• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

13dats

Game 3: Kopecky in, Calder out

Rate this topic

Red Wings forward Kyle Calder will be benched for Game 3 on Tuesday in favor of Tomas Kopecky.

Calder hasn’t seen much ice time in the first two games against Anaheim, playing only 7:57 minutes in the first two games of the Western Conference finals. He has only one point this postseason, an assist in Game 5 against Calgary in the first round of the playoffs.

Kopecky hasn’t played since Dec. 14, when he suffered a broken collarbone against the Chicago Blackhawks.

Calder is obviously hurt, so this is a good move. However, Kopecky is going to be rusty. I think the only reason he gets the go over Hudler is that he's a big body. I'm guessing Kopecky is in when the Wings play in Anaheim and Hudler plays in Detroit, similar to the Calgary series.

(from TSN)

Tomas Kopecky

HT: 6-3 WT: 187

26 GP, 0G, 1A, +/- of -2 and 22PIM

Assets Has a very projectable frame, sound two-way instincts and plenty of scoring potential. Is also a versatile forward in the Red Wings mold.

Flaws Must add significant bulk in order to make his mark on the NHL. Has a tendency to take games off, which won't cut it in the big league.

Career potential Third line winger.

After Calder was basically invisible (don't blame the guy since he apparently has a broken hand) it will be interesting to see what a HEALTHY, yet inexperienced guy can do in there. (living in CO I've never seen Kopecky play so I posted TSN's quick overview for those in my situation).

Edited by Wings_Fan_In_Exile

I'm kind of suprised they are just throwing kopecky back into the mix right away considering we haven't seen him since december as opposed to putting hudler in. I'm not opposed to it though, hopefully this will pay off.

Guest bullocks

I'm kind of suprised they are just throwing kopecky back into the mix right away considering we haven't seen him since december as opposed to putting hudler in. I'm not opposed to it though, hopefully this will pay off.

he's been healthy for well over a month...if calder does have a problem hand, it makes no sence for him to fart around out there...kopecky will prolly only play like 5 mins anyways.

I would rather see Hudler get a shot, but Kopecky isn't a bad move either. I feel bad for Calder just because the guy has to be hurt right now, and he got off to such a good start in Detroit. Needless to say, I can't see Kopecky being all that effective, but maybe he can provide some energy from the fourth line.

We can't say that it's a dumb move or a smart move until we see Peck play, however, if they feel that he can play in the WCF after that long of an absence, I am cautiously optimistic that he can contribute. From what I remember, he plays gritty and pisses people off, something that the Wings will need in a pro-Duck environment affecting the referee's decision making.

Pretty much agreeing with everyone else that this is a good choice. I am concerned however at how he is going to respond to the playoff pressure. At least Hudler is used to it at this point.

It really is a shame that Calder broke his hand.. Imagine if we had him playing like he was when we first got him :(

Edited by omnipotent_hudler

Guest bullocks

Pretty much agreeing with everyone else that this is a good choice. I am concerned however at how he is going to respond to the playoff pressure. At least Hudler is used to it at this point.

It really is a shame that Calder broke his hand.. Imagine if we had him playing like he was when we first got him :(

saying calder has a broken hand is all hearsay, until i see some proof...i wont believe it.

Kopecky was looking really impressive before he went down..... This isn't going to have a negative effect on anything as Calder was only playing 4 minutes a game anyways.....

I would have preferred to see Hudler in, but we'll see how Kopecky does.... If anything, the mere fact that Calder has been taken out opens the door for Rex to get back in if Kopecky falters....

:crybaby:

WHY are all my faves always jinxed. What is this s***.

Bullocks- Calder DOES have a broken hand. It was mentioned right after the Flames series and it was quite obvious as he was holding his hand down, and shaking with his other in line of the handshakes. What proof do you need? Want him to show you his hand or something? I mean come on peeps..it's completely obvious.