• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Rice

Ryan Smyth

Rate this topic

Jim Matheson:

The NY Islanders might offer up a considerable contract (7-8 years) to retain Ryan Smyth but Smyth may not wish to commit to a team for that long. Matheson lists the Avalanche, Rangers, Maple Leafs and Red Wings as having the best odds of signing Smyth, with the Isles and Stars both at 10-1. The Oilers are listed as 25-1.

Spector's Note: I don't see Smyth returning to Edmonton or re-signing with the Isles, as I think he'd prefer to sign with a Cup contender or one with a promising future of becoming one. The Wings could be very tempting, given their history.

I'd love to see the Wings sign Smyth but I don't think it's possible anymore. Datsyuk is locked up long-term and Zetterberg is going to be looking for a similar contract when he's a UFA in two years. I guess it hinges on what Lidstrom is planning to do down the road.

If we pick up Smith, we're back on our way to a dynasty hahaha

Its really a tight budget too, but I really think it'll bank on what happens with Bertuzzi and Schneider, and not so much Lidstrom.

Well, I'm saying you have Datsyuk locked up for five more years now. Say the Wings sign Smyth to a long term deal between $5-6 million. You've still got Lidstrom for another year at least at $7.6 million and Zetterberg is a free agent in two years. Then, you're looking at Lidstrom, Zetterberg, Smyth, and Datsyuk for about $27 million. That's assuming Zetterberg signs a deal similar to Datsyuk's and Smyth signs for $5.5 million. Thats 57% of the cap (assuming cap is upped to $48 million) on four guys. We could afford to sign Smyth next year but it could mess up the future plans.

Edited by ARice89

only way we can get smyth is if he gave us a deal , and i could kind of see that happening just to like give it to edmonton but i wouldnt count on it ........and only way it could happen is if we lock up say bertuzzi for 2 yrs 2.5 per .......ryan smyth 5 million per ( no longer then 4-5 yrs) .......and if lidstrom after 2 seasons when zetterberg's big deal will come is if he brings down his salary to at least 4.5-5 million per , i think its still a good salary for a 39-40 yr old lol

Bert will probably sign for 1.5-3 mil with incentives.

Schnieder could take a pay cut maybe.

its possible

Bert and Smyth would be amazing

I don't get you guys. Schneider probably won't get anything but payrise as he's scored 50+ points for the second consecutive year and it did only cost 3,6 million bucks. Look at Kubina, Kaberle, Jovanovski or McCabe and their salary (however, I don't think they're worth it). It'll be hard to sign Schneider even at his present salary.

And no way Smyth signs here as he's only a more skilled Holmstrom and we have to lock up Zetterberg in two years' time.

Edited by Bartek

I don't get you guys. Schneider probably won't get anything but payrise as he's scored 50+ points for the second consecutive year and it did only cost 3,6 million bucks. Look at Kubina, Kaberle, Jovanovski or McCabe and their salary (however, I don't think they're worth it). It'll be hard to sign Schneider even at his present salary.

And no way Smyth signs here as he's only a more skilled Holmstrom and we have to lock up Zetterberg in two years' time.

Schnieders not greedy like the defenceman you mentioned. To win a cup , he'd take a pay cut , Hell Brett Hull took a pay cut to win a cup. Anythings possible

Schnieders not greedy like the defenceman you mentioned. To win a cup , he'd take a pay cut , Hell Brett Hull took a pay cut to win a cup. Anythings possible

I hope so.

I'm all for keeping Schneider in Detroit as long as the price is reasonable. He's crucial to our PP.

Edited by Bartek

Theres a difference. 3 of those 4 players play on a team (Toronto) where the management is so stupid that they will pay these guys huge amounts of money because they feel free agent signings will keep the fans coming into the building. Kaberle is really the only decent one out of the three anyways. McCabe sucks, and Kubina is a pylon. The only reason these guys make what they do is because the Leafs management is that stupid to do it. Besides Kaberle, any other team with normal management would not pay these guys even half of what they make now.

Meanwhile, Jovanovski is probably one of the most injury prone players in the league. When he's healthy, he's worth every penny of what he makes. The problem is that he's never healthy enough to play good.

I'm sure Schneider will command money, but he wants to win a Cup, and if he stays here he has a good chance to do it. I'm sure he'd stay if it came down to that.

edited for grammar

Edited by Kp-Wings

Meanwhile, Jovanovski is probably one of the most injury prone players in the league. When he's healthy, he's worth every penny of what he makes. The problem is that he's never healthy enough to play good.

Jovo is worth about 10% of his salary when healthy. He's crap.

E.J. Hradek did a podcast for ESPN, and he predicts Smyth signing in Detroit. He's say's Smyth is looking for a good situation and is more interested in winning than breaking the bank. Apparently, he already turned down one of those ridiculous 30-year Islander contracts.

This seems almost too good to be true. I'd always assumed we'd never be able to afford Smyth. He'd be the perfect fit as the 2nd line center.

This seems almost too good to be true. I'd always assumed we'd never be able to afford Smyth. He'd be the perfect fit as the 2nd line center.

:blink:

E.J. Hradek did a podcast for ESPN, and he predicts Smyth signing in Detroit. He's say's Smyth is looking for a good situation and is more interested in winning than breaking the bank. Apparently, he already turned down one of those ridiculous 30-year Islander contracts.

This sounds promising as long as E.J. Hradek isn't AKA Eklund. :D

or you know, he could play on pavels line and we can see what exactly "the magician" does with a more skilled version of homer.
While I don't think we will get him, I give this a :thumbup::thumbup: .

I really want to see us keep Bertuzzi first and foremost.

While I don't think we will get him, I give this a :thumbup::thumbup: .

I really want to see us keep Bertuzzi first and foremost.

I agree , Smyth would be a great addition too the Wings forward line. but right now I want them to concentrate on getting Bert and Schnieds tied up then we'll see what they can afford.

I would take smyth in his current form over bert in his current form, sign both...the better, signing smyth would be fantastic

ryan smyth is just like holmstrom we don t need two homers we need some speed and size maybe a guerin to play with datsyuk

ryan smyth is just like holmstrom we don t need two homers we need some speed and size maybe a guerin to play with datsyuk

Smyths so much better then Guerin. Guerins not even that good of a player anymore , add in he's turning 37 and that gives me no logical reason if Im Ken Holland to sign him. Smyths 6'1 btw , thats size

smyth would be great....but face it people....we need someone that doesnt know anything but...

bury the puck.

score

score

score

brett hull style.

cruise the neutral zone and light the lamp.

we have a team full of playmakers and grinders, heart and soul....but no pure unadulterated...selfish...egotistical...its mine,mine all mine, type of goal scorer.

smyth would be great....but face it people....we need someone that doesnt know anything but...

bury the puck.

score

score

score

brett hull style.

cruise the neutral zone and light the lamp.

we have a team full of playmakers and grinders, heart and soul....but no pure unadulterated...selfish...egotistical...its mine,mine all mine, type of goal scorer.

and ryan smyth isn't that player either. Unfortunately those players we need arn't cheap.