• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

gcom007

Pronger Suspension: It's not about Game 4...

Rate this topic

Yes, Prongers one of their best players and a great defenseman and it'll be a huge blow to the Ducks in Game 4, but the overriding focus of his suspension shouldn't be about us being able to take Game 4 now. It's not about catching a break to make it easier to win. The bottom line is that this kind of BS needs to stop nomatter what players are involved in any given point of the season. So in the flurry of joy over no Pronger in game 4, don't forget that this isn't about 1 game or 1 player, this is about a much bigger problem that is plaguing the league that needs to stop.

Yes, I agree 100%. They still need to clean up the NHL a little bit. That's why I think fighting needs to still be there. Without, players are just going after players on a regular basis it seems. Because they know no one will stand up and fight. Gawd I REALLY wish there was more us fans could do about we want our sport to look and feel and be available to EVERYONE like NBA and MLB and NFL are!

Yes, Prongers one of their best players and a great defenseman and it'll be a huge blow to the Ducks in Game 4, but the overriding focus of his suspension shouldn't be about us being able to take Game 4 now. It's not about catching a break to make it easier to win. The bottom line is that this kind of BS needs to stop nomatter what players are involved in any given point of the season. So in the flurry of joy over no Pronger in game 4, don't forget that this isn't about 1 game or 1 player, this is about a much bigger problem that is plaguing the league that needs to stop.

Finally the true voice of reason no matter which team you're rooting for in this series.

Yes, I agree 100%. They still need to clean up the NHL a little bit. That's why I think fighting needs to still be there. Without, players are just going after players on a regular basis it seems. Because they know no one will stand up and fight. Gawd I REALLY wish there was more us fans could do about we want our sport to look and feel and be available to EVERYONE like NBA and MLB and NFL are!

you have to hit players in their wallets (as in fines and suspensions) to get the message accross. sure there are dirty players in all sports, but allowing players to police their own sport by encouraging fighting only opens the door for more goonery. that said, i'm glad the nhl actually delivered this time.

You couldn't be more right.

you have to hit players in their wallets (as in fines and suspensions) to get the message accross. sure there are dirty players in all sports, but allowing players to police their own sport by encouraging fighting only opens the door for more goonery. that said, i'm glad the nhl actually delivered this time.

how do you feel about the whole Nash/Horry thing? with all the punishment or lack of given out

Edited by Mudvayneowns91

how do you feel about the whole Nash/Horry thing? with all the punishment or lack of given out

i didn't see it, so i can't really comment. but based on what i've read, horry got a 2-gamer and diaw and stoudmire got 1-gamers for leaving the bench. i'm sure all of them will get docked some pay for the suspensions, but there were no fines as far as i know. the real punishment is hurting their respective teams in their playoff bids. sounds pretty fair to me.

Just saw Don Cherry on coach's corner call the Pronger hit a "push". :blink:

He also said Detroit is catching all the breaks in this series.

I'm losing what little respect I have for this man.

I believe the Wings have no illusions that this judgement on Pronger, while justified and appropriate, has nothing to do with winning the game tomorrow night. They will be focused and stellar, just as they would be had nothing happened. The Wings have momentum and kharma on their side, but that doesn't mean the game's in the bag.

As I said earlier, the game will be more enjoyable for me simply because I won't have to look at Pronger's homely countenance for one game. That alone makes the suspension worth it. :cool:

PS - Cherry is a senile old man, if he believes Pronger "pushed" Homer. Sort of like a wrecking ball gently taps a brick wall and it accidently crumbles?

Edited by puckloo39

I think for the 1st time on this forum I am saying this I AGREE

lol

fighting HAS to be in the game or we will have even more cheap hits and out of control hockey

Just saw Don Cherry on coach's corner call the Pronger hit a "push". :blink:

He also said Detroit is catching all the breaks in this series.

I'm losing what little respect I have for this man.

Don Cherry is a loud and obnoxious lunatic that talks the tough game just for dramatic effects. I don't take anything he says with any seriousness.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

I agree hits like these need to be taken out of the game, and I think you need to start suspending and fining players as well. As far as that other incident in the NBA, its horrible too. I remember when Jordan played that sport there was none of that s***. And the NFL? As much as I try not to romember the Packer Dynasty years you didn't see guys stomping on each other's faces. Didn't one athlete retire from the NFL saying he wanted to be treated like a man and he was tired of playing with little kids?

