• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
toby91_ca

Hasek Save on Getzlaf

Rate this topic

I missed most of the first and third periods last night due to my own hockey game to play, so I am not sure if this has been discussed.

When I look at The Frozen Moment and check the replays of this save (one of the saves in the nhl.com video highlights), I don't understand how Hasek got away with throwing his stick.

Was this discussed at all during the game by announcers, during intermission, on here? I haven't heard it discussed at all, but he clearly threw his stick.

Just trying to be non-biased here, because I have seen so much of everyone complaining about non-calls on whatever team the Wings are playing, or phantom calls against the Wings....they certainly got away with one here, which theoretically could have been a penalty shot (not sure if it would have gone that far, haven't checked the rule).

I missed most of the first and third periods last night due to my own hockey game to play, so I am not sure if this has been discussed.

When I look at The Frozen Moment and check the replays of this save (one of the saves in the nhl.com video highlights), I don't understand how Hasek got away with throwing his stick.

Was this discussed at all during the game by announcers, during intermission, on here? I haven't heard it discussed at all, but he clearly threw his stick.

Just trying to be non-biased here, because I have seen so much of everyone complaining about non-calls on whatever team the Wings are playing, or phantom calls against the Wings....they certainly got away with one here, which theoretically could have been a penalty shot (not sure if it would have gone that far, haven't checked the rule).

No Toby, nobody here has mentioned that. I touched on it in another post, didnt complain cause its not what I do. He did throw the stick at Getz and got away with it. He also flopped back ending up in his net but everyone here blames Niedermayer for drilling him into the net (do you know what your coach says?). Depends on which glasses you watched the game with as to wether or not Dominator got away with one.

I'm not positive he threw it. Dom has a tendency to let go of his stick to make a play with his buffer hand, and I think this is what he was trying to do here.

I'm not positive he threw it. Dom has a tendency to let go of his stick to make a play with his buffer hand, and I think this is what he was trying to do here.

He's on his back?????????????????????????

Whether Dom intentionally meant to let go of his stick or not is irrelevant in this case. The fact of the matter is that Dom was moving to his side to make the save, and his stick came out. When I get home tonight, I'm going to watch the replay at greater length to make my conclusion. I was entertaining company during the game last night, and unfortunately, wasn't able to hit the rewind button on my DVR as much as I would have liked. The Vs. announcers made mention of Dom possibly getting his stick kicked out by Getzlaf, but also stated that Dom might have let it go on purpose without Getslaft even touching it. I'll take a look closer tonight.

That being said, Dom made the save with his glove hand anyway, and the stick didn't affect Getzlaf's shot. I'm not saying it wasn't illegal if thats what happened, but its just worth mentioning that he wouldn't have scored even if Dom's stick wasn't in question.

Let's be real here, Dom knows exactly what he is doing there. Sometimes he gets away with and I'm sure sometimes he doesn't.

The Vs. announcers made mention of Dom possibly getting his stick kicked out by Getzlaf, but also stated that Dom might have let it go on purpose without Getslaft even touching it. I'll take a look closer tonight.

That being said, Dom made the save with his glove hand anyway, and the stick didn't affect Getzlaf's shot. I'm not saying it wasn't illegal if thats what happened, but its just worth mentioning that he wouldn't have scored even if Dom's stick wasn't in question.

To be honest, I think Dom is extremely clever, he knows that in a play like that, you may be able to get away with that and have some think your stick got kicked out, but if you watch the replays, it is pretty clear that Getzlaf had nothing to do with Dom losing his stick.

Also, I don't think the stick not impacting the result of the shot really matters, but I could be wrong.

Guest MrSandMan

Regardless of throwing the stick, Dom made the save either way.

Let's be real here, Dom knows exactly what he is doing there. Sometimes he gets away with and I'm sure sometimes he doesn't.

To be honest, I think Dom is extremely clever, he knows that in a play like that, you may be able to get away with that and have some think your stick got kicked out, but if you watch the replays, it is pretty clear that Getzlaf had nothing to do with Dom losing his stick.

Point taken, and I'll check tonight in great detail.

Also, I don't think the stick not impacting the result of the shot really matters, but I could be wrong.

No, the stick not impacting the result of the shot doesn't matter, and that's why I posted it the way I did in my previous post.

Was it not clear?

See below:

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

Was it not clear?

No, it was clear. My problem is that others, as you can see, have stated that it doesn't matter, he made the save, when in fact, I think that play probably results in a penalty shot.

If the same play happened "during a penalty shot", I think there would be an automatic goal awarded.

Lick 'em Getzlaf!

IPB Image

:rotflmao:

No, it was clear. My problem is that others, as you can see, have stated that it doesn't matter, he made the save, when in fact, I think that play probably results in a penalty shot.

If the same play happened "during a penalty shot", I think there would be an automatic goal awarded.

Gotcha

He makes the best snow angels.

Getzlaf15: He may look like a complete idiot when his snow angels do not go well and he doesn't stop the puck, but fact is, he stops the puck more often then not, so....it works, what is there to really argue.

If he played a more normal style, maybe he is only an average goalie, but he is obviously one of the all time best and if he plays a crazy style, so be it.

Yes sir, you are correct:

The goalkeeper may attempt to stop the shot in any manner except by throwing his stick or any object, in which case a goal shall be awarded

NHL Rulebook: Rule # 30

I think the a interference penatly would have been awarded, not a penalty shot:

Assess a minor penalty for interference if the stick or other object is thrown or shot at the puck or the puck carrier in the defending zone, but does not interfere in any manner with the puck or the puck carrier

NHL Rulebook: Rule # 88

Edited by Elshupacabra

Guest MrSandMan

And there was about 1-million non-calls on the other side too. I'd suggest not dwelling on the past and move on... I think enough "unfair" / "shouldn't have been a goal" / "bad calls" / "penalty shots" have been hammered out enough on the board. It is what is it is. Move on. :ph34r:

Getzlaf15 Posted Today, 05:53 PM: He makes the best snow angels.

He sure does.

IPB Image

I got this idea from one of the sharks threads, and borrowed an image from the ducks thread. Credit where it is due. Thanks

Guest Crymson

Hasek always drops his stick on breakaway saves. He did deliberately throw it toward Getzlaf, nor did the stick impede Getzlaf's progress. That's probably why it was not called.

Hasek always drops his stick on breakaway saves. He did NOT deliberately throw it toward Getzlaf, nor did the stick impede Getzlaf's progress. That's probably why it was not called.

fixed it, Crym... you meant "not" I take it? They will quote you on it, you know!! :rolleyes:

Smellrose mentioned it on sportcenter last night, before praising the save.

Whether or not Dom's stick actually touch the puck or Getz's stick doesn't matter, the simple fact that Dom threw it is enough for a penalty. Also, remember that the stick could have forced Getz into take a shot he didn't want, or pulling the puck further outside than he wanted to.

It doesn't really matter, the Duckies got an even up call when Scotty N. push Hasek into the net. Would Dom have slid into the net under his own motion? Who knows, but you can't deny Scotty pushed him.

One more thing, if Cheli isn't there, Dom makes the save on the second goal.