• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
livediehockey80

Kudos to the Ottawa Senators

Rate this topic

They finally made it! Finally. After many years of early playoff exits, the Senators have reached the Stanley Cup Finals. I know Ottawa fans are passionate about their team and they must be pumped right now. I think many Leafs and Habs fans are secretly pulling for the Sens just out of national pride.

Whatever team that comes out of the Western Conference Finals...that team will have their hands full. Ducks or Wings fans should not take the Senators lightly. Holy crap, this team has tremendous depth and talent. Definitely more than Anaheim that's for sure.

I hope we see a thread called "Tell Me Why I Shouldn't Be Concerned about Ottawa". But I have to tell you that the concerns are near infinite...

Alfredsson

Spezza

Heatley

Redden

Fisher

Neil

Emery

Only TWO playoff losses to this point. They basically demolished the President's Trophy winners in the conference finals. They pummeled a perennial powerhouse called the New Jersey Devils. They silenced the Great Sid the Kid and the upstart Penguins.

5-on-5 or special teams: I don't see how the Wings can match up with the Senators. I honestly don't. Anaheim would be better competition but I think Ottawa could dispatch the Ducks in 5 or 6 games easy.

Guest bullocks

Ottawa beat a penguin team with no defense or goaltending...they beat a new jersey team with no offence and no goaltending...atleast he didn't show up...buffalo hasn't looked good all post-season...i mean, they almost lost to the rangers for f*** sakes...what ottawa did against them is somewhat impressive. but do i think they could have beat san jose? no....anaheim? no...detroit? maybe.

theyve won 3 games in the conference finals. the series isnt over. Wait to talk about how great they are until theyve actually made it to the finals.

i felt the need to say that even though i basically quoted the person above me.

Hmmm... I thought Game Four was tomorrow, but I guess I overlooked that. Ottawa is a very good team, but don't you think they should at least clinch first before we discuss this?

And what are the odds of an NHL team coming back 0-3 in a series?

I thought we all agreed that the East was by far the weaker conference.

Ah, yeah...funny because Carolina in 2006, Tampa Bay in 2004, and New Jersey in 2003 didn't get that memo about how superior the Western Conference is.

It happened twice

http://www.whowins.com/features/comeback.html

i say the odds of the sabres beating the sens 4 straight times though is about 5%. And thats just because I think Miller has been amazing and the only bright spot for the sabres all playoffs. if their top line comes out, they might be able to steal a couple games.

While I agree that it is still early, I am glad to see some fans seeing this team like the Sens fans have been seeing them throughout the playoffs. They have been the best team since December of 2006.

Also, I would add Volchenkov and Phillips to the list of players that have played VERY well...Volchenkov blocked 11 shots on the Saturday night game. (both players are in the top two in the post season in blocked shots)

I don't know what will happen going forward but as a Senators fan this was a long time coming and great to see the team playing to its potential and getting offense from all areas...Defense chipping in goals and goals from 15 different players.

Look forward to what comes next!

Edited by ladybugblue

Ah, yeah...funny because Carolina in 2006, Tampa Bay in 2004, and New Jersey in 2003 didn't get that memo about how superior the Western Conference is.

don't forget the last 3 years the western conference team that made it to the finals was a low seed. 8th seed in at least 2 of those cases. That alone tells me that the West let weak teams get to the finals the last 3 years. This year it's actually going to be a 1 or 2 seed against a number 4 seed in the east. Regular season performance isn't as entirely irrellevant as you might think when it comes to the playoffs. Some teams can get a good streak going and blow it when faced with a challenge, ala flames, ducks, oilers of the the last 3 west conference winners.

The odds of coming back from being down 0-3 are a lot better than 0-4. Let them finish the series off before we proclaim Ottawa the greatest team ever created.

Edited by GoWings1905

So when the NUMBER 1 Seed NHL Franchise of the Universe...Detroit Red Wings...gets knocked out in the first round by number 8 teams, that shows how weak the Ducks, Flames, and Oilers were in the Finals?

I seem recall the "inferior" Ducks, Flames and Oilers taking their opponents to the brink with Game Sevens across the board. They didn't "blow it" in the Finals. Losing 4-0 in the Finals is blowing it.

The Eastern Conference is more balanced against the West than you think.

don't forget the last 3 years the western conference team that made it to the finals was a low seed. 8th seed in at least 2 of those cases. That alone tells me that the West let weak teams get to the finals the last 3 years. This year it's actually going to be a 1 or 2 seed against a number 4 seed in the east. Regular season performance isn't as entirely irrellevant as you might think when it comes to the playoffs. Some teams can get a good streak going and blow it when faced with a challenge, ala flames, ducks, oilers of the the last 3 west conference winners.

