• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Filppula41

Kronwall to skate on Saturday

Rate this topic

From M Live:

Wings defenseman Niklas Kronwall, out since breaking his sacrum (lower backbone) on March 30, said he's planning to skate on his own on Saturday. He went on the ice for a couple of minutes last week but felt sore and stiff. Kronwall isn't giving up hope that he'll be able to play if the Wings reach the Stanley Cup finals. "No one's definitely told me the season's over,'' Kronwall said. "As long as no one one's telling me that, there's still a chance, and I'm going to try to do everything I can to get back out there.''

I suppose a lot will depend on when the next series starts, which will likely be Saturday the 26th. Thats pretty much a week and a half away, which could be pushing it to say the least. Maybe he could return midway through the next round if the Wings are still rockin'.

If the Wings make it to the SCF, the latest start date would be 5/31. I just don't see how a guy with that kind of injury could come back in only 2 months and be in game shape. I think it's quite a stretch for him not only to come back, but also be in game shape, and not be a liability out there. Kronner, just get healthy for next season.

I suppose a lot will depend on when the next series starts, which will likely be Saturday the 26th. Thats pretty much a week and a half away, which could be pushing it to say the least. Maybe he could return midway through the next round if the Wings are still rockin'.

It would be nice to add some depth right about now....

If the Wings make it to the SCF, the latest start date would be 5/31. I just don't see how a guy with that kind of injury could come back in only 2 months and be in game shape. I think it's quite a stretch for him not only to come back, but also be in game shape, and not be a liability out there. Kronner, just get healthy for next season.

I agree.

Although at the moment I'm entirely focused on Game 3 and the rest of the series, but its' good to hear he's at least getting better. That's a nasty injury.

Edited by Wings_Fan_In_Exile

You do know that the recovery period for the injury is 6-8 weeks, right?

At any rate, it would be nice to see Kronner back, even if it was Game 3 of the Stanley Cup finals.

You do know that the recovery period for the injury is 6-8 weeks, right?

At any rate, it would be nice to see Kronner back, even if it was Game 3 of the Stanley Cup finals.

Yes, that's the recovery time before he can start to really skate again. Tack on another 2-3 weeks to get into any kind of game shape, and that doesn't include how much time it would take for him to get to gme speed. Also, the back isn't something to mess with. He should sit and let it heal. It's pretty far fetched that he could be effective at all. With his injury history, I say let it fully heal, and come back strong next season.

Yes, that's the recovery time before he can start to really skate again. Tack on another 2-3 weeks to get into any kind of game shape, and that doesn't include how much time it would take for him to get to gme speed. Also, the back isn't something to mess with. He should sit and let it heal. It's pretty far fetched that he could be effective at all. With his injury history, I say let it fully heal, and come back strong next season.

Its not a back injury by any means in the traditional sense. We arent talking about a Zetterberg/Bertuzzi back injury. We're talking about a broken sacrum. As for him skating on Saturday, thatll give him about 2 weeks of conditioning before he can enter into the lineup. As for him being up to game speed, that never happens until you actually play in a game.

Its not a back injury by any means in the traditional sense. We arent talking about a Zetterberg/Bertuzzi back injury. We're talking about a broken sacrum. As for him skating on Saturday, thatll give him about 2 weeks of conditioning before he can enter into the lineup. As for him being up to game speed, that never happens until you actually play in a game.

Any back injury can lead to more back injuries, moreso than any other type of injury would lead to a similar injury. He briefly skated on Saturday, he left with a stiffback and soreness. He is in no way close to coming back. Like I said before, the latest starting date for the SCF would be the 5/31. A more likely start would be 5/27 (if both confrence finals go 7 games). With the 27th as a starting date, the finals would be over the 6/7 if it went 7 games.

It's true, you don't get to game speed until you play in a game. But the Griffins aren't playing, so the only place for him to get into game speed is with the Wings. I wouldn't want to put him in the SCF so he can get his game speed back. No thanks, I'll keep Quincey, he is doing a fine job.

Not too shabby of news, but until I see more of active practices, being able to throw the body around (to an extent obviously, want to be cautious), and so forth, I'm not going to get too far ahead of myself. Cautiously optimistic that Kronwall can come back, but not expecting him to until I learn more.

ugh, I'm actually taking this as bad news if this is the first time hes been able to skate on his own. If we get to the SCFs and it goes past 5 games, then maybe, just maybe he'll get some ice time, but I think we should just appreciate how solid Quincy has been so far and look forward to that in the next couple games.

It would be very nice to see him back. He would strengthen our team even more. Just replace Quincey in the 3rd pairing and not too big role too fast. Just eat some minutes away from others.

Edited by Henkka

I like that Kronner is getting healthy. While I don't think rushing him back to play in the SCF after missing so much time is a good idea, but what if someone else gets injured on the Wings blueline? It'd just be nice to have him there in case something happens...

get Kronwall back if he's in good shape and kick Lebda out. Quincey definitely stays in my book. he's neither physically manhandled nor prone to such turnovers as Lebda is. that would be a very bad choice to keep Lebda and not Quincey