• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Matt

WCF Post-GAME 3 (5/15): Red Wings 5, Ducks 0

Rate this topic

Babcock made some awesome lineup changes and it seemed to fix everything tonight.

You called it after the Sharks series, and it rings true now - I like Mike.

Aw, Homer. I'm still fuming over that hit. I want to see Pronger sit...and it won't happen.

Glad to see Bert work his way into the rotation. When's Nick gonna get his due? :D

Great game. I thought Dom was great early in the first before the Wings took over and just crushed the Ducks, and stupendous late to preserve the shutout. Think he was a little lonely in that middle stanza? :P Probably just drawing up plans to foil McDonald in his head.

******* Tomas Holmstrom. More and more he's becoming my favorite Wing. How clutch, big game, determined, menacing, bad ass can a guy be? We would be nothing if not for Homer. God bless you, Demolition Man.

How the hell does a team that lost 5-0 get a star?

And how does Hasek not get one? He was magnificent in the first period and he had a few huge ones late....

-Tim

Hasek doesn't get a star because he didn't have to do anything for long stretches of the game. When he did he was over-selling it - "LOOK AT ME! I'M PLAYING HOCKEY!" Please. He could have been asleep for long stretches of the game and it wouldn't have mattered.

I think this game shows why Detroit will win this series and quite possibly the cup: they adjust. I didnt' believe it until they took out the Sharks handily. A couple of games to get their bearings, then it was done. The Ducks, like the Sharks, play a great game of hockey, but they don't have the range of the Wings - both teams play A great game of hockey. Singular. This is a great way to win in the regular season, but in the playoffs, where there there are at least 4 games in a row, this isn't enough. Especially against Detroit the way they've been playing.

[it hurts me to say this, by the way.]

Babcock and the team adjusted their game. The Ducks will have to answer, but I don't think they can. There will probalby be at least one more win for them, based on raw talent or Hasek having a bad game, but unless the Ducks can come up with some range that they haven't shown as of yet, they're done for. I've seen enough of them this season to know that their game ranges from what they've put on the ice so far to that game plus some goonery. I honestly think the Sharks were more capable of throwing different looks out there on the ice and they couldn't pull it off. The Ducks could surprise me, but I just can't see it.

The only issue is how many Wings they'll take out on their way home, and that's no small thing. I forget his name (McMurty?), but I've seen the ref with the mustache call a few games for the Ducks at this point and he always calls them tight because he's seen their game. I don't know how the NHL rotates their refs, but I don't imagine he'll be out for more than at best one of the games left in this series. Still, any games he's on the ice for is to Detroit's advantage. The previous two are proof how much that matters.

Agreed - Pronger will get the benefit of the doubt, which he doesn't deserve.

That's his @#!$%! career in a nutshell. He makes some great plays, but not enough to justify the golden child status. Not that anyone should be above the rules, but you can sort of understand why some player might be. Just not him.

excuses for the ducks, four goals, Homer's hit, and Hasek's saves... must have been a bitter pill for Smellrose (Duck Fan BTW)

That F*cker Melrose said in so many words that Homer's a "marked man" and he "knows it's coming". What a complete f*cking ass. When I email Bettman tomorrow - I'll be sure to add Melrose to the list. Guess I won't get much work done but, I'm fumed. :flamingmad:

As far as the Ducks' pathetic play. I'm guessing all the praise they're getting went right to their heads. Everyone picked them to win, everyone thinks they're better, everyone thinks they're bigger, stronger, faster, etc etc. . I heard several analysts this morning say Detroit wouldn't win another game this series. They forgot they have to come out and play the game to win

Way to go Wings - that was just an awesome effort by Babcock and the guys. Cannot give them enough credit. :D

Hasek doesn't get a star because he didn't have to do anything for long stretches of the game. When he did he was over-selling it - "LOOK AT ME! I'M PLAYING HOCKEY!" Please. He could have been asleep for long stretches of the game and it wouldn't have mattered.

I think this game shows why Detroit will win this series and quite possibly the cup: they adjust. I didnt' believe it until they took out the Sharks handily. A couple of games to get their bearings, then it was done. The Ducks, like the Sharks, play a great game of hockey, but they don't have the range of the Wings - both teams play A great game of hockey. Singular. This is a great way to win in the regular season, but in the playoffs, where there there are at least 4 games in a row, this isn't enough. Especially against Detroit the way they've been playing.

