• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Rice

Ryan Smyth

Rate this topic

smyth would be great....but face it people....we need someone that doesnt know anything but...

bury the puck.

score

score

score

brett hull style.

cruise the neutral zone and light the lamp.

we have a team full of playmakers and grinders, heart and soul....but no pure unadulterated...selfish...egotistical...its mine,mine all mine, type of goal scorer.

Shanahan is the only guy that comes to mind, and even if he wanted to come back, I'd say forget it. It's time to move on.

Players like that aren't quite as common anymore. Times are a changing.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on this one... but didn't Smyth turn down a contract from his beloved Oilers because of a $100,000 difference? Wasnt it like 6.1 mil or something like that? Seems to me like Smyth is tryin to be paid... and he can't get paid here. He would have to take a large pay cut to play for us. If we did somehow sign him I would be all for it, because people are right, he is like a better version of Homer.... but what is wrong with two homers??? Nothing. I think signing Bert is more important than Smyth.... but we'll see ho wit goes...

ryan smyth is just like holmstrom we don t need two homers we need some speed and size maybe a guerin to play with datsyuk

Could you imagine how many goalies would be s***ting their pants when they verse the wings with Homer and Smyth? That would be a full 2 minutes of blind penalty killing for any opposing goalie

Smyth on our team would really round out the top 2 lines; however I don't recall Smyth ever playing center - then again I've never been an Oiler fan.

He has, when needed to. Usually it's just when a guy gets thrown out of a faceoff, though I do remember occasions of Smyth playing a regular shift at center.

The power play advantage would make it very worthwhile. Pavel ate most of our cap increase this year, but dropping Lang & Markov will help cover the pay of Smyth.

5-on-5 wouldn't be half bad either...

Dats & Hank as top 2 centers. Bert, Homer & Smyth on the wings. And a half dozen guys competing for the last 2nd-line wing. Franz, Flip, Hud, Grigs, Cleary, Sammy...

Not so; gotta figure Schneider may not be around then, and if Lidstrom is still playing with us - he'll have to take a pay cut...I honestly don't see too much of a problem signing Hank to a big $$$ deal for 4 to 6 years; as long as the cap doesn't drop to 35 million that is :rolleyes:
Well. I wouldn't want $20M (6.5 Smyth, 6.5 Zetterberg, 6.7 Datsyuk) tied up in three forwards. That's for sure. Edited by Systemfel

Guest bullocks

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on this one... but didn't Smyth turn down a contract from his beloved Oilers because of a $100,000 difference? Wasnt it like 6.1 mil or something like that? Seems to me like Smyth is tryin to be paid... and he can't get paid here. He would have to take a large pay cut to play for us. If we did somehow sign him I would be all for it, because people are right, he is like a better version of Homer.... but what is wrong with two homers??? Nothing. I think signing Bert is more important than Smyth.... but we'll see ho wit goes...

He was offered around $5 million and declined it.

Guest Shoreline

Hmm, I haven't seen from others that (strangely) Smyth rejected a contract offer from the Isles in the realm of 10 years. This was from an ESPN podcast right after the Wings were eliminated.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/player...amp;id=2881188#

EJ Hradek seems to think the Wings will also go for Smyth, considering the money freed up from some 3 or 4 UFA's.

Personally, I'd love the idea of Smyth, at the cost of Lang, Calder, and even Bert. I'd love the thought of ridding of Lang/Calder, adding Smyth, and re-signing Bert, but that wouldn't leave too much for defensemen. Tough choices ahead.

Guest bullocks

If the NHLPA raises the cap to 52 mil, then anything could be possible. NHLPA to raise Cap

were already 1.4 mill under the cap with our bonuses out to dom and chelli. and holland will leave like $2 million wiggle room to do something at the deadline.

were already 1.4 mill under the cap with our bonuses out to dom and chelli. and holland will leave like $2 million wiggle room to do something at the deadline.

Well , cheli and Doms bonuses could be moved to later , I know Chelios would do it , he doesnt play for the money anymore.

That would leave us 1.4 under a 44 mil cap , That means we have just over 9 million if the cap goes to 52. We'd have lots of room for Smyth. As I see Bertuzzi at 1.5 mil , Smyth at 4 mil , Schnieder 2 mil , 2 mil for Markov , would give us 52 million.

Its perfect !

That would leave us 1.4 under a 44 mil cap , That means we have just over 9 million if the cap goes to 52. We'd have lots of room for Smyth. As I see Bertuzzi at 1.5 mil , Smyth at 4 mil , Schnieder 2 mil , 2 mil for Markov , would give us 52 million.

Its perfect !

Yeah... Some realistic numbers though:

Smyth: 6.5

Bertuzzi: 2.5 (+ bonuses)

Markov: 3.25

Schneider: 3.25

Edited by Systemfel

Bertuzzi at 2,5 is incredibly overpayed , he can go to columbus is he wants that money.