Cheap shots just suck all the way around, and in the world of U.S. sports they all need to be dealt with alot better.

And it's not that Pronger out for the game is going to hurt the Ducks anymore that we already are going to. If you remember correctly we still shut them out with him on the ice for the rest of the game. :D

As I said earlier, the game will be more enjoyable for me simply because I won't have to look at Pronger's homely countenance for one game. That alone makes the suspension worth it. :cool:

Oh you wont be so lucky , they'll show that replay about 1000 times and inevitably Pronger will be shown in some shape form or fashion probably sitting in the suites somewhere.

You're absolutely right about fines. Although I believe fighting still has its place in the game, because most players understand the on ice chain of command and respect and how to deal with questionable issues, and its usually a mutual and willing event. But that's neither here nor there, fighitng could be debated about forever if we wanted to.

Now I definitely agree with you about fines, these guys on the whole aren't exactly making MLB/ NBA/NFL salaries, you peg them with a stiff fine and they'll think alot harder before they go out and make a bonehead play. I like what the league did with Calgary, giving fines to players and the coach, because the staff in that case clearly played a part instigating some of that goonery.

The sad thing is not only does Pronger think the suspension is rediculous, but the Anaheim organization itself doesn't see what is wrong with this hit, or agree with the suspension. Therefore basically saying this type of thing is okay to see in their uniforms. I don't believe they went as far as Calgary did with Mclelan and gave Prongs the green light to go out there and do that. But after hearing their position on the hit they are basically saying they don't see the problem with it, so its not much different.

Imagine if they come out next season and Pronger runs someone down like that agian because its "okay" with his boss, and that guy ends up like Draper after the Lemiux hit, or Steve Moore or worse. Everyone will be sorry then, including him and the organization. Don't get me wrong I'm not going to say that was anything close to what happened to Moore or Drapes, but it easily could have been. Hitting someone blind hard and high without reguard like that can have the same effect.

Asked if Pronger's hit warranted a suspension, Wings coach Mike Babcock said, "everybody saw it. He's got cuts, he's got 13 stitches. It's not like it's a boo-boo."

Anaheim Ducks GM Brian Burke said in a press conference:" Well, again, our view of the hit is there shouldn't have been a suspension. The player wasn't injured. He finished the game. Got a couple stitches, which would have been preventable if his helmet was properly attached."

Well sorry Brian, apparently you forgot your time as NHL Senior Vice President, and Director of Hockey operations, but the NHL doesn't assess suspensions for not attatching helmets correctly or nobody would play. Unfortunately though hitting their face into the glass from behind is just alot illegal.

Apparently13 stitches to the kisser after a high hit from behind isn't bad enough to punish someone in your eyes? Do they need to be sent to the hospital before its a no no? End their career? Perhaps you want to blame the glass next for not flexing properly? If you want to find something to blame, get down to the real problem in that situation, look in your locker room where No.25 hangs his equipment. The next problem after that is the way you handled it.

That logic baffles me, its the act that needs punishment reguardless of the outcome. If someone robs a bank they don't say well if the bank had the safe closed I wouldn't have been able to steal any money so I shouldn't be charged, if the bank wants the safe open thats their business. Not to mention you're still charged with robbery reguardless if you took $500 or $500,000. They don't say oh it was only $500 it could have been worse I shouldn't be charged. You pay for your actions, intent is intent, we're simply lucky the outcome wasn't worse

They are lucky the only thing assessed to Pronger for the incident was a suspension, and for condoning it they deserve to be fined as an organization. Certainly they are entitled to their right to disagree with the suspension, but they should imply they will take measures to ensure nobody does something like that on their watch again. Instead they basically say they didn't think he did anything out of line. The fact that some young kids learning the game are out there watching this on a pro level and hearing plays like that are acceptable is scary.

Fine these guys, and anybody who provides a place for activity like that to thrive. Its like FUUFNF said, some people only understand the universal language of money, hard nosed hockey is one thing head hunting is another entirely. If they can't tell the difference, or they don't listen to reason or respect the game, then make them pay up.

You're absolutely right about fines. Although I believe fighting still has its place in the game, because most players understand the on ice chain of command and respect and how to deal with questionable issues, and its usually a mutual and willing event. But that's neither here nor there, fighitng could be debated about forever if we wanted to.