[it hurts me to say this, by the way.]

Babcock and the team adjusted their game. The Ducks will have to answer, but I don't think they can. There will probalby be at least one more win for them, based on raw talent or Hasek having a bad game, but unless the Ducks can come up with some range that they haven't shown as of yet, they're done for. I've seen enough of them this season to know that their game ranges from what they've put on the ice so far to that game plus some goonery. I honestly think the Sharks were more capable of throwing different looks out there on the ice and they couldn't pull it off. The Ducks could surprise me, but I just can't see it.

The only issue is how many Wings they'll take out on their way home, and that's no small thing. I forget his name (McMurty?), but I've seen the ref with the mustache call a few games for the Ducks at this point and he always calls them tight because he's seen their game. I don't know how the NHL rotates their refs, but I don't imagine he'll be out for more than at best one of the games left in this series. Still, any games he's on the ice for is to Detroit's advantage. The previous two are proof how much that matters.

I don't know if you're a duck fan or not, but nice post and analysis.

What I don't get is that the Ducks have a great team. So they get down in a game - so what? I know they're "physical" and took more majors than any other team this year - but it's one game in a series. I'm actually quite shocked at the lack of discipline. I think that doesn't carry over well for the team that starts playing that way. It is possible to come back from 0-3 or 0-4. Unlikely, but there is a next game and they're only down one game. I guess I'm really disappointed in how that team reacted. Now I have to worry as a wings fan about one of my guys getting seriously injured - instead of watching the great hockey in this series that we had been seeing until tonight.

That F*cker Melrose said in so many words that Homer's a "marked man" and he "knows it's coming". What a complete f*cking ass. When I email Bettman tomorrow - I'll be sure to add Melrose to the list. Guess I won't get much work done but, I'm fumed. :flamingmad:

As far as the Ducks' pathetic play. I'm guessing all the praise they're getting went right to their heads. Everyone picked them to win, everyone thinks they're better, everyone thinks they're bigger, stronger, faster, etc etc. . I heard several analysts this morning say Detroit wouldn't win another game this series. They forgot they have to come out and play the game to win

Way to go Wings - that was just an awesome effort by Babcock and the guys. Cannot give them enough credit. :D

You know what, Im just happy that weve knocked off two ignorant dumb-ass groups so far: The "Ducks in 4" group, and the "Ducks in 5" group.

How many analysts called for those numbers? Upwards of 50% easily.

I just got home from the game and our seats were 14 rows from the ice. It was so much fun to be there in person and witness that slaughtering. Aside from the two guys next to us and like one or two guys down belowe, we were surrounded by ducks fan, so it made every goal that much better haha.

Also, Great game by Bertuzzi by far his best game of the series he drew penalties, went to the net, found open people, had some good checks, great all-around game.

Talk about a dominating game! This was probably the best all around game the Wings have played all post season, and that is saying a lot because they've been great many, many times.

What can you say about Homer that hasn't already been said? The guy is beyond phenomenal and such a HUGE part of this team.

Soooo happy Bert scored tonight! He absolutely deserved it. Played one of his best games yet.

Jen, he definitely deserved being on your sig!

Dom was fantastic as well!

What a play/moves by Flip on the Homer goal. Man is little Flip skilled or what?

Everyone just played a great game.

My 3 Stars?

1.Babcock :D

2.Homer

3.Hasek

Oh, and Pronger better get suspended. It should in no way be based on the fact that because Homer came back, that he Pronger shouldn't be given one game. It was a dirty as hell hit and he should sit out.

Wings are winning the next game as well. I feel it.

GO WINGS!!!!!!!

Edited by HockeyCrazy3033

I don't know if you're a duck fan or not, but nice post and analysis.

Sharks, thank you very much.

What I don't get is that the Ducks have a great team. So they get down in a game - so what? I know they're "physical" and took more majors than any other team this year - but it's one game in a series. I'm actually quite shocked at the lack of discipline. I think that doesn't carry over well for the team that starts playing that way. It is possible to come back from 0-3 or 0-4. Unlikely, but there is a next game and they're only down one game. I guess I'm really disappointed in how that team reacted. Now I have to worry as a wings fan about one of my guys getting seriously injured - instead of watching the great hockey in this series that we had been seeing until tonight.