Props to Ottawa for a terrific playoff run so far, but the fact is playing in the Western Conference is much tougher. The teams are much more physical, the goalies are better, and travel has a huge effect on teams as well. While the Senators took care of business, I can guarantee whoever comes out from the West will give them a heck of a series. The only trouble is Ottawa will be well-rested, and honestly they really haven't been challenged at all in these playoffs. By the time all of the teams in the West beat-up and destroy each other, the winner of the East is left with fresh legs and an advantage in the Finals. If you think playing the Penguins, Devils, and Sabres is the same challenge as the Flames, Sharks, and Ducks, you are sorely mistaking.

They finally made it! Finally. After many years of early playoff exits, the Senators have reached the Stanley Cup Finals. I know Ottawa fans are passionate about their team and they must be pumped right now. I think many Leafs and Habs fans are secretly pulling for the Sens just out of national pride.

Whatever team that comes out of the Western Conference Finals...that team will have their hands full. Ducks or Wings fans should not take the Senators lightly. Holy crap, this team has tremendous depth and talent. Definitely more than Anaheim that's for sure.

I hope we see a thread called "Tell Me Why I Shouldn't Be Concerned about Ottawa". But I have to tell you that the concerns are near infinite...

Alfredsson

Spezza

Heatley

Redden

Fisher

Neil

Emery

Only TWO playoff losses to this point. They basically demolished the President's Trophy winners in the conference finals. They pummeled a perennial powerhouse called the New Jersey Devils. They silenced the Great Sid the Kid and the upstart Penguins.

5-on-5 or special teams: I don't see how the Wings can match up with the Senators. I honestly don't. Anaheim would be better competition but I think Ottawa could dispatch the Ducks in 5 or 6 games easy.

First off, don't count you chickens before they are hatched. Teams have come back from 0-3 before. It isn't likely, but it is possible.

As far as the East-West thing goes, I think top to bottom the West is much much stronger than the East. The past few years, the Western rep was beat up by the time the finals came around. There are more weak teams in the East than the West.

Hmmm... I thought Game Four was tomorrow, but I guess I overlooked that. Ottawa is a very good team, but don't you think they should at least clinch first before we discuss this?

Yeah. Good chance they're gonna come back from 3 down. :blush:

the problem with ottawa is that they are getting most of their scoring from their first line. I believe that lidstrom and the draper line can do a pretty good job shutting them down. If we can put some pucks in the net i think it could be a pretty good series.

im not putting the wings into the finals already. We have a hard road ahead of us before we even think about the finals.

Are you serious?? Even the biggest of morons know that the only reason that the East has been so dominant lately is because the few decent Eastern teams can coast through the playoffs til the Stanley Cup finals.

Carolina barely beat Buffalo for christ sake, and Buffalo was missing literally HALF their defense and they BARELY beat Edmonton. Had Edmonton not had to put up with teams like Detroit, San Jose, and Anaheim, they wouldve come into the finals a lot more fresh than they were.

As for the Senators this year, exactly what adversity have they faced? Their biggest obstacle so far has been Marty Brodeur who was playing more like Manny Legace. Theyve faced easy teams and have suffered few setbacks and even fewer injuries.

I think that who ever comes out of the West, outside of a ton of injurys, will walk all over Ottawa, I don't think they have much of a chance against the Wings or the Ducks. But this is the playoffs and anything can happen.

That's what I'm saying. The West has blown it and the Wings have not helped.

Are you serious?? Even the biggest of morons know that the only reason that the East has been so dominant lately is because the few decent Eastern teams can coast through the playoffs til the Stanley Cup finals.

Carolina barely beat Buffalo for christ sake, and Buffalo was missing literally HALF their defense and they BARELY beat Edmonton. Had Edmonton not had to put up with teams like Detroit, San Jose, and Anaheim, they wouldve come into the finals a lot more fresh than they were.

As for the Senators this year, exactly what adversity have they faced? Their biggest obstacle so far has been Marty Brodeur who was playing more like Manny Legace. Theyve faced easy teams and have suffered few setbacks and even fewer injuries.

Glad I'm not the only one with any common sense.

I think that who ever comes out of the West, outside of a ton of injurys, will walk all over Ottawa, I don't think they have much of a chance against the Wings or the Ducks. But this is the playoffs and anything can happen.

I agree almost 100%. The East usually doesn't play defense. The reason I can't fully agree is because Ottawa is shutting down the best offense in the NHL. That's gotta say something.