• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

redandwhiteforever

No one standing up to Pronger...

Rate this topic

Which is one of the many reasons why I love the Wings so very much. Teams can come at them, play cheap and dirty and the Wings will never, ever stoop to their level. Instead they play smart, and take it to them where it really matters, the score board. No need to retaliate physically, instead retaliate with a win where it REALLY hurts.

Should someone have stuck up for Holmstrom? Yes. But being relistic, who on this team is going to do that? Gone are the likes of Probert, Mccarty, Grimson, etc. Another thing to consider is who was on the ice with Homer at time? I can't remember off the top of my head, but if it was our usual top line than i can live without one of them getting injured even if the trade off is a five minute power play with Pronger off the ice. Hopefully the league will now decide that it is their turn to standup for Holmstrom and against dirty headshots in general.

Should someone have stuck up for Holmstrom? Yes. But being relistic, who on this team is going to do that? Gone are the likes of Probert, Mccarty, Grimson, etc. Another thing to consider is who was on the ice with Homer at time? I can't remember off the top of my head, but if it was our usual top line than i can live without one of them getting injured even if the trade off is a five minute power play with Pronger off the ice. Hopefully the league will now decide that it is their turn to standup for Holmstrom and against dirty headshots in general.

OMG did you just forget Joey Kocur? Cmon now.

We need Bert to give him the Engelwood Jack! that'll show em

I wouldn't mind. Remember, this isn't the first time Chrissy's taken a run at one of our key players. Too bad he didn't bust his knee this time. <_<

Really, though, I'll settle for mental damage--as in getting in the Ducks' heads. The scoreboard alone was enough, but then to see Homer come back and grab an assist after they had, I think, tried to take him out of the series? That'll really deflate them.

I was just teasing you. I was actually trying to find the article that mentioned him playing goal in a practice, but came up empty. He was one of my favorites and certainly wouldn't have forgotten him, but felt like everyone knew where i was going.

i wish someone would have beat up Pronger or Perry but I don't think we're gonna see this this year. Bertuzzi keeps saying in interviews that he is here for a purpose and knows his role... he even went as far as saying it's not a role he's fond of, but understands and is excited about doing it. All that makes me think the coaching staff is making it clear to the whole team not to retaliate to ANYTHING.

Pronger's like fifteen feet tall, we don't really have anyone to throw down with him anyways.

this doesn't have to come high. if he's too tall to crash his head, go for his knees.

but that would require Wings to be ******* at the puny level of Dirty Ducks.

and I'm actually proud of the fact that my team does not have to do s*** like that to

win the games. we'll leave such crap to s***ty teams from Calgary and from

Disneyland, giving them a well deserved chance to have some early practice

with putter

to the original poster: hitting and crashing is not our advantage in Dirty Ducks series.

if we started in in 2nd period them, having nothing to lose, would run Dom and our

star players to the bitter end (I mean: further concussions). instead we kept playing

our game and won it clearly, got the mental advantage of Hasek showing them how

mediocre they are. and finally: we delivered a s***ty shot in the end (Maltby's one)

which showed them, we're not gonna forget what they've done.

the thing is: retaliations fuel karma and can lead to scary bounces. instead of giving

them reasons to bounce back, we continued killing them with strong play and

shutout goaltending. and I'm most certain in their dressing room Dirty Ducks looked

on themselves like on crappy losers. if this drags to Game 4 we're in good position

to win it and take home the chance to finish this series. I'll take it

Edited by akustyk

We got our payback in the best and most painful way possible...on the scoreboard. That's our style...not going out and stooping to their level. Calgary tried that stunt, and look what happened to them. Then San Jose tried it, and you see what happened to them - out in 6. This has the potential to wind up the same way, except hopefully it will be over in 5.

The best revenge for us comes on the scoreboard. You hit them where it will do maximum damage.

After Pronger/Niedermayer cheap shotted Holmstrom..all the wings just stood around and did nothing, ANYONE should have got right in Prongers face and at least started a scrum or something. The score was 4-0 and basicaly out of reach, I just want to see our players stick up for each other ~ Other than that..A+ game.

In your terms of "standing up to Pronger", you might be disappointed, but...

As long as the Wings weren't going to implode and play defense, the game was all but determined, the Wings don't play that kind of game where they just will throw a big guy out to fight another big guy after.

To all the physical/grit fans, THIS DOES NOT MEAN THE TEAM ISN'T TOUGH, they've proven after the trade deadline that more often than not that while they still won't physically dominate games, they can dish just as much out as another "physical" team.

Besides, one guy standing up to Pronger could have led to a bad sequence of events, the game spiraling out of control a little bit more, and so forth. I doubt it would've come to this, but we don't want a rehash of the Calgary series where all the Flames were doing, when games were all but determined in the Wings favor, is just contiunally pester and hit people well after dead plays and such.

San Jose and both Anaheim, these first three games at least, have played with a little more class and restraint, despite being physically aggressive teams. Let's let the Wings keep it that way and not stir a boiling pot even more.

Guest jaytan

Unfortunately, the Red Wings don't sign players who stand up for their teammates in that fashion anymore.... I like the wins, but it is frustrating to see the team just sit there and take that kind of garbage. Oh well, I guess it's a byproduct of the "new NH:".

