• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RedWingAbner

Ref Sight and Whistles (the two goals)

Rate this topic

Ok, is it just me, or does it require you to be a ******* moron to be an official in the NHL?

The rule states that if you lose sight of the puck, you blow the whistle (hear me out here). So, assuming the refs had not lost sight of the puck on both of those goals, they should have been able to signal "goal" on the ice, correct?

They didn' signal goalt. So, they could not see the puck. Thus, the whistle should have been blown and the play would be dead. Remember in the "good old days" when refs would blow it dead with waving arms?

This officiating has brought me "out of the shadows," its been so bad. Hopefully Anaheim enjoys that gift of a win.

VERY VERY true and thats the only reason they won the game! they better enjoy it cuz the wings will come right back and take 2 in the Pond!

Yup ... (wings beat the best defensive and home team : Calgary Flames @ the s*** dome ... )

The rule states that if you lose sight of the puck, you blow the whistle (hear me out here). So, assuming the refs had not lost sight of the puck on both of those goals, they should have been able to signal "goal" on the ice, correct?

They didn' signal goalt. So, they could not see the puck. Thus, the whistle should have been blown and the play would be dead. Remember in the "good old days" when refs would blow it dead with waving arms?

This argument only works because of logic. Without that it makes no sense at all. :rolleyes:

The inconsistency in whistles is the only question I had regarding the third goal. The first goal was pretty obviously in right away.

I was noticing all night that the whistle seemed to be going the moment Dom touched the puck, and that was the only inconsistency I found with the tying goal--had the whistle gone when it was going on most of his saves, he only falls into the net after the whistle, and Wings win 3-2.

In fairness to the officials, Hasek didn't have control of the puck, it was lying on top of him, that was probably the reason why the whistle wasn't blown. The main issue is if he was pushed in or not. It was reviewed, and it was called a goal, nothing we can do but win Game 3.

Even if it wasn't called a goal, who knows if Anahiem would have tied it up or not? The way both teams are playing, this series should be tied.

Hasek's momentum was carrying himself into the net anyway. I think the Wings knew what was going on, or else there would have been a bigger argument about it.

Remember too, we only had 1 shot in OT, maybe 2. This series should be tied.

Guest MrSandMan

I'm not saying the Wings didnt play good. I'm saying the game was tied and there was nothing they could do about it. They had the rest of the third and OT to win, and they didnt.

Ducks won on pure luck. Despite our slow start... when we were on our game, we out played them.

Couple bad breaks for Detroit-

Holmstrom wide open net- didn't finish

Zetterberg wide open net- didn't finish

Dats beat jiggy in OT and missed by inches. Tough break.

This game could be 5-3 Wings- Ducks got their lucky win. Let them savor it, they won't get many more before out golfing.

In fairness to the officials, Hasek didn't have control of the puck, it was lying on top of him, that was probably the reason why the whistle wasn't blown. The main issue is if he was pushed in or not. It was reviewed, and it was called a goal, nothing we can do but win Game 3.

sure, that would make sense and would be understandable if the rule wasn't "losing sight of the puck." They should have blown the whistle and the goal shouldn't have counted. And yes, he was pushed in. We can lose game 3, but need to win game 4. If we don't split, it's over.

sure, that would make sense and would be understandable if the rule wasn't "losing sight of the puck." They should have blown the whistle and the goal shouldn't have counted. And yes, he was pushed in. We can lose game 3, but need to win game 4. If we don't split, it's over. If we play like we did in OT tonight, it's over.

Do I think it's over, NOPE... Do I think we'll split, YEP.

Holmstrom wide open net- didn't finish

Zetterberg wide open net- didn't finish

Dats beat jiggy in OT and missed by inches. Tough break.

Good therapy.

Read the above post 100x and then get ready for game 3.

Atleast I'll be able to watch game 5 on NBC now...

Tough loss today, but you can't expect to win them all. The refereeing may have been questionable, but its not why the Wings lost, they had their chances, but didn't capitalize. Lick the salt, take the shot, bite the lime and come back ready to kick ass in Anaheim. ;)

Guest GordieSid&Ted

I had a problem with the third Anaheim goal. I thought it should have been whistled too...but what can you do? The Wings had a chance to win it and didnt.

That 3rd goal was just lazy work ethic by the Wings. We had the lead and what did we do? We lose a defensive zone face off, nobody gets position on their guy and the Ducks get a saveable shot on goal and Niedermayer maybe helps it some but basically we got outworked for those 3 seconds and they eventually cost us the game. Can't lose faceoffs in your own zone and play like that.

That 3rd goal was just lazy work ethic by the Wings. We had the lead and what did we do? We lose a defensive zone face off, nobody gets position on their guy and the Ducks get a saveable shot on goal and Niedermayer maybe helps it some but basically we got outworked for those 3 seconds and they eventually cost us the game. Can't lose faceoffs in your own zone and play like that.