Now I definitely agree with you about fines, these guys on the whole aren't exactly making MLB/ NBA/NFL salaries, you peg them with a stiff fine and they'll think alot harder before they go out and make a bonehead play. I like what the league did with Calgary, giving fines to players and the coach, because the staff in that case clearly played a part instigating some of that goonery.

The sad thing is not only does Pronger think the suspension is rediculous, but the Anaheim organization itself doesn't see what is wrong with this hit, or agree with the suspension. Therefore basically saying this type of thing is okay to see in their uniforms. I don't believe they went as far as Calgary did with Mclelan and gave Prongs the green light to go out there and do that. But after hearing their position on the hit they are basically saying they don't see the problem with it, so its not much different.

Imagine if they come out next season and Pronger runs someone down like that agian because its "okay" with his boss, and that guy ends up like Draper after the Lemiux hit, or Steve Moore or worse. Everyone will be sorry then, including him and the organization. Don't get me wrong I'm not going to say that was anything close to what happened to Moore or Drapes, but it easily could have been. Hitting someone blind hard and high without reguard like that can have the same effect.

Asked if Pronger's hit warranted a suspension, Wings coach Mike Babcock said, "everybody saw it. He's got cuts, he's got 13 stitches. It's not like it's a boo-boo."

Anaheim Ducks GM Brian Burke said in a press conference:" Well, again, our view of the hit is there shouldn't have been a suspension. The player wasn't injured. He finished the game. Got a couple stitches, which would have been preventable if his helmet was properly attached."

Well sorry Brian, apparently you forgot your time as NHL Senior Vice President, and Director of Hockey operations, but the NHL doesn't assess suspensions for not attatching helmets correctly or nobody would play. Unfortunately though hitting their face into the glass from behind is just alot illegal.

Apparently13 stitches to the kisser after a high hit from behind isn't bad enough to punish someone in your eyes? Do they need to be sent to the hospital before its a no no? End their career? Perhaps you want to blame the glass next for not flexing properly? If you want to find something to blame, get down to the real problem in that situation, look in your locker room where No.25 hangs his equipment. The next problem after that is the way you handled it.

That logic baffles me, its the act that needs punishment reguardless of the outcome. If someone robs a bank they don't say well if the bank had the safe closed I wouldn't have been able to steal any money so I shouldn't be charged, if the bank wants the safe open thats their business. Not to mention you're still charged with robbery reguardless if you took $500 or $500,000. They don't say oh it was only $500 it could have been worse I shouldn't be charged. You pay for your actions, intent is intent, we're simply lucky the outcome wasn't worse

They are lucky the only thing assessed to Pronger for the incident was a suspension, and for condoning it they deserve to be fined as an organization. Certainly they are entitled to their right to disagree with the suspension, but they should imply they will take measures to ensure nobody does something like that on their watch again. Instead they basically say they didn't think he did anything out of line. The fact that some young kids learning the game are out there watching this on a pro level and hearing plays like that are acceptable is scary.

Fine these guys, and anybody who provides a place for activity like that to thrive. Its like FUUFNF said, some people only understand the universal language of money, hard nosed hockey is one thing head hunting is another entirely. If they can't tell the difference, or they don't listen to reason or respect the game, then make them pay up.

I don't know if i've read a better post :clap::clap::clap:

Amen 19forprez, amen.

These professional athletes are professional no matter what sport they are playing, and should act accordingly. Moreso, they should be looking out for one another professional atheletes are professional because they are elites in their field. Much like astronauts are few, because they are the best for their jobs. Or doctors at say...Mayo clinic. And seeing as how these athletes are elite at their fields, there should be mutual respect, and not some bogus attempts at taking each other out of the field.

A lot of great posts on this one... :clap:

You know, after listening to Burke make excuses and explain away this hit, it's no wonder people think the NHL is a joke... I am by no means an NBA fan, but I believe their commissioner at least has the balls to suspend players for breaking the rules. There was no room for grey areas in his decisions today, he stuck with the letter of the law. Burke trying to say, "If you look at the different views, you can see... blah blah blah." This s*** is ridiculous and shouldn't be a part of the game. Mickey Redmond has been talking about this for quite some time now, but these players have little to no respect for one another. Until that happens or the league grows a pair and starts handing out fines and suspensions, this will continue to be a problem.