Guest micah

The Wings sent an important message to the Ducks last night: "When we are up 4-0 and have the game practically in the bag, we will still refuse to stand up for our stars if you cheapshot them. Do as you will, we are cowards and ******* who happen to be skilled at hockey. Please don't hurt us." This would not have stood 15 years ago, and it pains me greatly to see so many here stating that winning the game was the best revenge. Newsflash, we would have won the game weather we stuck up for ourselves or not. The only message sent last night was that the Wings are unwilling to stick up for eachother.

If the NHL does nothing about the hit, then I will be pissed that nothing was done. While I agree that keeping Anaheim off the board and getting the "W" is most important, someone has got to stick up for Homer.

Puck Fronger t-shirt time.

Guest jaytan

Maybe Wings fans should take a cue from Pistons fans and get into fistfights with opposing teams' players. It's not like Wings players will do it.

Edited by jaytan

4-0 game, the Wings should have retaliated, yes.

No they shouldn't. We don't have a fighter so we shouldn't give them any sort of battle that they can win and take as a positive out of this game. And we definitely shouldn't sink to their level as it's a battle our team will lose 10 times out of 10 against the Ducks.

Against Calgary, Jarome and Co. were practically begging for a fight or two that they could hang their hat on, and we didn't oblige them. Why should we give them what they want?

Burkie spent a 2nd on Parros, and he's not even dressing. We're hitting about as much as they are. Our guys are not shrinking away from the hard areas of the ice. In fact guys like Z and Pavel are initiating at times. We've neutered their one real advantage, physicality. At this point they're just digging a hole trying to stir s*** up, and if that's what they want we should hand them a shovel and not a ladder.

No they shouldn't. We don't have a fighter so we shouldn't give them any sort of battle that they can win and take as a positive out of this game. And we definitely shouldn't sink to their level as it's a battle our team will lose 10 times out of 10 against the Ducks.

Against Calgary, Jarome and Co. were practically begging for a fight or two that they could hang their hat on, and we didn't oblige them. Why should we give them what they want?

Burkie spent a 2nd on Parros, and he's not even dressing. We're hitting about as much as they are. Our guys are not shrinking away from the hard areas of the ice. In fact guys like Z and Pavel are initiating at times. We've neutered their one real advantage, physicality. At this point they're just digging a hole trying to stir s*** up, and if that's what they want we should hand them a shovel and not a ladder.

It's not sinking, it's just showing some respect for a teammate. Not talking about a bunch of fights, but someone needed to get up in Pronger's grill after that.

Unfortunately, the Red Wings don't sign players who stand up for their teammates in that fashion anymore.... I like the wins, but it is frustrating to see the team just sit there and take that kind of garbage. Oh well, I guess it's a byproduct of the "new NH:".

I agree completely. As much as Shanny dissapointed in the playoffs at times due to lack of production he always stood up for his teammates. Last night was just one of many times this year I wish Shanny was still playing for the Wings. What Pronger did last night has no business in the game. However while seeing Pronger catch a beating would have been nice, a lengthy suspension is ultimately the best remedy for such a play; I am not going to hold my breath because we all know one is not coming.

The NHL also needs to address the careless highsticking that happens in the game. If Maltby got his stick even an inch higher, Gretzlaf's career could have ended last night, and we all remember what happened to Homer. While both incidents(I hope) did not have the element of intent to injure...both incidents could have been career ending. Visors aren't a solution. Tthe only real solution is assessing a major penalty and review by the NHL for possible suspension. I guarantee that if a major penalty is assesed with the possibility for a suspension for a high stick to the face we would see such incidents nearly dissappear.

Guest jaytan

Administering a retaliatory beating can be as good a remedy (or better) than doing nothing, then watching the NHL hand down a suspension. If you fight back, you send the other team a message, that you won't be intimidated and that our star players are off-limits.

Shanahan was (and still is) great, but his role (and the corresponding salary) went far beyond that of an enforcer. We just ought to get a decent, young, reasonably-priced third- or fourth-line winger or big, defensively sound, 5th or 6h defenseman who can and will fight.

(There's a whole league full of guys like that out here, let's scout the WHL better.) :)

Edited by jaytan

Franzen made it a point to finish a couple hard checks on him later in the period.

Besides, I think the biggest "standing up" move came when Holmstrom returned in the 3rd no worse for wear and then twisted the dagger with the assist on Filppula's goal.

To me, it smacks of "Is that all you've got?" and that's a nice psychological boost.

:clap: Well said Matt.

amazing post

In fact guys like Z and Pavel are initiating at times.

OK he's not gonna intimidate many guys ... but why hasn't anyone commented on Pavel finishing his checks. Zata does not shy away much, but Datsyuk? :lol: It's more than a few times in the last 3 series when i've laughed my ass off at seeing him finish checks and trying to knock guys down. :thumbup:

There's already been a fight in this series, it didn't give the Ducks anything to hang their hat on. Holmstrom showed a willingness to mix things up when Zetterberg was being roughed up. These things haven't come back to bite the Wings. On the contrary, they're the very things that have led to success in these playoffs. The Wings have done a great job of standing up for one another. This was just one incident that I would have liked to have seen handled differently. Overall, this team has impressed me with its tenacity and willingness to initiate contact and not back down from scrums.