Markov shouldnt get 3.25 , Schnieder got get that money.

Smyth aint worth 6.5 , but if he wants to go for Chicago , he can go there.

Guest bullocks

yah i was about to say, those numbers are incredibly unrealistic.

Well , cheli and Doms bonuses could be moved to later , I know Chelios would do it , he doesnt play for the money anymore.

Its perfect !

Bertuzzi - $2-3 mill

Smyth - $5.5 mill (cheapest)

Schneider - $3.25 mill (cheapest)

Markov - $3 mill (cheapest)

There's some realistic numbers lol

yah i was about to say, those numbers are incredibly unrealistic.

Bertuzzi - $2-3 mill

Smyth - $5.5 mill (cheapest)

Schneider - $3.25 mill (cheapest)

Markov - $3 mill (cheapest)

There's some realistic numbers lol

Markov and Bertuzzi arent worth 3 million. I like them both , but 6 million locked up in a 3rd defenceman and some damanged goods.

Something to remeber , were losing Langs 3.2 mil and Calders 2.9 million off our cap. We have loads of room if the cap goes to 52
We never had Calder's 2.9 million on the cap to begin with. ;)

Markov and Bertuzzi arent worth 3 million. I like them both , but 6 million locked up in a 3rd defenceman and some damanged goods.
I'm sure plenty of teams would love to add Markov for 3 million. Edited by Systemfel

Signing Smyth means no Bertuzzi. We don't have the room at forward or under the salary cap to sign both guys. That and they basically offer the same skill set--which means that, like a Homer/Bert or Homer/Smyth combo, they wouldn't work well on the same line. Which means Bert, Homer, or Smyth on the third line.

The range we would likely be looking at if they sign in Detroit:

Smyth 4.5-5.5m

Bertuzzi: 3.5m-4.5m

Schneider: 3.5m-4m

Markov: 2.75m-3.25m

The Wings have eleven forwards already signed for next year's roster, including current players signed and Grigorenko. Hudler is still RFA. That makes twelve. The Wings have tended to run with 13 forwards the past few years, which means only one forward spot is left open.

This post details the Wings' current situation, as well as some hypothetical numbers for players we need to sign. Granted I used the bottom end of the scale for Schneider and Markov..but even if you use the top end, we still have almost 7m left under the 48m cap.

Also, from looking at nhlnumbers.com, it looks like the bonuses for Chelios and Hasek mostly counted against THIS YEAR--they only would have put the Wings over by 163k, not the 1.4m that people have been posting. Remember, Yzerman's 05-06 bonus was around 750k, yet only 358k carried over.

So figure around 6.5m left to sign a forward and a goalie. Certainly Smyth seems more likely if Hasek doesn't come back--Howard or another backup would cost about 1m to 1.5m less than Dom will, which means instead of having about 4.5m to spend on Smyth and max the cap out, Holland would have 5.5m-6m to spend on Smyth, and he could leave 1m or so for wiggle room. Schneider and Markov's contracts also could be a factor--Hasek returning but Schneider and Markov signing towards the bottom of my expected range would also allow for Smyth and wiggle room.

Unlikely he's ever gonna be a Wing. You know Holland will make a call to inquire, but I doubt Ryan is very high on managements priority list this summer. :thumbdown:

Edited by motorcitykid

Unlikely he's ever gonna be a Wing. You know Holland will make a call to inquire, but I doubt Ryan is very high on managements priority list this summer. :thumbdown:

Are you going to be pursueing Smyth like you did Luongo last summer? :P

Guest bullocks

Are you going to be pursueing Smyth like you did Luongo last summer? :P

we should have got luongo instead of vancouver. for what they gave up, is almost laughable now. not to take anything away from hasek, but imagine luongo between the pipes this year. we'd all be jerking off right now with excitement :lol::clap:

we should have got luongo instead of vancouver. for what they gave up, is almost laughable now. not to take anything away from hasek, but imagine luongo between the pipes this year. we'd all be jerking off right now with excitement :lol::clap:

If we had picked up Luongo, that would have likely meant no Markov or Datsyuk--Markov would never have been signed, and Datsyuk would have been traded.

Would you rather that than having Hasek with Dats and Markov?

Guest bullocks

If we had picked up Luongo, that would have likely meant no Markov or Datsyuk--Markov would never have been signed, and Datsyuk would have been traded.

Would you rather that than having Hasek with Dats and Markov?

well markov i wouldn't mind...hasek i wouldnt either cuz hes a short term solution. i guess it's would u give up dats for luongo. i'd say yes. the best goalie in the world, the hardest spot to fill for a player with massive talent, and will be solid for years to come, but could be more easier replaced.