So, if it's that plain and simple, tell me how do you win a faceoff in your defensive zone? Do you have a certain recipe to win it in crucial moments like the end of 3rd period? Because as far as I know hockey and NHL, you usually win 1 out of 2 faceoffs, so maybe that was "the lost one"? It's not that easy winning faceoffs with the game on the line, man..

Anyway, Hasek got pushed into the net by Niedermayer or whoever it was from the Ducks..

Hasek's momentum was carrying himself into the net anyway. I think the Wings knew what was going on, or else there would have been a bigger argument about it.

Remember too, we only had 1 shot in OT, maybe 2. This series should be tied.

His momentum did put him in the net but not the puck. The puck didn't cross the line until Niedermayer's shoulder crashed into Haseks feet.

Just tough luck all around, especially on the goal where Niedermeyer pushed Dom into the goal. The whistle should have blown at the instant the ref could not see the puck, which was when Dominik made the save. If the ref had seen a goal, he would have signalled it immediately, I believe. The fact that he didn't signal a goal and waited for the puck to cross the line is what's irritating. It's obvious the puck was not in sight as it was in Hasek's pad and was only seen when it slid out and even the refs could see it - oh, gee, look, I guess it's a goal.. now! <_<

Officials are predictably slow or absent with whistles, along with calls for interference and roughing the goalie in the crease, when the goaltender is named Hasek and especially when said goalie is wearing a Wings sweater. Get used to it.

But, those are the breaks and good teams find a way to get past them. And the Wings willl do so. The Ducks can't really rely on the refs and sheer luck for the entire series. And the Wings need to play better, too. Can't play sloppy and expect Dom to do all the work... it's not realistic.

Edited by puckloo39

I don't want to wine, but I thought all of the calls were bad. I thought they missed a few calls on the ducks and called some realy bad calls on the wings. And the two guys announcing were pathetic. I think that if some one gave them a choice of eatting a ham sandwich and sucking any of the duck's d***'s they would suck the d***. When the duck's were up 1-0 they kept saying how amazing they are they are soo good. It was 1-0 and they were acting like it was over. Then it was tied they were doing it again. It was pissing my wife off so bad she didn't evan want to watch any more.

I thought McDonald's goal was a good one. Hard drive to the net by Perry and get the rebound. The 2nd goal was absolutely horrendous. The ref just stands there like a dumb f*** and doesn't do anything. Call a goal or no goal. Do something. Blow the whistle for christ's sake. Then Hasek gets pushed into the net and still no whistle and they call it a goal. WOW. Not only did he get pushed but going by the rule there was no conclusive evidence that the puck even crossed the line. Of course we all knew it did but you couldn't tell for sure. What an absolute joke. I don't understand how the ref just stood there looking and doing nothing at all.

Anyone else notice all the obstruction the Ducks were getting away with, especially on Pavel?

Every time Dats dumped the puck in he was basically being checked and forced to fight his way around the Duck D to get to the puck. I was getting so pissed.

Im sure we got away with some as well, but man i noticed a ton on the ducks not being called.

Anyone else notice all the obstruction the Ducks were getting away with, especially on Pavel?

Every time Dats dumped the puck in he was basically being checked and forced to fight his way around the Duck D to get to the puck. I was getting so pissed.

Im sure we got away with some as well, but man i noticed a ton on the ducks not being called.

I noticed it, I thought the "new NHL" was supposed to showcase skill-players (Zetterberg, Datsyuk) by letting them play free from obstruction. The officiating is consistent in that you can count on it being completely inconsistent.

Also Lilja's "roughing" penalty?

Edited by Izzy24

I noticed it, I thought the "new NHL" was supposed to showcase skill-players (Zetterberg, Datsyuk) by letting them play free from obstruction. The officiating is consistent in that you can count on it being completely inconsistent.

Also Lilja's "roughing" penalty?

Exactly the "new NHL" was supposed to help out the skill players, but all i see so far is it handicapping them. Call it one way or the other, all we ask for is some damn consistency.

I missed Lilja's roughing penalty, but the announcers did say it was cheap.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

So, if it's that plain and simple, tell me how do you win a faceoff in your defensive zone? Do you have a certain recipe to win it in crucial moments like the end of 3rd period? Because as far as I know hockey and NHL, you usually win 1 out of 2 faceoffs, so maybe that was "the lost one"? It's not that easy winning faceoffs with the game on the line, man..

Anyway, Hasek got pushed into the net by Niedermayer or whoever it was from the Ducks..

WOW!, thanks for your insight. I never knew faceoffs were hard to win. I always thought the Wings were guaranteed to win.

The point isn't that the faceoff was lost braniac. How'd Niedermayer get to Hasek? He got inside position on his man, that's how. You're going to lose faceoffs in your own zone. What you can't afterwards is let your opponent get positioning on you. It was a bad play all round by us and it cost us the game tying goal. Now go bark up another tree.