sucks." I love Michigan when the Wings go deep into the playoffs.

I was most likely at my house watching the game on TV.

I was only 12 at the time, so it's a little hard to remember exactly, but I do remember the game a bit and the lop sided score.

I was sitting at home about 2 feet from the TV. I remember how anxious I was that whole day leading up to the game. It was definately one of my favourite games of all time, despite the lopsided score.