This is their MO, and I don't get it either. They beat the sharks 5 out of 8 during the season, and more than one of those were because they played incredible hockey. When they lost was when it turned ugly really fast. I want to like them for the moments of excellence, but then you get the games like this one and it's hard to respect them as a team.

Selane, Getzlaf, and MacDonald are great players. Pahlson (probably a misspelling) is turning into a great player. There's a lot to this team. But screw 'em.

You called it after the Sharks series, and it rings true now - I like Mike.

Glad to see Bert work his way into the rotation. When's Nick gonna get his due? :D

******* Tomas Holmstrom. More and more he's becoming my favorite Wing. How clutch, big game, determined, menacing, bad ass can a guy be? We would be nothing if not for Homer. God bless you, Demolition Man.

Bert was due. Homer deserved it the most, perhaps, but he made the sig a long time ago, and if I put Homer on the sig everytime he was the biggest impact of the game we'd have like 8 homers up there right now. I think people are mad at my choice of Bert, but he had a good game and part of my factoring in who gets it is who gets bitched at the most (hence Datsyuk being #1)

Nick COULD have been it tonight. He was OUTSTANDING. He could have been it a lot of nights though... There is more of a liklihood that Nick will have an even BIGGER game so I will reserve my rights on him. Anyway, I have something pretty big planned for someone...probably Nick.

Soooo happy Bert scored tonight! He absolutely deserved it. Played one of his best games yet.

Jen, he definitely deserved being on your sig!

Bert..I mean...BERT! I've been listening to all the whining about him and he had a solid game. Even when I didn't think he'd score I thought he was doing so good. The third goal was what chased Giggy..ha ha....the nail in the coffin so to speak. Flip scored! I wanted him to SOOO bad last game. I was so happy. 2 more until Ottawa :D I don't even care if I sound overconfident. I want those Ducks to go DOWN in a bad way.

if I put Homer on the sig everytime he was the biggest impact of the game we'd have like 8 homers up there right now.

:lol:

That is so very true! Homer is the man.

Believe me you are not sounding overconfident. I'm definitely with you. Those punks are going down!

BTW, I am in no way trying to be rude or anything BUT the Ducks fans were awful. They better not even come on here and say it's because of the early start, or the fact that the Wings scored early in the third. *which isn't even really true* the fans were just not into it from the beginning till the end. And they have the nerve to talk about Detroit fans? HA. What a joke. The only time they really cheered is when Homer got hurt, and well that right there says it all..

Edited by HockeyCrazy3033

Ducks org = BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Right now I'm not seeing the silver lining.

Also, another note on the sig. It's totally biased, to everyone who has complained at me, ha ha. You should totally know that by now.

If Ozzie plays 15 seconds in any win, you know he's the player of that game no matter what he does. Heck...he might be responsible in the future for his awesome note taking ability...you never know :P

Guest bullocks

I actually think the NHL should suspend him. Well who doesn't. And for some reason, i think theyll have the balls too. I think the red wings pitch is going to be something like this..."hit from behind, hit to the head from behind, elbow, intent to injure, 4-0 game, holmstrom the key factor, and pronger didnt get anything on the play"..also, cant forget ab out radulovs 1 game suspension at the start of this playoffs and somehting not even close to the severity that could have been with this incident. If holmstrom and the wings wernt pure class, they would have told him not to come back...the only reason why he may not get suspended, is because hes fine. But that should have nothing to do with the decision (so they say).

The Wings absolutely dominated the Ducks in this game - at no point was the outcome of this game ever in doubt. They played the perfect road game, and it showed emphatically on the faces of the Ducks throughout the evening. The Wings are in an excellent position to break the Ducks' backs in Game 4, and have shown tonight they have both the ability and the intention to do just that. What a wonderful display!

As for Pronger, he ought to (and likely will) be suspended. The game was out of hand, there was previous physical altercation between him and Holmstrom, and the hit itself was premeditated and egregious. If it were up to me, he should get 2-3 games. If he's out of any period of time, the Ducks are in serious trouble.

just a quick question - I couldn't see the game and can't find the GDT - could somebody please post the link? Thanks.

Edit: And if there was a way to get a recording of the game, I would really appreciate it.

Edited by unkempt