• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Wing Nut

Who is this Kopetsky guy?

Rate this topic

I was ready to jump through the tv listening to those idiots saying Kopetsky. There is no "s". This is like when people call wrestling "wrastling" there is no "a" in wrestling (I wrestled in college). I thought someone would have told them they were saying wrong.

Ko-peht-sky is the correct way I thought..... Ko-pecky is the wrong way... am I wrong?

Edited by OsGOD

Ko-pet-sky is the correct way I thought..... Ko-pecky is the wrong way... am I wrong?

I've heard this way as well as KO-PECH-KY, and I'm not 100% sure which one is correct. That being said, I'm 100% its one of these two. :P

You are correct in saying Ko-pecky isn't correct.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

I like the "f*** pronger" post.

I still don't get how there is a "s" sound when there is no "s"

Kinda like Patrick Roy. I had a friend that didn't know much about hockey watch a game with me and he said I don't know who this "waugh" guy is but Roy is awsome.

I like the "f*** pronger" post.

I still don't get how there is a "s" sound when there is no "s"

Kinda like Patrick Roy. I had a friend that didn't know much about hockey watch a game with me and he said I don't know who this "waugh" guy is but Roy is awsome.

Why? It's a foreign language. Zidlicky should be pronounced the same way, but he asked to be called by the Americanized pronunciation awhile back (if I remember correctly).

Kinda like Spezza is pronounced Spet-za. It's Italian, so double z makes a different sound than you would hear in English. Bertuzzi should be pronounced the same way, I think, but his family probably adopted the Americanized pronunciation a long time ago, like a lot of immigrants have.

Edited by hockeyfanatic

it's Kopetzky, just as heinrich said. I'm not Slovak, but as a Polish am still aware how to read most Slavic names :)

as for Zidlicky... there's no sound that resembles "Z", which is actually "ž" (hope this diacric sign shows up) and sounds more like "zzsch" if you pronounce the z here as in "buzz" and the entire vowel goes harder than you normally speak in English.

many Slavic languages acutally have lots of such "buzzing" consonants which are basically unpronouncable to English/American but also French/Spanish etc. and it's get weird to explain the sound using English writing :)

Why? It's a foreign language. Zidlicky should be pronounced the same way, but he asked to be called by the Americanized pronunciation awhile back (if I remember correctly).

Kinda like Spezza is pronounced Spet-za. It's Italian, so double z makes a different sound than you would hear in English. Bertuzzi should be pronounced the same way, I think, but his family probably adopted the Americanized pronunciation a long time ago, like a lot of immigrants have.

The Slovak c gives some English speakers trouble, yet most have no problem with other foreign sounds like those in "pizza" or "loch". Look at it another way: In English we have ways of pronouncing letters that are unusual to speakers of other languages. No other language as far as I know associates our long i sound with the letter i -- Spanish pie ("foot") does not sound the same as English "pie". And in cases where the source language is also written with the Latin alphabet, we don't usually Anglicize the spelling when borrowing words or writing out names. Similarly in the other direction, the French borrowing for "weekend" is not spelled *wiquende or *huiquende, nor is the Spanish borrowing for "jeans" spelled *chins. (Of course, there are exceptions: the Spanish word for a long-sleeve knit top is suéter.) Edited by Swimming with the Sharks

Similarly in the other direction, the French borrowing for "weekend" is not spelled *wiquende nor is the Spanish borrowing for "jeans" spelled *chins. (Of course, there are exceptions: the Spanish word for a long-sleeve knit top is suéter.)

I don't know to what extent you refer to Mexican and to what "European" Spanish but it's vaqueros actually :) though, Mexican supposedly use jeans, too (http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=93205).

I agree with your point about not localizing other names, but this is, for many languages, rather new traditions. centuries ago it was rather common to do it. and in Spanish, in particular, this tradition seems to be stronger than in other cases. from the languages I know only Russian beats Spanish on this, but they also have the need to translate to Cyrilic writing and they do it often very literally

So far I dont think anyone is pronouncing the right way...kind of like how Kronwall is pronounced Kronvall.

The Detroit pronounciation has been KO PESS KEE

But I think it would be KO PETCH KEE

do you have a reason you think it's pronounced KronVall? I tend to think we are all saying it right especially since Mickey and Ken say it with a "w." I know that the NHL spells his name Kronvall on score sheets... but that's because there was a typo on his papers when he came to the US. I'd read that this year on either freep.com or nhl.com, i can't remember.

Get used to it. The people on Versus are morons. It's also pronounced Bo-shu-may, not Bo-shu-man. They also put the emphasis on the wrong syllables for Marchants name, and half the time they say Giguere wrong. And where did this Teem-o guy come from? I thought his name was pronounced Tay-moo.

They're just plain stupid. They also think you guys won the cup in 2003 and we made it to the Cup Finals in 2002 :rolleyes: