• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Yc172

Does the media favor the wings?

Rate this topic

Now throughout the playoffs I have been reading other teams sites message boards and in each round they all say the same thing. They all say that the VS crew is in love with the wings and wants the flames/sharks/ducks to fail. Now i have watched all the games and i havent really noticed this. Is this because im a wings fan? do they favor the wings? Also.. on a side note.. is it just frustration that on all these message boards the fans say the refs are screwing their teams?

I'm new here, but I'll give this a shot because this topic is very personal for me.

I think your question, which boils down to 'why do FANS think the media/refs are pro-Wings?' can be answered very simply: homerism.

My best friend is a devout Sabres fan, and quite knowledgeable about finer points of the game, but her homer blinders are super-glued to her head when it comes to believing that the refs, the NHL, the media, and even the concession vendors are out to get her team (in all fairness to her, I think the infamous No Goal gave every Sabs fan a persecution complex-- it's not paranoia if they really ARE out to getcha! :crazy:

I've seen her beliefs about bias against [insert teeam here] repeated all over the 'net for every NHL team's fanbase-- even here, a little bit, especially about the Versus announcers being anti-Wing tools in Games 1 & 2 (I personally can't say, don't get Vs myself, watch on CBC or listen to RW radio-- BTW, it was just horrendous last night, not being able to see what happened. I'm so glad that I came across this site last week and was able to follow your GDT posts here. Bless you... but I digress).

I think that some kind of protective instinct kicks in when media/refs don't seem to share an often unconditional love for one's team-- as in: Well, if they're not praising us/calling things our way, they must be AGAINST us-- those hosers!!

Anyway, that's my take...... oh s***e, Sens just scored AGAIN... if it's a sweep, SabreFriend'll be bitchin' and moanin' for the next five years..... sheesh, Ottawa, throw 'er a bone, willya ever? :blink:

Guest LivingtheDream

No, they don't. Until the Wings are winning, they are old, tired, finished, weak, small, and overrated. The Ducks are clearly the better team and they had a bad game last night caused by poor officiating. Now, they have to deal with the loss of the classiest guy in the NHL (ranking up there with Iginla and J. Thornton).

Wow, my sarcasm is overwhelming even myself. I just vomited typing that.

No offense, but I can't believe you really watched the post game round table if you say these things. They were absolutely gushing over the WIngs. Ward said they were so good he had nothing to say, absolutely nothing and that his being speechless was a huge indicator of just how good the WIngs were. The rest kept saying "Perfect game, perfect game by Detroit." Then they went on to try and find something the Wings did poorly and the only thing they came up withwas a joke by saying that maybe the team doctor could have been a little faster in stitching up Homer.

Media favoring the wings? :lol: OLN favoring the Wings? :lol:

OLN found a way to praise the mighty foul even when down by 5.... They would have wet themselves if the Mighty Foul would have scored one!

Now throughout the playoffs I have been reading other teams sites message boards and in each round they all say the same thing. They all say that the VS crew is in love with the wings and wants the flames/sharks/ducks to fail. Now i have watched all the games and i havent really noticed this. Is this because im a wings fan? do they favor the wings? Also.. on a side note.. is it just frustration that on all these message boards the fans say the refs are screwing their teams?

According to Wings fans... no

According to the rest of the NHL's fans... yes

Then again the other sites I visit are pro-hockey fighting so they're very biased against the Wings/Euro players/new NHL