The Anaheim Ducks organization is starting to show its true colors. They alow whatever it takes to win necessary, even if it means hurting the other teams players or using a illegal stick. That is just plain classless and sad to see not only a hockey player like Pronger, but a Hockey Organization of the NHL like the Ducks say that these type of plays/illegal blows to the head and intent to injure are just a "part of the game" or he wasn't hurt on the play so he shouldn't be suspended or fined. That is just plain bulls***.

Oh and even team Captain shows his true colors. Scott Niedermayer said: "I mean, my brother got the penalty. They're talking to Chris now. Anybody else they want to bring in? Maybe they should talk to Holmstrom, as well. You know, I don't know. I don't know what they're doing," he said.

So, he is either saying that Holmstrom should also be suspended for facing the boards like that and causing such a bad image on Chris Pronger or he is saying that the suspension should be on his brother and not Pronger. What a dumb comment to make, especially the video evidence of the play shown all over ESPN and TSN and VERSUS., showing Holmstrom's head being smashed into the glass, and then he lays on the ice with blood coming out of his forehead. Even when our head coach Mike Babcock was asked about the hit he said: "Everybody saw it. He's got cuts, he's got 13 stitches. It's not like it's a booboo we're talking about," Detroit coach Mike Babcock said.

:clap: Congratulations Anaheim, your reputation is really starting to show! :angry:

Edited by Salviaman

I think for the 1st time on this forum I am saying this I AGREE

lol

fighting HAS to be in the game or we will have even more cheap hits and out of control hockey

My friend that was not a cheap hit,that was atempted murder.Pronger wanted to take Hommer out of the game no matter what .That kind of s*** needs to be elimanated from this sport all together.

The Ducks are a fine team who can play a good game of hockey.There was no need for that,I don't care what the score or anything else was.That made the Ducks look desperit.And it made Pronger look like the dirty player that he is.

I believe the Wings have no illusions that this judgement on Pronger, while justified and appropriate, has nothing to do with winning the game tomorrow night. They will be focused and stellar, just as they would be had nothing happened. The Wings have momentum and kharma on their side, but that doesn't mean the game's in the bag.

100 % agree!! The judgement on pronger give us an advantage, but no win in game 4.

Our wings have to stay their play like in game 3- so great guys!!!

Go Wings!

100 % agree!! The judgement on pronger give us an advantage, but no win in game 4.

Our wings have to stay their play like in game 3- so great guys!!!

Go Wings!

You've got that right, I can guarantee you with all our veteran presence like Cheli, Nick, Drapes, Malts, Homer, etc, etc, the list goes on.........So with all the guys in our locker room that have been playing playoff hockey for 10+ years there is nobody expecting to have anything handed out in game 4. Both teams will be prepared, both teams will be motivated, it should be a hell of a game.

Edited by #19forPresident!

Yes, I agree 100%. They still need to clean up the NHL a little bit. That's why I think fighting needs to still be there. Without, players are just going after players on a regular basis it seems. Because they know no one will stand up and fight.

There's a logical disconnect here: currently, fighting is allowed, and this hit happened. DId fighting prevent it? No. Could fighting have prevented it? No. Especially not after the fact, which is when most fights happen. To their credit the Wings opted not to go after Pronger, and they won. So how would fighting have addressed this or made it better?

I don't think having the big dog system of authority on the ice has ever prevented rough or even violent play, and the opposite is obviously true.

That's why there are rules. If those rules disallowed fighting as they currently disallow cheap shots and more reviews like this one of Pronger's play were encouraged so that getting away with it on the ice didn't mean getting away with it would go a long way to shutting this down.

There are a lot of other arguments to be had about what should and shouldn't be in the rulebook, but saying that a good fight would have had anything to do with this dangerous hit is a bit disingenuous.

There's a logical disconnect here: currently, fighting is allowed, and this hit happened. DId fighting prevent it? No. Could fighting have prevented it? No. Especially not after the fact, which is when most fights happen. To their credit the Wings opted not to go after Pronger, and they won. So how would fighting have addressed this or made it better?

I don't think having the big dog system of authority on the ice has ever prevented rough or even violent play, and the opposite is obviously true.

That's why there are rules. If those rules disallowed fighting as they currently disallow cheap shots and more reviews like this one of Pronger's play were encouraged so that getting away with it on the ice didn't mean getting away with it would go a long way to shutting this down.

There are a lot of other arguments to be had about what should and shouldn't be in the rulebook, but saying that a good fight would have had anything to do with this dangerous hit is a bit disingenuous.

Psssst - it's called the instigator rule.